HCP waiting time

Guest TennMan

Guest TheBulldog
Another vote here for Jennifer... just asking her nicely for some help (and not being a jerk) went a long way with her after my permit app got lost twice during my four month nightmare.

Here Here! Jennifer is cool as Ice and she gets stuff DONE.

They even lost my prints and I got it fixed thanks to her!

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fast question (not trying to high-jack the thread)

What about all the Wal-Mart’s that sell beer and wine? I guess the members who post they did the wally world walk go to non- alcohol selling ones? Not that I care just wondering is all.

What about all the Wal-Mart’s that sell beer and wine? I guess the members who post they did the wally world walk go to non- alcohol selling ones? Not that I care just wondering is all.

You can go to any place that sells alcohol for off site consumption, IE. Convenience store, wal mart, liquor store, boot legger, gas station, grocery store, etc.

You can not carry in places that serve alcohol for on site consumption, IE restaurant, bar, etc.

So carrying at a Walmart that sells is fine and legal.

Dude!

Where did you take your HCP course?

(they failed you)

- OS

You can go to any place that sells alcohol for off site consumption, IE. Convenience store, wal mart, liquor store, boot legger, gas station, grocery store, etc.

You can not carry in places that serve alcohol for on site consumption, IE restaurant, bar, etc.

So carrying at a Walmart that sells is fine and legal.

Yep...that about sums it up.

Although I haven't seen it recently, many are saying the video provided by the state to use in the class has not been changed since the law was changed. However I think most instructors address this...or should at least.

Guest GunnerD

Called today to make sure everything had been received and was told it was issued today. Turned in paperwork and fingerprints on Oct. 13. Can't complain about turnaround:p

So I filed today.

I walked into the west nash drivers Lic office and got a ticket at 12:38. I gave them a memo from the commander stating I had prior handgun training and qualification. Got out of there about an hour and ten mins later. Went back to work and called the cogent people to register for prints. Drove over to the metro schools at 3 and left there at 3:30.

So I still had to pay 115$ + 19.50$ for a DL renewal.

So I filed today.

I walked into the west nash drivers Lic office and got a ticket at 12:38. I gave them a memo from the commander stating I had prior handgun training and qualification. Got out of there about an hour and ten mins later. Went back to work and called the cogent people to register for prints. Drove over to the metro schools at 3 and left there at 3:30.

So I still had to pay 115$ + 19.50$ for a DL renewal.

Well, you saved $50-90 on a course, though.

Good move for the ole wallet.

- OS

Guest bipe215

I'm at 31 days and counting. A couple questions:

1) Does there seem to be a connection to age, location, traffic violation history, etc of applicants to waiting time?

2) It seems several folks here have called and gotten the 'it was issued today' line. If it does help to call, is there a minimum time to wait before calling?

Thanks in advance.

Steve G

Guest GunnerD

I did not call with the expectation that mine would be ready to go. I was concerned that my prints had not made it over and I wanted to make sure everything was in order so I would not be sitting here at day 100 wondering what is going on.

I think waiting 20 working days (usually, a month) to let them process it is about right.

Their load is probably cyclical. This election is unusual and has put them in high gear. They should trail traditional retail spikes like Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Guest VTCessnaPilot
I'm at 31 days and counting. A couple questions:

1) Does there seem to be a connection to age, location, traffic violation history, etc of applicants to waiting time?

2) It seems several folks here have called and gotten the 'it was issued today' line. If it does help to call, is there a minimum time to wait before calling?

Thanks in advance.

Steve G

In my case, after a month and a half of waiting (and having to fill out the application twice after they lost it), here's what helped me out when I decided to give them a ring-

- Instead of calling and saying "where's my permit", try asking them if they received all your information- application, fee, fingerprints, etc.... that makes it easier to know what, if anything is holding up the process. I would call once every few weeks after that, asking the same info… hopefully you’ll hear “it was issued today”

- MOST importantly... when you call, make sure you're the nicest person they'll talk to all day... I can't tell you how much further a little friendly banter can get you with someone who's used to dealing with a cranky public all day.

I applied Sept 23rd, and after calling last week to just ask what the current cycle time was, in the friendliest possible way, was asked my DL#. The very nice lady then checked, found I too was also "issued today" and by the time it's printed and mailed I should have it about election day.

So..just a couple weeks shy of 3months if it does in fact arrive.

My Wife's boss JUST got his yesterday after a wait of just OVER 3 months.

Seems to me they had a backlog they're catching up on.

Guest bipe215

I was fingerprinted Oct 1. Made 'the call' today. Was told my application had been received and that the permit would get here in 7 to 14 days. :P

Steve G

1) Does there seem to be a connection to age, location, traffic violation history, etc of applicants to waiting time?...

I strongly suspect that if your record doesn't come back as totally "clean", your app will sit until somebody takes personal action. This was pretty much confirmed to me by Ms. Knight, who used the term, "clean scan" more than once to me when explaining why some apps zip through and some take (much) longer. She said those that checks that don't come back totally "clean" must be acted upon "hands on by a person" to clear. She didn't make it clear what department that "person" was in, but it seemed that it was hers.

Had a couple of (not disqualifying) hiccups on my record from 10 and 20 years ago, and I strongly suspect those put me in the "unclean scan" pile, and it was only my calling/emailing that got the permit issued in (barely) under 90 days.

I'm not gonna search back, but there have been a couple of other posts regarding similar things in the past that they had to "clear up", even though they weren't disqualifying because of the nature of the charge or because of the time span since the incident.

And sure, if you are in the "unclean pile" a phone call obviously may prompt that "hands on". Even if you are in the "clean scan" pile, it's pretty obvious that a phone call gets your app acted on immediately as so many report that they are told their permit "was issued" or "would be issued" that day. Sort of the squeaky wheel getting the grease syndrome.

And of course, being nice on the phone is the only way to go, regardless of who frustrated you may feel. The only time I got a little testy (in an email) was when I was told totally bogus info on phone about it perhaps taking as long as 180 days to issue if I "missed the first cycle." And of course, that faux pas probably didn't get me the best preferential treatment, either :P

I just noticed that the TDOS site has been reworked since I was last there, including the HCP dept's. I haven't perused it to see if there is any addition info there, but fact that it has been touched might mean they have some more manpower there or something. Seems that folks may be getting their permits in a more timely fashion in last month or so than previously, dunno.

- OS