Handgun carry class, dissapointed

Guest Gfrk

I took the handgun carry class today...

I made 100% on the written, which was too easy for anyone's good...

BUT

On the range portion I did ok, only i completely missed a few shots on the 45yard setup.

Honestly, it really pissed me off... I don't know if i was rushing my shots, or that I'm used to shooting a 9mm but brought a .40 to the class.

I have no idea how the hell I missed. I would shoot, feel good about it, look, and there she is right next to the silhouette, but not on it!

Ive only shot this gun once before the class, and it was the first time I've used a .40, but I'm still disappointed.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm used to shooting a 9mm but brought a .40 to the class.

Probably didn't help you any. If your going to be tested on something why not take the item your best with. There are lot who take the shooting test with a 22 then carry something else.

I shot with a snubnose - was glad to hit paper, especially at 25yd.During the great 2009 shortage, nonly had one box, so no practice beforehand. And Willie's plan for 5-shot revolvers was no reloads, then make up with an extra 5 rounds at uggh, 25 yards.

Passed, though.

I don't understand? 45 yards, 25 yards for concealed carry qualification? We shot at 3, 5 and 7 yards. The class I took was great! It was 8 hours long and nobody got bored.

Our instructor was a retired LEO and an excellent teacher.

I don't understand? 45 yards, 25 yards for concealed carry qualification? We shot at 3, 5 and 7 yards. The class I took was great! It was 8 hours long and nobody got bored.

Our instructor was a retired LEO and an excellent teacher.

The TN mandated course of fire involves shooting at 3, 7, and 15 yards. Then a few rounds at the instructor's choice (between 3 and 25 yards).

The state specifies the course of fire for TN HCP classes.

I meant 15 yards... 45 feet. Nice to meet you markwondi! If i remember correctly, you got 100%. Haha

As for the person who said i should have brought a 9mm, I figured i would bring the gun that i would be carrying on me. If i couldn't make it with that, I didn't need to carry that weapon. False outlook or not, that's the way I see it.

Should have practiced more. I am sort of a perfectionist when it comes to things like this...

Anywho, I did pass. Im going back soon and re-setting the target. Not going to stop til i get 50 rounds within 8 or better.

I have yet to shoot as well as I did on my test. I'm not sure if it was the added pressure of it being a factor to me getting my permit or what. I normally am fairly accurate, and place decent groups. But on the day of my test, where ever I pointed that gun is exactly where I was hitting. Placed 10 of my rounds dead on center mass. I'll have to post a picture of the target sometime. I was very proud of my groups, very tight

Guest friesepferd

i wouldnt worry about that one bit. a 40 is a TON different than a 9. (I actually cant stand them, id take a 45 over a 40 any day)

shooting a new gun / new cal for the first time, i wouldnt worry about that one bit. just keep practicing now with the 40 if you plan on using it.

as far as the written part goes.. fine with me. it should be easy.

i donno whats on it, since i didnt take mine in TN, but i dont think it should have anything other than the basic safety rules and make a few very basic legal questions (where you may not carry, etc)