Tennessean looking to interview folks who make their own ammo to cut costs

Guest brianhaas

Guest brianhaas

Hello all, pardon the interruption to the board. Some of you may have seen me post on occasion to the handgun board. My name is Brian Haas and I'm a reporter with The Tennessean. I've written a few stories on gun issues and hopefully done a decent job of being pretty balanced in them.

I'm writing on behalf of a colleague of mine, Brandon Gee, who is going to be writing a story on people who are making their own ammunition as a cost-cutting measure. We're looking to talk to thrifty folks who are doing just that because of the economy. My dad is among them, he presses all his .357 ammunition himself.

The story's going to run next weekend, but we'd love to hear from you guys soon. You can email Brandon at bgee@tennessean.com. Or, you can always reach me at bhaas@tennessean.com or 615-726-8968.

Thanks guys,

-Brian

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest brianhaas

Jonnin, thanks so much, I appreciate that. He's not super knowledgeable about the subject matter, so be patient with him.

If it helps, I have friends at The Reloaders Bench and Lebanon Gun Shop, both of which cater to the relaoding community. I could make some inquires if they were willing to speak to the Tennessean regarding reloading.

• Admin Team
And as soon as this info hits the press, you're gonna get a knock on the door

from ATF to check things out. Wouldn't touch it with a 40' pole.

Seriously?

Brian has proven to us in the past that he's not looking for an angle to somehow libel gun owners. I somehow doubt he's going to start now.

Speak with him if you're comfortable and willing, but keep the tinfoil hats in the drawer.

If it helps, I have friends at The Reloaders Bench and Lebanon Gun Shop, both of which cater to the relaoding community. I could make some inquires if they were willing to speak to the Tennessean regarding reloading.

That could be a very informative interview, and make a great article, assuming Brian's co worker is objective like he seems to be. Those gentlemen would be a wealth of information.

Brian has proven to us in the past that he's not looking for an angle to somehow libel gun owners. I somehow doubt he's going to start now.

Brian is not the one writing the article and I find it curious the sudden interest in reloading, which has never been reported on that I am aware of, in light of the recent incident on Nolensville Pike. Mr. Gee may be better off contacting the Reloaders Bench or some other reputable store rather than reporting on who has how much gunpowder piled up in the garage.

If the hobby is protrayed in a postive light then great.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Edited by Garufa
Brian is not the one writing the article and I find it curious the sudden interest in reloading, which has never been reported on that I am aware of, in light of the recent incident on Nolensville Pike. Mr. Gee may be better off contacting the Reloaders Bench or some other reputable store rather than reporting on who has how much gunpowder piled up in the garage.

If the hobby is protrayed in a postivie light then great.

very well said

Mr. Haas stuck his neck out when he joined this board. He's proven so far to be a good member, and I've yet to find anything in his articles that place law abiding gun owners in a bad light. I appreciate that. Mr. Gee, however, hasn't taken the time and trouble to introduce himself. I, for one, feel a little leery as to his motives regarding a story about reloading. I agree with Garufa that the timing of this story and that of the fire at the fire on Nolensville Rd. sure seem suspicious.

• Admin Team
OMG!!...don't say anything bad about the "press" boys!!!! You'll get slammed here...trust me...I know from experience.

I don't even know how to respond to this.

Talk to the guy or don't, but give him a chance. There aren't many people in the mainstream press who paint gun owners in a positive light.

Guest TackleberryTom
I agree with Garufa that the timing of this story and that of the fire at the fire on Nolensville Rd. sure seem suspicious.

+1

But,

Mr. Haas stuck his neck out when he joined this board. He's proven so far to be a good member, and I've yet to find anything in his articles that place law abiding gun owners in a bad light.

+1 as well

I reload and do so often and to large quantities, but I don't think I will be making any calls or emails. I think that a story from reloaders bench would be a good one though.

OMG!!...don't say anything bad about the "press" boys!!!! You'll get slammed here...trust me...I know from experience.

I'm not fond of most journalists, but Brian is an exception. He printed what we agreed would be printed, and didn't print ANY of the off the record stuff we discussed. Straight up guy.

I'm not fond of most journalists, but Brian is an exception. He printed what we agreed would be printed, and didn't print ANY of the off the record stuff we discussed. Straight up guy.

+1 It is refreshing to know there's at least one objective journalist out there. We need all the help we can get.

Guest nicemac

If the hobby is protrayed in a postive light then great.

+1

Seriously?

Speak with him if you're comfortable and willing, but keep the tinfoil hats in the drawer.

I never said Brian was the BG here. My concern is what the ATF will glean form the article

itself. Mr. Gee remains to be seen.

If you want to supply info, have at it. I'll watch from the sidelines.

Check if there are any regulations regarding powder or primer storage methods/quantity limits, and make sure you get into compliance before talking about your personal stores, or allowing photographs.

Edited by Sheepdog
re-wording
I never said Brian was the BG here. My concern is what the ATF will glean form the article

itself. Mr. Gee remains to be seen.

If you want to supply info, have at it. I'll watch from the sidelines.

You think the ATF uses newspapers for that? Wouldn't it make more sense to hang out at the Reloader's Bench and write down tag numbers? Maybe the article will just say, "them boys sure had some shiney hats". :D

It could be an interesting article if written properly. I started reloading over 30 years ago after getting my first 1911. My initial goal was to reduce costs of ammunition, but I learned there are other benefits to reloading.

There are a number of good reasons to reload, and none of them make you look like a psycho. We complain constantly about the press just making stuff up when it comes to guns. But, when they try to publish factual info, most gun folks go full paranoid.

I've contributed to two gun articles in the last year, one in the New York Times, and one with Brian in the Tennessean. Neither reporter tried to "get" me. They were looking for facts from a gun owner's perspective. This is an opportunity to get the real facts in print. If I was a reloader, I wouldn't hesitate.

NY Times article with Mike included, in case anyone missed it in the past. Good article.. a fair article.. read it online before I heard about it here.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/04/us/04guns.html

You guys gotta remember something... How can we ever get "good" press if nobody speaks up and shares our viewpoint on things? I'd jump at the chance if I reloaded. Hope someone speaks up for us.

Guest adamoxtwo

For everyone worried about ATF let me let you in on a secret. They check this board often. I know because I was contacted by an ATF Agent a little while back because a TGO'er didn't have the balls to talk to me directly he called ATF. And ATF called me and told me that they have read EVERY entry I have made on this site. So if you are worried about what ATF will read in a paper you may want to check on everything you write on this forum. Food for Thought.