Oxymoron: Best Looking HiPoint on Planet Earth

graycrait

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks pretty good. You know, people talk about HiPoints being ugly and I guess I would have to go along with that to a certain degree. I also believe that they are good guns - especially considering the price - and to a person who had just successfully used a HiPoint to defend their life and the lives of their loved ones, it just might appear to be the most beautiful pistol in the world.

Guest Broomhead

My C9 is one of the finest, most accurate pistols I have ever had the pleasure to shoot. I'm not a big fan of OD Green or Flat Dark Earth, but that is a nice finish.

For rubber(ized) grips, go to Lowe's or Home Depot, in their spray paint section they have 'Plasti-Dip' in a spray can. Works just like spray paint, but its rubber. You can spray it on in as many coats as you'd like. If you screw up or it gets messed up later down the road, just peel it off and start over. It works really well.

The Herman Munster of handguns...
I would have to agree but those that have them love them to me most all polymer [plastic] handguns are not very good to look at. I have a XD40 and Ruger LCP both great guns and do exactly what they are supposed to do just not very pretty. Hey if someone buys a Hi point because that is what they want or it is all they can afford more power to them.

Well, it does look better with that finish on it but I’ in agreement with the Phillips screw head observation. I wonder if some other type of more esthetically pleasing screw configuration could replace them. Still, for a pure mass blow back pistol Hi Point found the right set up for cost and reliability. As I’ve said before I’m not going to knock the product, people buy Hi Points like crazy and the brand has a huge fan base almost to the point of a cult following.

The phillips screws don't bother me. In fact, I like the idea of being able to take the screws out without having to have anything but a Swiss Army knife. I honestly don't see the point in having to have square-head drivers, hex-head drivers, etc. on an inexpensive carry, home defense or range gun when a good old, common phillips or even slotted screw can hold things together just as well.

Well, I just had a chance to see and handle this HiPoint that was refinished myself this morning. It actually look's even nicer firsthand rather than in pictures, I am impressed with how well it turned out. This HiPoint is a solidly made pistol but is a bit heavy with most of the balance in the upper slide midpoint area. How this affect it’s handling when fired is something I’d like to know? Does the added mass in the slide coupled with its blowback action become noticeable or not? FWIW I'm going to try and find someone who owns one and ask them to let me put a few rounds down range, I'm curious.

A buddy of mine bought a used HP 9mm for 75.00 one time. We had two mags. We loaded and fired those two mags continuosly for about 500 rds or maybe 300, can't clearly recall. No FTF or FTEs. Accuracy was good enough for SYA shooting. It ain't a Glock but then what is:)

Guest Broomhead
Well, I just had a chance to see and handle this HiPoint that was refinished myself this morning. It actually look's even nicer firsthand rather than in pictures, I am impressed with how well it turned out. This HiPoint is a solidly made pistol but is a bit heavy with most of the balance in the upper slide midpoint area. How this affect it’s handling when fired is something I’d like to know? Does the added mass in the slide coupled with its blowback action become noticeable or not? FWIW I'm going to try and find someone who owns one and ask them to let me put a few rounds down range, I'm curious.

You are welcome to shoot my C9 sometime. PM me if you want to set something up. FWIW, HiPoints are very susceptible to limp-wristing, allowing the recoil to be absorbed by the shooter's wrist instead of the slide of the pistol. Just keep a good stiff wrist and firm grip.