How do you feel about signage that kinda gives a "wink and a nod" to us?

Guest peacexxl

Guest peacexxl

I will need to retrace my steps to find the place, but I recently visited a business that I hadn't been to in a while. After the original law change, this place was posted with a gunbuster sign, but law change 2.0, the gunbuster sign went away and they are now posted with no gunbuster and a sign that clearly DOES NOT contain similar verbage to what is stated in TN code.

This to me says, "if you carry and you know the law and are responsible enough to do the esearsch that tells you this sign is not a legal posting, you are welcome, but if you have not bothered to educate yourself and this sign bothers you then don't carry here".

What do you all think about a business that seems to go out of its way to post in a way that does not meet the legal requirements?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will need to retrace my steps to find the place, but I recently visited a business that I hadn't been to in a while. After the original law change, this place was posted with a gunbuster sign, but law change 2.0, the gunbuster sign went away and they are now posted with no gunbuster and a sign that clearly DOES NOT contain similar verbage to what is stated in TN code.

This to me says, "if you carry and you know the law and are responsible enough to do the esearsch that tells you this sign is not a legal posting, you are welcome, but if you have not bothered to educate yourself and this sign bothers you then don't carry here".

What do you all think about a business that seems to go out of its way to post in a way that does not meet the legal requirements?

You'd have to prove to me that businesses go out of their way to post in a way that doesn't meet legal requirement. To me, it just says they are lazy and/or ignorant. I don't go in anywhere that is posted in anyway.

I get what you are saying and if I were to have a discussion with owner of said business I may go in, but I don't go for innuendo. It's either yes I can carry or peess off!:)

Personally, I view them the same as someone who posted legally as far as how I feel about the business. I'd rather take my money someplace else. In reality, I do business with legally posted places because sometimes I just have to. As far as carrying, I might carry past that sign. It depends on the type of business, how long I'll be there, how likely I am to be "made". I'd be extra conscious about keeping super concealed. There's no case law that I know of yet, and i don't want to be the first. No, they didn't meet the letter of the law, but it's clear what the shopkeeper is saying.

Guest friesepferd

i know some places that do that. I'm fine with it. I can still legally carry there, I guess it makes some of their other customers happy? I donno, and I dont care.

i know some places that do that. I'm fine with it. I can still legally carry there, I guess it makes some of their other customers happy? I donno, and I dont care.

That's the way I feel about it. If the business wants to sit on the fence and try to please everyone, it's fine with me. I'm kinda amused by "No Weapons" type signs. Heck, I don't carry weapons.

I think any place that displays a "Gun Buster" sign intends for you to not carry there. They are just not aware of what constitutes a "legal" posting. Since there have been several threads relative to what is legal I think some if not most of us also aren't sure.

Guest friesepferd
I think any place that displays a "Gun Buster" sign intends for you to not carry there. They are just not aware of what constitutes a "legal" posting. Since there have been several threads relative to what is legal I think some if not most of us also aren't sure.

maybe i missread your post... but it sounds like you may not?

The "gun buster" sign is a legal posting. If that sign is up, it is illegal for you to carry there.

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
maybe i missread your post... but it sounds like you may not?

The "gun buster" sign is a legal posting. If that sign is up, it is illegal for you to carry there.

Definitely some confusion here. But the OP indicated that the establishment does not currently have a gun buster. They do have a sign indicating that they don't want guns, though.

Definitely some confusion here. But the OP indicated that the establishment does not currently have a gun buster. They do have a sign indicating that they don't want guns, though.

Yes, but friesepferd's comment was really an aside, responding to Bubba0031's post, which intimated that a gun buster sign alone is not statutorily sufficient.

- OS

Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
Yes, but friesepferd's comment was really an aside, responding to Bubba0031's post, which intimated that a gun buster sign alone is not statutorily sufficient.

- OS

I'm with you there. I just wanted to make sure that it was clear that the OP was saying there was no gun busters sign because it seemed that Bubba also thought that there was a buster up.

Picture of sign...and where is it (bus. name)?

Guest JohnL

I have been wondering if the "wink and a nod" signs are merely to provide the establishment a reason to selectively toss somebody out or to deny access for a different reason. Not with malice towards firearms, just a CYA.

