But which 1911 ????

Guest rebeldrummer

Guest rebeldrummer

Ok I know that there are a few other 1911 threads roaming around the top of this section....but since I am seriously in the market for a 1911, I need so e imput.

Ok, here are the questions I have. PLEASE answer EACH question so I will know why you chose which one you chose? Dont just say Kimber, because they are awesome?

Since this will be my first 1911, and I plan on shooting the junk out of it and carrying it and getting good use out of it, I am going to set a price cap.

I want to stay under $800. Which would be good in this range?

But, since I am a reasonable guy, I also wanna know about any good ones between that $800 to $1000 range?

Edited by rebeldrummer
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rebeldrummer
I think you forgot your list of questions.

Sorry, I wasn't an English major. Added an actual question and a ? to make it official

I have a Springfield Mil Spec and i am very happy with it. That being said my brother bought an American Classic for about half and it is a very good shooting gun the only thing I did not like were the grips the workmanship on them did not match the rest of the gun it has a great blued finish he ordered another set of grips for it.

Juust get one of the reliable but comparatively inexpensive Philippino made 1911s for around 500.00. Shoot the crap out of it and maybe start tinkering with aftermarket parts. Once you find out how the thing works all the mystery will have been resolved and you will be able to figure out where the hype and quality separate. However, initially those guys who sit around talking about their 1911s while wearing 501 clothes, sporting little mustaches and fancy tactical boots, while showing their cute little pocket knives clipped into their front pocket will try their hardest to disparage your cheap gun while creating significant steaming piles about how their Kimber or Nighthawk will make them invincible against a lowly Armscor.

Bottom line is get a functional and inexpensive 1911 and shoot thousands of rounds. Shoot that gun apart if you can. Learn barrel to bushing fit, lug lock-up, how the link works and work on your own trigger. Buying a thousand dollar 1911 doesn't get you ahead in the 1911 shooting game. Your miles ahead if you buy a 500.00 1911 and shoot 500.00 more of ammo than otherwise would have been shot.

Juust get one of the reliable but comparatively inexpensive Philippino made 1911s for around 500.00. Shoot the crap out of it and maybe start tinkering with aftermarket parts. Once you find out how the thing works all the mystery will have been resolved and you will be able to figure out where the hype and quality separate. However, initially those guys who sit around talking about their 1911s while wearing 501 clothes, sporting little mustaches and fancy tactical boots, while showing their cute little pocket knives clipped into their front pocket will try their hardest to disparage your cheap gun while creating significant steaming piles about how their Kimber or Nighthawk will make them invincible against a lowly Armscor.

Bottom line is get a functional and inexpensive 1911 and shoot thousands of rounds. Shoot that gun apart if you can. Learn barrel to bushing fit, lug lock-up, how the link works and work on your own trigger. Buying a thousand dollar 1911 doesn't get you ahead in the 1911 shooting game. Your miles ahead if you buy a 500.00 1911 and shoot 500.00 more of ammo than otherwise would have been shot.

+1

My $475 Metro Arms shot better than my Colt even before modifying anything. I have since replaced all the MIM internals but there is no need for a range gun or even a defense gun as long as you have a lot of rounds through it. A friend came out with a brand new Kimber TLE, wihich is almost double the cost of my Metro. In the end he liked my Metro better than the Kimber he just bought.

$325 goes a long way towards ammo and the more you shoot the better off you are.

And if you buy an inexpensive gun you won't be afraid to shoot it, modify it or abuse it.

Dolomite

Guest 10mm4me

Colt Gov't XSE, Kimber Custom II, Springfield Loaded, Colt 80 series Gov't...for $800, these are the only ones I would touch.

Guest rebeldrummer

Ok guys, here is what I found.

I can get a Rock Island Tacical (upgraded sights, which I prefer over GI sights) for $509

Or I can get a Para Ordinance GI Expert for $600

Im not too proud to buy the $450 RI, I just have a hard hard time sighting with standard GI sights.

Thoughts on the two listed above?

Guest bkelm18

I can get a Rock Island Tacical (upgraded sights, which I prefer over GI sights) for $509

Im not too proud to buy the $450 RI, I just have a hard hard time sighting with standard GI sights.

Despite the toutings of brand bashers and purists, RIA makes a good gun. The fit and finish won't be Colt quality, but it'll be reliable and a straight shooter.

Guest Oaklands
+1

My $475 Metro Arms shot better than my Colt even before modifying anything. I have since replaced all the MIM internals but there is no need for a range gun or even a defense gun as long as you have a lot of rounds through it. A friend came out with a brand new Kimber TLE, wihich is almost double the cost of my Metro. In the end he liked my Metro better than the Kimber he just bought.

$325 goes a long way towards ammo and the more you shoot the better off you are.

And if you buy an inexpensive gun you won't be afraid to shoot it, modify it or abuse it.

Dolomite

I second this one. You can get it from $420-$450 and they are a very accurate gun. I didn't like the grips either, so I changed them out. No big cost there.

I have had several of the RI's and Metros and I was quite impressed by their performance. For the money they will be hard to beat. As a comparison, I had no more problem out of them than I have had out of Kimber, SA's, Colts, etc. when you are talking about out of the box, un-tuned guns. I believe I will try a SS LW Metro Arms Commander myself.

I recently got a para (ssp version) and it has been a good pistol so far. Its not the same model but if the workmanship is representative of the brand, you would do well with it. Good fit and finish, mine made 2 inch groups at 30 yards and that is about as good as I can do with any gun with iron sights (IE its not the gun..). It did not like JHP ammo (cheap bulk pack, not good SD stuff) during the break in period, and I have not tried any JHP again since polishing the ramp and putting some rounds down the pipe (and it is still not totally broken in, 250 rounds or so). While I got mine for accuracy as an intro to bullseye gun, you might look at their small and/or higher cap models if you plan to carry the gun or use for defense as you stated. Most of their products are a bit pricy but given how well fitted my one example was, it was worth a couple hundred more to me.

I have heard nothing but good things about the RIA guns from many, many owners over the past few years. Their guns appear to be a very good choice for the basic 1911.

For those prices, I'd have a hard time not upgrading to the Ruger. Of course, I'm a Ruger fanboy and haven't held one yet but I'm basing this off the reviews in this forum.

I would go with the Rock Island. Good place to start, most people end up doing some custom work any way.

For those prices, I'd have a hard time not upgrading to the Ruger. Of course, I'm a Ruger fanboy and haven't held one yet but I'm basing this off the reviews in this forum.

I was over at a local gun store the other day inquiring about the Ruger 1911 and word has it that the first one that they receive may have your name on it.

Are you willing to comment on this sir?:eek:

I have a standing order that whenever Ruger releases something new, I have dibs on the first one.

I ended up passing on the LC9. I just can't like the trigger when dry firing. I seriously doubt there will be something that I dislike about the 1911 though.

I have a standing order that whenever Ruger releases something new, I have dibs on the first one.

I ended up passing on the LC9. I just can't like the trigger when dry firing. I seriously doubt there will be something that I dislike about the 1911 though.

Cool. I am thinking about getting the 1911. I have a question about something else. Sending you a pm.

For the money of a RIA buy a Metro Arms. My MA shot better than my Colt. Not saying RIA's are bad but when you compare them side by side I think MA has an edge. Slide to frame fit is great as is the trigger, sights and accuracy.

I paid $475 OTD for mine at a show. On gunbroker there is a seller selling them for <$430 shipped. With transfer and TICS you ate going to come in less than what I paid for mine.

Dolomite