HCP waiting time

Guest TennMan

I do not have any legal issues in the last seven years.

I lost my DL for getting several speeding tickets and an accident when i was ~19-20.

All within the last 9 years or so.

Certainly no idea in your case, but know that if anything gets tagged for a second look, your app will not proceed automagically, takes a humanoid to actually do special hands on.

I'm pretty certain that's one of the things that slowed mine down.

I have passed a bg check for a metro police dept app., a us army enlistment bg check x 2, and a us gov secret clearance check.

Well, roger that. I haven't been vetted that extensively, but passed a couple of more than normal background checks in last 5-6 years myself, and of course several TICs for gun purchase shortly before HCP application. But I know my HCP app sat waiting on someone to personally act on it. And sat. And then sat until the deadline when I probably made a little too much noise over it.

- OS

• Replies 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MisterJimmy

I wonder if there is anyone, anywhere that understands exactly how this process works. It seems one big mystery to me.

I've heard of people waiting about four weeks, others more than 90 days, and everything in between.

Mine was 4 weeks to the day, and that included the Thanksgiving week-end, but I did the 'three week check-in'. Maybe it's just a superstition and purely coincidental.

Maybe I've already posted this, but when I called to make sure all the ducks were in a row I was told the only thing pending was the result of the background check. I wondered out loud that I didn't realize a background check took that long and while we were talking my approval "just popped up" and was issued that day it turns out. I got it the next week. Go figure.

Guest marine77

well, it's been about 18 days so far for me. I called yesterday, said had my paperwork and my certificate just waiting on the back ground check. I guess i'm going to have to :tough:

• 3 weeks later...

Mine came in today but,I have already purchased all the 9MM and .45 ammo from the Colonial Hieghts Walmart.

Guess I'll visit the Johnson City location tomorrow.

Guest johnmattwill
Guess it's time to hit walmart.

Oct 30th - Jan 10th.

72 days.

Finally Congrats...... the wait is over...!!! :up:

Mine came in today but,I have already purchased all the 9MM and .45 ammo from the Colonial Hieghts Walmart.

Same Congrats also..... Its always exciting when the wait is over.....

Edited by johnmattwill

Told you 12th or 13th. Be sure to update your profile and list what you're packing.

Told you 12th or 13th. Be sure to update your profile and list what you're packing.

Bubbie,you hit it right on thead.

I going to give every one i know your info.

U - DA - MAN ;

• 5 months later...

Got my HCP 13 weeks after fingerprinting. My uncle got his a few days earlier and we completed our applications the same week.

We both called after 11 weeks and were told that they were due to be issued the next week. I would say that if you are waiting for yours, call after about 4-6 weeks. I've read through this thread that calling may seem to prompt them to bring your app to their attention and 'may' get it issued quicker. Obviously no guarantees but it can't hurt unless you pester them about it. Here is the link for renewals that includes the phone # Handgun Carry Permit Forms.

It sounds like classes are still full and you will probably have to schedule a month out or so and I'm sure that is backing up the processing of the applications. I think that says a lot about how Tennesseans feel about their Second Ammendment rights and I don't see how our legislators can ignore that - regardless of the crap that most media (not to mention our governor and the most enlighted police chief Serpas in Nashville) tries to feed the public about the evils of handguns and how those who carry should be feared.

If you are considering getting your permit or know someone who is, consider going ahead and signing up for a class and get your application completed. I don't want to propose that we get a bunch of citizens carrying handguns that are not qualified, but if you are considering it, go ahead and start the process. Then while you are waiting, you should have plenty of time to research the type of weapon you are most comfortable with and get some experience by going to the range with friends and trying out different guns. Having a permit to carry does not obligate you to do so but exercising your Second Ammendment rights is always a good thing, it gives us a lot of clout with our legislators and may even help deter some BGs.

Guest Cerberus
Got my HCP 13 weeks after fingerprinting. My uncle got his a few days earlier and we completed our applications the same week.

We both called after 11 weeks and were told that they were due to be issued the next week. I would say that if you are waiting for yours, call after about 4-6 weeks. I've read through this thread that calling may seem to prompt them to bring your app to their attention and 'may' get it issued quicker. Obviously no guarantees but it can't hurt unless you pester them about it. Here is the link for renewals that includes the phone # Handgun Carry Permit Forms.

It sounds like classes are still full and you will probably have to schedule a month out or so and I'm sure that is backing up the processing of the applications. I think that says a lot about how Tennesseans feel about their Second Ammendment rights and I don't see how our legislators can ignore that - regardless of the crap that most media (not to mention our governor and the most enlighted police chief Serpas in Nashville) tries to feed the public about the evils of handguns and how those who carry should be feared.

If you are considering getting your permit or know someone who is, consider going ahead and signing up for a class and get your application completed. I don't want to propose that we get a bunch of citizens carrying handguns that are not qualified, but if you are considering it, go ahead and start the process. Then while you are waiting, you should have plenty of time to research the type of weapon you are most comfortable with and get some experience by going to the range with friends and trying out different guns. Having a permit to carry does not obligate you to do so but exercising your Second Ammendment rights is always a good thing, it gives us a lot of clout with our legislators and may even help deter some BGs.

Thanks, I've been waiting about 12 weeks now and getting impatient. I'll give them a call tommorrow.

Edited by Cerberus