reliability question

bluedog

I'm not going to try to say Glocks aren't good quality; they just aren't for me. We all know they have a good rep. & are well made, but certainly aren't the best out there. SR9's, XD's, XDM's, & Berettas have a much better grip feel in my hands. The quality & reliability of SR9s, Berettas, & Springfields are definetely up to par with Glock. It's just a matter of preference. Any one of these pistols will be a good choice if it feels good in your hands. A Springfield is next on my "to buy" list. I'm keeping a close watch on those classifieds. :rolleyes:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bluedog,

I have an XD(m) and a Sig 229 that you're welcome to shoot if you want to get together at CHMR sometime. $5 and some Wal-Mart ammo is all that's required. I also have a Ruger Mark III in .22lr, which some have suggested you pick up.

PM if you wanna. Also, you need to join up at CHMR - it's $40 / year, and women and children shoot free. It's a great place to learn about what's available; I've gotten to shoot many different firearms there just because the members are so friendly.

-Patrick

....Smith and Wesson Revolver. ....

This is the ultimate reliability champ.

Glock and XD are about as reliable as a semiauto pistol ever gets. The revolver will never fail; it just has limited firepower (...if you are into that sort of thing...). Remember most gunfights are 2 or 3 rounds. A revolver holds 5 or more rounds.

food for thought.

leroy

... The revolver will never fail...

Unless a bullet moves forward from crimp and binds cylinder, or casing rim gets under star extractor and you can't reload, or the safety lock jars on, or squib, or ....

- OS

Guest carter

I carry a Glock 19 daily, I do have many other guns but that is my go to piece, and Glocks are like the Apple i-pod, most holsters and accessories are geard to them and will have no trouble finding what you want

Unless a bullet moves forward from crimp and binds cylinder, or casing rim gets under star extractor and you can't reload, or the safety lock jars on, or squib, or ....

- OS

My revolver once "jammed" , the cylinder would'nt turn . It was a bullet that came un-crimped and moved forward . It was something to remember . It always sticks out in my mind when people sing praises of Revolvers . They TOO can fail .

My revolver once "jammed" , the cylinder would'nt turn . It was a bullet that came un-crimped and moved forward . It was something to remember . It always sticks out in my mind when people sing praises of Revolvers . They TOO can fail .

Hah that may be one of the worst things I ever had to fix... someone gave me some 44 mag ammo when I was very young (my first pistol was a blackhawk 44) and they didnt crimp any of it (reloads)... all 5 of the remaining shots pulled and it took me a very long time to recover the gun, somehow, after a lot of work, I was able to push the lead back in just enough to disassemble it. Totally unrelated but of interest, the magazine of the desert eagle keeps the lead from coming out too far, making it the more reliable weapon for shooting junky ammo...

The revolver will never fail;...

Hah! I wish that were true. I once had an issued S&W Model 66 .357 in which the spring in the cylinder release broke. This allowed the cylinder release to move slightly forward, locking up the action of the gun. Every time I drew from the holster, I couldn't pull the trigger at all, unless I manually moved the release back into battery. Then I could only get off one or two shots before the problem would occur again.

At least with a semi-auto, I can easily clear malfunctions. With a revolver, it is a whole different story.

No gun is perfect.................and never say never. :D

Guest Lester Weevils
Anything mechanical can fail. I do, however, contend that a pre lock Smith and Wesson revolver is one of, if not the most reliable handgun in existance today.

Hadn't shot the old S&W 586 for awhile so took it to the range today. It was nearing nightfall and some young folk and me were the only ones left and they were impressed with the sound and flash of the 586. I let em all shoot it (light reloads with Blue Dot powder) and they liked the sound and fireball and commented on the stiff recoil.

The recoil ain't that bad with practice loads. Tried to explain that it is a lot louder with a stronger kick using full-tilt-boogie rounds, but hadn't brought any fill-tilt-boogie rounds for them to play with. S&W makes neat cannons.

Looked like the kids might go shopping for revolvers sometime soon. Maybe a lot of youngsters haven't ever shot one.

Hadn't shot the old S&W 586 for awhile so took it to the range today. It was nearing nightfall and some young folk and me were the only ones left and they were impressed with the sound and flash of the 586. I let em all shoot it (light reloads with Blue Dot powder) and they liked the sound and fireball and commented on the stiff recoil.

The recoil ain't that bad with practice loads. Tried to explain that it is a lot louder with a stronger kick using full-tilt-boogie rounds, but hadn't brought any fill-tilt-boogie rounds for them to play with. S&W makes neat cannons.

Looked like the kids might go shopping for revolvers sometime soon. Maybe a lot of youngsters haven't ever shot one.

I invited a young boy at work home to shoot. He brought an AK47 and some sort of pistol. I got out two or three S&W revolvers and let him shoot them. He bought two for himself before the next week was over. Like you said, he'd never fired one, and had no idea how well they shot and felt.

So many opinions so I'll give mine anyway. If absolute reliability is the issue then the revolver (the S&W 642 .38 +P is a solid hammerless choice) is the choice assuming you are not involved in a protracted gun fight!!! I have become a big fan of the Glock 9s and 40s. I have never had a single jam or stove pipe with any, except the ones set up by the instructor of one of our handgun classes. I have found they are a little big and heavy for CC, but I do it (I am 5'11" and 185). I also love the S&W M&P .40 compact, because of its reliability and better size and weight for carrying. I would suggest getting and practicing with the gun/caliber you plan to carry and I also suggest taking various classes offered by most ranges. They are inexpensive and help you build your skills and confidence with your weapon.

Price: if you want a solid used gun, especially Glocks, go to expresspolicesupply.com where you can find the best prices on new and police trade-ins. I have bought a few and they are great quality and value. They also don't rip you off on shipping which runs around $24 for FedEx Ground. Then just find a FFL that charges no more than $20-$25 for the transfer and you have a good deal!

Last note: I also have an older Beretta 92F which was 100% reliable until the last year or so. I keep it clean but sometimes can't squeeze off 2 rounds before it jams up. I suspect the magazines but haven't figured that out yet. The point is: you can have a great and reliable gun that becomes a POS with crappy magazines so stick with solid factory versions. Aimsurplus.com will frequently receive shipments of new and used Glock Mags for $25 and $15, respectively. Never a single issue with these. (They also get some great deals on ammo.)

Have fun and be safe..................

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the input. I ended up buying a gen 3 Glock 23 today from Goodletsville Gun Shop, and I'm taking my HCP class this weekend. After trying out a lot of guns the Glock grip felt a lot better to me. The .40 recoil is a little harsh, but the more I shoot it the more used to it I get. Seems like the perfect compromise between performance and capacity in the mag.