reliability question

bluedog

Love the forum and have learned a ton just reading. I've been saving a few months and am planning on buying my first handgun soon (and plan on getting my permit this summer). My main priority is a no hassle gun.

I want to stay under $500 and know that Glock seems to be the undisputed reliability champ (at least gen3 anyway). Not a huge fan of the grip though. I have yet to try m&p and xd, but if I like the feel of one of those, should I have any concerns with it going bang when I need it to? Any other brands I should consider? Thanks!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... I have yet to try m&p and xd, but if I like the feel of one of those, should I have any concerns with it going bang when I need it to?..

Nope. They are both in Glock class for reliability and durability.

If you're like many, you may find that the XD points more naturally than a Glock. I certainly did.

- OS

Nope. They are both in Glock class for reliability and durability.

If you're like many, you may find that the XD points more naturally than a Glock. I certainly did.

- OS

+1 to this. I started with a XDm 40 and loved it but after using a Glock 19 I can't stand my XDm trigger reset any more.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

just my $0.02 but go somewhere and try them, if you are a new shooter, junoir or a small built woman the glock will stove pipe long before the others. i have seen this first hand with my own wife and kids.

when the wife first started shooting she would have every few rounds and youngest son when he first started was luckly to get 2 rounds off.

Guest Lester Weevils

Hi Bluedog

You didn't mention whether you are looking for a carry gun or a range gun. Of course most can be used for both, though some seem better for carrying.

Just for a reliable gun, not necessarily the best for civilian concealed carry, the Beretta 92FS and CZ-75 or CZ-85 will just about always go bang and are generally more accurate than most shooters. They seem to run a long time with minimal maintenance. Used or perhaps even new in some cases, you can find them in the $500 and below range.

Lots of people do carry them. They are not impossible to carry. I have both and enjoy them a lot but they wouldn't be the first carry choice.

They are very solid and reliable and fun, though.

Thanks for all the input. I haven't shot a lot but have never had any issues with Glocks. My brother has a 23, and I rented a 30 the other day. It did have one jam, but I blame it on the cheap ammo and the filthy gun. I definitely liked the feel of the recoil of the .45 better than the .40. I won't carry a ton because I'm a teacher, but I know I can conceal a 23 without a problem (6' 190#). I'm leaning toward buying a Glock 19, but like I said the grip isn't my favorite. Do the interchangeable backstraps on the m&p make a significant difference in the grip size? I'll definitely take a few more trips to the range and try as many as I can before I buy. I bought a Bersa .380 on a whim about 5 years ago and regretted it once I started learning more about ballistics.

I couldn't agree more with gregintenn about getting a revolver, if "no hassles" is high on the priority list. It doesn't get any simpler to operate, but fast reloads take a LOT more practice.

If you're leaning toward pistols instead of revolvers, I love Lester's CZ recommendation. They are every bit as reliable as the ones mentioned and have nearly perfect ergonomics.

There are several compact versions of the legendary CZ 75. The most popular are the PCR (manual safety) and P-01 (decocker), both have alloy frames and are the size of a Glock 19. They also make the RAMI, which is a subcompact about the size of a Glock 26.

I carry the P-01 daily and wouldn't hesitate to vouch for its reliability and highly respectable accuracy. Check out this link regarding their NATO classification.

I haven't found reliability to be a problem with any of my pistols other than an AMT. If possible, find a place where you can rent and try several pistols before deciding which is best for your needs.

Love the forum and have learned a ton just reading. I've been saving a few months and am planning on buying my first handgun soon (and plan on getting my permit this summer). My main priority is a no hassle gun.

I want to stay under $500 and know that Glock seems to be the undisputed reliability champ (at least gen3 anyway). Not a huge fan of the grip though. I have yet to try m&p and xd, but if I like the feel of one of those, should I have any concerns with it going bang when I need it to? Any other brands I should consider? Thanks!

IMO the Smith & Wesson M&P feels great, it would be a good choice. If you want to stay under $500 look at the Ruger SR9 OR SR9c. The Ruger is a great value.

In a very general sense, the most unreliable guns are going to be the really, really small ones. I like small guns for defense (I pretty much will not carry it if I cannot get it into a pocket) and the small 40s, 9s, and 45s often have issues ranging from user caused (large caliber in a small gun can lead to holding it wrong which can jam a semi auto) to mechanical (the small ones just have less room to do their cycle, and some of them cut it short or have borked up feed ramps or questionable ejectors, etc). Smaller guns in smaller calibers are usually better but even those can be troublesome.

If you want reliable, go with a slightly larger one or choose your small gun very, very carefully.

Guest The Highlander

OK my advise is a little different than what you are getting here. I LOVE Glocks, but have no problem with SIG's, HK's, or many others. The Ruger SR9 is by far one of the best feeling pistols on the market in my opinion as well. It would be a first choice, and is less than a Glock.

