Middle Tennessee Police Profiting Off Drug Trade?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was waiting for someone to post it. As bad as Phil Williams can make it look to the public it isn't that way on the seizures. It isn't the law abiding Joe getting stopped and his $50 bill from his wallet is taken. These are people typically with false compartments with money packaged that also have odor of narcotics on it. They either act stupid and disown the money or admit it was proceeds to narcotics. The money is seized by swearing to a judge and deposited in the Drug Fund. That money can only be used legally for certain things. I don't know about you but they want to keep seizing money from smugglers and couriers so my taxes won't go up for certain things fine.

• Admin Team

I'll leave this up for now, but if this thread takes a turn, and I shut it down for cop-bashing, it will be the third we've closed in as many days.

Infractions will be given.

Feel free to discuss the subject at hand, but tread carefully. This is your warning.

Guest RobThatsMe

Hi,

I watched the News 5 report the other night. The two things that concerned me regarding the report were the findings that most of the stops were on the West bound lanes, which involved obtaining the money, and not the drugs, (which would be traveling on the Eat bound side), and the second concerning thing was that the task forces, as reported, seemed to be jockeying for I-40 turf rights.

It would seem that the operation could be better managed, IMHO.

Rob

I'll leave this up for now, but if this thread takes a turn, and I shut it down for cop-bashing, it will be the third we've closed in as many days.

Infractions will be given.

Feel free to discuss the subject at hand, but tread carefully. This is your warning.

Why exactly is it taboo to quote "cop bash" on specific instances where they are in the wrong? If anything they SHOULD be bashed harder for the wrongs they do, they SHOULD be held to a higher standard. Ghetto trash peddling crack is no surprise, but when the men and women that are supposedly working to make us safe have a hand in illegal activity ....oh nevermind.

Guest Arch

When I was sworn into service, it was to uphold the law and be above reproach in the public eye. Yes LE is human..but its what was signed up for. The pay and hours can suck but its what was signed up for. Everyone should get what they have coming to them no matter who it is. Anything less than that and you have corruption in some form.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Having 200K or more in cash in the back of your rig is certainly one hard thing to explain and unless the person can prove where the money came from I have no problem with the Police taking it. I do wish that they could also charge these people with something but also understand just how hard it would be to prove without a doubt where the money came from in a courtroom.

When I go to FL I will have 2-4K in cash on my person just in case of some emergency in which plastic could not be used. Or even an accident or breakdown that would require me to be in a motel for an extended period of time. Many things could happen and I can only spend 1000 at a time on my debit card without calling the credit union first which would be impossible on a weekend. I have often wondered that if I was to be stopped and this amount of money be found if it would/could be seized.

I dont break traffic laws or any for that matter so the odds of that happening to me I feel are very slim. None the less I make sure that I make the withdrawal from my bank a day or two before I leave and keep that receipt handy just in case.

That is probably over-kill/paranoia on my part but I feel better for it. Then again I suppose that if I was stopped and the Officers wanted to keep my money that they would. I would however be going back to wherever it was to fight to get it back.

But in these cases we are not talking about a few K that a person may have but ten or more times that amount and the drivers can not prove in any way where the cash had come from no more than the Officers can outright prove that it is drug money. So to me it is a tie and a tie goes to the Police. It just seems wrong to use the baseball term that a tie goes to the runner in these cases.;) These people also do not return to try and fight to get the money back and that speaks volumes.

I fully support all of our LEO's but also know that with them just as with every group of people that there will be bad apples, but I do believe that most Departments do all that they can to weed them out and get rid of them.

To me the worst part of this story is seeing the different departments arguing among themselves. That to me is unacceptable and hopefully this story will help to put a stop to that behavior. That simply can not be good for the overall good of all of us people nor for the reputation of the agencies either.

• Admin Team
Why exactly is it taboo to quote "cop bash" on specific instances where they are in the wrong? If anything they SHOULD be bashed harder for the wrongs they do, they SHOULD be held to a higher standard. Ghetto trash peddling crack is no surprise, but when the men and women that are supposedly working to make us safe have a hand in illegal activity ....oh nevermind.

I left the thread open because I agree that there is a subject here that bears discussion, and in fact needs scrutiny. The problem that I see is however, is an agency problem not an individual officer problem.

This situation needs scrutiny, oversight and possible legislative correction. I'd love to see this thread discuss this. But, if it devolves into "all those pigs are on the take," I'll shut it down.

Fair?

Edited by MacGyver

This situation needs scrutiny, oversight and possible legislative correction. I'd love to see this thread discuss this. But, if it devolves into "all those pigs are on the take," I'll shut it down.

Fair?

Well sure that's fair. I don't hate cops in general or on principle like some do, but when they're dirty, I'm one of the one's that won't be cutting them any slack.

I do wonder if it's me, though. It seems the older I get, the less I seem to have issues with the fuzz. I quit speeding [my car and my mouth] and they quit jerking me around. weird huh?

Guest Sgt. Joe
It seems the older I get, the less I seem to have issues with the fuzz. I quit speeding [my car and my mouth] and they quit jerking me around. weird huh?