"We asked the patron to leave the premises due to a weapon on his belt." (NOT because he reeked to high heaven, wiped his nose on the drapes, and called the cashier "toots".

why does some one have to have this legal sign why cant people honor someone elses property rights. i have never understood the problem if someone wants to post there property then all i need is a sign it doesnt have to go by the letter of the law i just wont go there if i want to carry.

Guest friesepferd
why does some one have to have this legal sign why cant people honor someone elses property rights. i have never understood the problem if someone wants to post there property then all i need is a sign it doesnt have to go by the letter of the law i just wont go there if i want to carry.

*shrug* if they want to post a legally binding sign, then they can post a legally binding sign.

If they want to post a non legally binding sign, then the person carrying can do whatever they want. They can either carry and not care, because they are comitting no crime, or they can not give that company their business, or they can go on in, but leave their gun behind. Its up to each person to decide that if someone is going to post a nonlegally binding sign.

Personally, I just don't care. If it is a place I really want to go in, then I'll carry. If I can go across the street to the place that isn't posted at all, then I'll go across the street because I prefer companies that don't post stupid signs.

like i said why not honor some ones rights i try to let my rights stop at my nose just by your statement you dont care about another persons rights if it does not go along with yours thats part of whats wrong with our country today folks just dont care about other folks rights to their property

Personally, I view them the same as someone who posted legally as far as how I feel about the business. I'd rather take my money someplace else. In reality, I do business with legally posted places because sometimes I just have to. As far as carrying, I might carry past that sign. It depends on the type of business, how long I'll be there, how likely I am to be "made". I'd be extra conscious about keeping super concealed. There's no case law that I know of yet, and i don't want to be the first. No, they didn't meet the letter of the law, but it's clear what the shopkeeper is saying.

This is pretty much how I feel.

I may be wrong, but personally I don't think most "improperly" posted places are trying to pacify the sheep and allow us to carry, as some think. I just think they don't know the law.

As far as property rights...I have the right/bought privillage to carry my handgun anywhere I choose that it is lawful to do so. If a property owner doesn't wish me to carry on his property, he has a lawfuly binding way of notifing me of his wishes.

like i said why not honor some ones rights i try to let my rights stop at my nose just by your statement you dont care about another persons rights if it does not go along with yours thats part of whats wrong with our country today folks just dont care about other folks rights to their property

It could be argued both ways. By saying no firearms you are taking away someone else's right to bear arms and or defend theirself. Someone always loses when it comes to rights i think. Its just the 2nd amendment is kinda high up there because without it none of the others really matter.

My point wasn't whether the "Gun Buster" sign is or isn't legal or whether myself, the OP or any eles knows what is or isn't legal. My point was that I think the average small business person that chooses to post most likely goes to the local office supply store and purchases a generic Gun Buster or No Weapons sign or whatever may be available. We've discussed the issue in several threads becasues it's important to us but all the average business wants to do is place a sign conveying the message that they do not weapons in their place of business. They most likely have no idea whether the sign actually satisfies the requirments of applicable laws at their location.

Guest friesepferd

i agree that 99.9% of the places that have a 'non legally binding' sign, just dont know the laws.

and I am okay with that. I would rather them most a random "no guns" sign, than one that actually dissallows me to carry in there.

Again, if it convenient for me to shop elsewhere, I will, but if someone posts some sign that legally means nothing to me, then at least I have the option to go in!

Guest pfries
i agree that 99.9% of the places that have a 'non legally binding' sign, just dont know the laws.

and I am okay with that. I would rather them most a random "no guns" sign, than one that actually dissallows me to carry in there.

Again, if it convenient for me to shop elsewhere, I will, but if someone posts some sign that legally means nothing to me, then at least I have the option to go in!

yeah that :rolleyes:

Guest -BeanHead-

Ok, here is one for you all. This was about a year ago but after reading others i wanted to share. Joe's Crab shack in Memphis. I went in carrying and didnt see a sign. had dinner and on the way out I noticed a sign.... above the door frame, not in plan sight. Thats not my fault for not seeing a sign if its not were you can see it is it??