BUT, for a first gun, forget all that and get a good quality .22 lr pistol such as a Ruger Mk II or Mk III, Browning Buckmark, and so on. The Beretta NEOS thing looks futuristic, but ergo's suck in my opinion. I also don't care for the Walther P22 although many people including my daughter swear by them. I just don't care for the accuracy, the size is great.

A .22lr will be cheaper to buy, and MUCH cheaper to feed. That means you will shoot it more and become proficient much more quickly than feeding a relatively expensive 9mm or other centerfire.

After you get good with a Mk II, then try an SR9, Glock, XDm or whatever.

The Highlander

I’ve had several M&P’s now and they have all been flawless. Smith & Wesson’s Customer support (Should you need it) is second to none.

M&P’s are made by Americans in America; Glock and XD’sare not. (If that’s important to you; it’s a deal breaker for me).

My Glocks have never failed to go Bang when asked. My G-19 has probably had 20,000 rounds through it, my G-21sf probably 5,000. I absolutely love my Glocks. Not everybody feels that way about them though. That being said I have fired and like the XD, various Sigs, and the Smith M&P with excellent results. Reliability on all the above is said to be excellent. As several posters have said above, try them all. Buy the one that feels best for you. Your comfort with your gun is the most important thing to consider.

I'm going to get flamed but my previous Taurus 24/7 fired well over 1,000 rounds in less than a week without a single issue. My current one has close to 500 trouble free rounds. I am not a fan of Taurus but I couldn't pass on the deal I got on this one. And the last one I made $75 on even after it was well used. I feel comfortable enough that it is my EDC.

I have owned Glocks in the past but never really liked them. I have smaller hands so they tended to be a bit big for me. I agree that the SR-9 is a very nice pistol, as is the XD and the CZ's. Another alternative for a decent, economical pistol is the European American Armory offerings.

Dolomite

If opinion counts, may I suggest a PX4, Cougar, SR9, or XD. All of these are excellent quality pistols & can be relied on when it counts. It comes down to a matter of shooting preference, caliber, & size. Try out as many pistols as you can & see what you are most comfortable with. I've always preferred Berettas for quality and feel. They've proven to be very reliable & never wear out. Just my :):P

I always try reloads with rifle primers in a pistol. My Beretta PX4 had multiple misfires with such reloads. It's 3 piece firing pin is too complex to be reliable. It is not an issue if you run quality ammo in a clean gun.

Speaking of reliability. CZ-52 has roller locking mechanism. It can handle both weak and overpowered cartridges better than Colt-Browning system. It also has strong hammer capable to ignite any primer. Too bad CZ-52 is out of production for already 30 years

I also endorse the .22 idea. Go get a Ruger .22 pistol and once you shoot 10,000 rounds (it doesn't take that long if you get several additional magazines). Shooting is like any other skill sport, get a little guidance from someone who knows what they are doing then repitition, repitition. Why Ruger? Plenty of aftermarket, great value, lasts a lifetime. Get one with a 4" barrel and probably a 22/45, which will come close to replicating the dimension and weight of the top tier self-defense pistols.

At this time I only shoot 9mm for self-defense and options might be different for me in different calibers.

Why I like Glock 19 over XD and M&P: XD has a bore axis I don't particularly like in comparision to Glock or M&P. XD(M) has a great trigger and grip ergonomics, but the bore axis gets into my head. I have never heard an owner of a XD in .45 complain about them.

The M&P is just a tad more "fiddley" in the action than the Glock and the backstrap hits the bone in the base of my stronghand thumb wrong. M&P has a relatviely low bore axis.

Stock Glock has a blockier grip that is not near as pleasing as M&P or XD to many people. The Glock points a little differently than a 1911. Glocks are just a tad more simple than the other two in my opinion. The ergonomics of the Glock can be overcome with a dremel and wood burning pen.

I really like the SR9C for a number of reasons and think everyone should try one, but I already have a couple of Glock 26s and in that size G26 is good enough, plus the 26 can use any of my Glock 9mm mags, of which I have quite a few.

You should try a Sig, I have several friends who swear by them, but I find them too fiddley, higher bore axis than M&P or Glock, and they don't have plastic frames/receivers except for the 250, a model I am not real high on.

The pecking order in degree of machoness seems to flow like this: 1)1911/Sig/H&K, 2) Glock/M&P, 3) XD, 4) Ruger, Then you get in low density numbered pistols like FN, CZ, Bersa, EAA which in most cases are fine pistols. For private citizen SYA pistols all these work pretty well. Simplicity for me goes to Glock and 1911. Ease of carry and care for me goes to Glock. Revolvers are great, especially S&W or Ruger, but I like a Glocks higher capacity. I used to think Ruger or S&W revolvers were the most reliable handguns, but now give my nod to Glock 9mm 3rd Gen.