Not all that strange really.;)

The same thing happened to me. I quit speeding everywhere I went and they quit pulling me over all the time, somehow I think it has more to do with cause and effect rather than just being weird.:D

The problem that I see is however, is an agency problem not an individual officer problem.

I agree with this statement 100%.

As was stated before, I don't really have a problem with the drug interdiction programs. We need to get that crap off the streets, and I am all for the profits being used to offset cost of government. I do think they have gotten away from the original intent of the program (especially when conducting operations outside of their judicial district), but this program has probably done more to promote inter-agency cooperation than any other.

It seems a little disingenuous to have the man-power to loan to this type of program, when you can't send an officer out to investigate a felony theft. It is all about priorities, and I don't necessarily agree with where some departments set them these days. Just my humble opinion.

Guest nicemac
Having 200K or more in cash in the back of your rig is certainly one hard thing to explain and unless the person can prove where the money came from I have no problem with the Police taking it. I do wish that they could also charge these people with something but also understand just how hard it would be to prove without a doubt where the money came from in a courtroom.

So who decides how much money is too much? I mean to some, having a thousand dollars in their pocket is completely out of reach. To someone else (I know these people) having a hundred grand–in cash–is totally legit.

When did we turn to a nation where we have to prove where our cash came from? (I understand that we are at that point now, but how sad.) Can you PROVE where every dollar in your wallet came from. I can't…

Why should the police automatically assume that any large amount (again, how much is too much?) of cash is dirty and why should they be able to confiscate it without further indication of a crime?

So who decides how much money is too much? I mean to some, having a thousand dollars in their pocket is completely out of reach. To someone else (I know these people) having a hundred grand–in cash–is totally legit.

When did we turn to a nation where we have to prove where our cash came from? (I understand that we are at that point now, but how sad.) Can you PROVE where every dollar in your wallet came from. I can't…

Why should the police automatically assume that any large amount (again, how much is too much?) of cash is dirty and why should they be able to confiscate it without further indication of a crime?

BIG, huge +1.

I traveled into Canada about 10 years ago to buy an engine with quite a bit of cash on me. It did occur to me crossing the border how I would explain carrying cash into Canada. Actually that was the least of my worries as coming back into the US with a "non-emission engine" (even though a race motor) created even more questions.

I digress.............

I think if you carry less than 10K, there should be no questions. That's the limit the bank has to report.

Guest nicemac
I think if you carry less than 10K, there should be no questions. That's the limit the bank has to report.

Why 10k? Why not 100k? Why not 1M? Why does the bank have to report it?

These are all rhetorical…

Amen.

I can't see the videos, but what I read sounds highly suspect. Did the drug dog indicate the presence of residue on the money? Wait... there wasn't a drug dog?

An owner/operator trucker could very well have large amounts of cash on hand. I'd think they'd have receipts for it too, but I don't know if that's required by law. Trucks come and go from my place of employment with up to $10M in freight aboard.

I read somewhere that 75% ...or more...of 100's and 50's have been used to snort cocaine...that's going to leave residue. Seems that the only way to carry large amounts of money is for it to be brand new...and those stick together. Oh...wait...that's brand new,,,we need to check the serial numbers to be sure it's not counterfeit.

This.

What about the people who do not believe in banks(seems they are the smart ones) who keep all their cash in their house. If their house were searched off a wrong address and they find $100k would it be seized?

Well sure that's fair. I don't hate cops in general or on principle like some do, but when they're dirty, I'm one of the one's that won't be cutting them any slack.

Nobody's suggesting you don't call a spade a spade. But the brush you paint with shouldn't be overly wide.

I do wonder if it's me, though. It seems the older I get, the less I seem to have issues with the fuzz. I quit speeding [my car and my mouth] and they quit jerking me around. weird huh?

I haven't quit speeding. But I have found that attitude goes a long way. I don't begrudge a cop for giving me a ticket when I was rightfully earning it. I just prefer to think of speeding tickets as my fee for the privilege. :)

Amen. Innocent until proven guilty ring a bell to anyone?

Why 10k? Why not 100k? Why not 1M? Why does the bank have to report it?

These are all rhetorical…

Too bad. I'm answering anyway. :D

All deposits of 10K or more are automatically reported to the FBI. Not all are investigated. But sometimes it helps in cases they are already building or investigating.

All deposits of 10K or more are automatically reported to the FBI. Not all are investigated. But sometimes it helps in cases they are already building or investigating.

Yah, banks are regulated by the FDIC, that's why they have to report it.

It really has nothing to do with the issue at hand, though. Why does the government have any business knowing what I'm doing with *ANY* amount of cash if there's no other reason to believe I'm doing something wrong.

It really has nothing to do with the issue at hand, though. Why does the government have any business knowing what I'm doing with *ANY* amount of cash if there's no other reason to believe I'm doing something wrong.

You're talking about the old America, not the "new and improved" one.

They don't. It's just how it is right now.

Actually, they are reported to FINCEN (Financial Crimes Enforcement Network), which is part of the US Treasury Dept.

I sit corrected. I knew they had to report it to somebody. Thanks for the info.