Gun City Incident

When I was first out of college, we sold our first company and had gotten a CEO who turned out to be a thief. He was a friend to many in the company, but we saw what was happening and went up our new chain of command. They ended up firing him, but unbeknownst to him, they used us to lock him out of everything.

After the firing, he called a last meeting, came before our team and reported that he had done what he had been hired to do, fulfilled his commitment, "delivered the ship home", and was leaving to pursue other opportunities. He lied to our faces. Everyone in the room knew what he had done, though he had no clue.

In the coming months, he couldn't figure out why no one wanted to hang out anymore. I wish at 23 years old I had had the nerve to call him on his lie.

I took something from that situation that I've carried the rest of my life. That day, he could have walked into that room and told us that he had screwed up and was sorry. His choices affected all of us negatively, but had he walked into the room and admitted it and apologized, he would have walked out of that room with our respect and at least some friendship. Instead, he lied to our faces and lost 28 friends. And, instead of moving forward, his poor choices have followed him for the last 15 years.

Buford, if you happen to read this (or are forwarded it by proxy) know that some good can come from your situation. And, the choices you make in the following days will affect how you are remembered. There is a lot that every gun owner can learn from your incident. You violated at least two of the top 4 rules of handling a weapon. They're there for a reason.

By telling your story honestly and admitting your mistake, you deliver a valuable lesson that each of us need to hear. Instead, you're in danger of becoming a punchline, and rightfully so. As the story stands right now, you'll deserve it.

You've got supporters and detractors just the same as anyone. Don't fool yourself, though. Sometimes, the naysayers have a point that's worth listening to and thinking about.

You have an opportunity to take a bad situation and let some good come from it. Figure out a way to do this. I expect whatever legacy you have as a trainer depends on this.

Well said, wise man with two pinkies.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats got to be Photoshopped right..... RIGHT?

If not, well then all I can say is wow, just wow. How could an instructor ask his students to break the first principle of firearm safety?

Wow....

I have personally witnessed Buford order a 40+ person class to do this and dryfire at him.

When I first heard that there was an "incident," this is what came to mind.

I am glad it was something different and less serious...

Edited by TN-popo
Guest BenderBendingRodriguez
My faith in statistical probability is starting to waver.

How many classes does he teach in an average year? With how many students per class? And for how many years? We may not yet be at a high enough count to invoke any rules of big numbers. The statistics will catch up with him sooner or later, though. I mean, they certainly tried to this time around...

• Admin Team

One other thought crosses my mind in this thread, and that is all of the people who have pointed their weapons at this man's head over the years. Yes, they are beginners. Yes, he told them to. And yes, every single one of them broke one of the fundamental rules of weapon safety.

It doesn't matter if someone has "checked" your weapon and told you to do it. When you pick up a weapon, the final responsibility for using it safely rests with you. Period. The above picture is not okay on either end of that weapon.

I know we attract members who are new to firearms all the time. I know we have people who don't have other training, whether an HCP class, a defensive class or otherwise. Learn from these peoples' mistakes. When you pick up a weapon, you are the final arbiter of it's use. You can't delegate this responsibility. You are the one who would have to sleep with yourself if you shot someone. Don't allow anyone to tell you to do something unsafe. There are some great trainers who have jumped in on this thread. I know that they would expect their students to call them on it if they did something unsafe. The thing that really bothers me about this thread is seeing all these other people standing around watching their classmates point a weapon at their instructor's head.

Guest Aces&8s
BufordDouchemoment.jpg

This is, in my opinion, the absolute height of irresponsibility. A supposedly credentialed instructor who is instilling in his students the belief that it is acceptable to point a firearm at another person. How many of these people are going to go home and think that it is fine to point their gun at their spouse because they "know" that it is unloaded... I mean, the instructor said it was ok, right?

I was raised to treat every gun as if it were loaded, and I have on at least a couple of occasions found to my surprise that a firearm that I thought was unloaded was not, but have avoided any ADs simply because I check every time. This idiocy that is being perpetrated by a supposed "professional" is going to lead to someone getting shot one of these days.

Oh, and not that it matters, but I am in the "he pulled the trigger" camp, too...

1. When I saw this very scene play out, all I could think is "damn I wish I had a 9mm blank"

2. Check the grip on the lady W/ the gun, is BT teaching the homeboy nitesight shooting system now?

3. Is looney tune shooing his pinky off "The Gun City Incident" ?

Guest friesepferd
1. When I saw this very scene play out, all I could think is "damn I wish I had a 9mm blank"

2. Check the grip on the lady W/ the gun, is BT teaching the homeboy nitesight shooting system now?

3. Is looney tune shooing his pinky off "The Gun City Incident" ?

1. rofl; yep

2. yea.. i was wondering about that actually. what the heck?

3. yep