Diamondback 9x19

...Even empty the Khar really pulls but the db 9 doesn't…quite possibly a placebo affect though, as I haven't actually carried either

Have you shot both?

One of the strengths of the Kahr is the rather amazingly low perceived recoil from such a small gun. HUGE diff between it and say, a Kel-tec PF9, which I have shot.

Sorry to hear yer back is ailing, my sincere empathy.

- OS

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you shot both?One of the strengths of the Kahr is the rather amazingly low perceived recoil from such a small gun. HUGE diff between it and say, a Kel-tec PF9, which I have shot.Sorry to hear yer back is ailing, my sincere empathy.- OS
No I have not shot either as a matter of fact. But have pretty much written of the db9 for the reasons gray stated above. Back is healing slowly but surely…thanks and sorry for you empathy :up:

I expect to see the DB9 develop into a better pistol, just like the PF9 did when it first came out. What I don't know though is if every one you might purchase will be completly trouble free. Regardless, I won't be buying one untill the problem's are worked out of the design.

You traded a functioning Glock for a beta-testing Diamondback 9mm?

Seriously?

I ask myself the same thing, but then I have several other Glocks and didn't have new neat little pocket 9mm. Don't worry about me, I have enough carry guns and pocket pistols. I also have shot a number of Kahrs including the MK9, PM9, CM9, CW9 and CW45 they are all fine guns although I like the MK9 the best. I personally won't own a Kahr due to an incompatibality I now have due to the Kahr trigger design and my reconstructed trigger finger tendons. There are a number of guns and trigger designs I stay away from since the operation.

I simply wanted to test out this light and thin 9mm pistol, the DB9. I don't mind being a Beta tester for the DB9 or DB customer service. This should prove to be an educational experiment.

Got the DB 9 back in Clarksville yesterday. Work order said the trigger bar was out of spec and was replaced. DB polished the ramp too. WO said the DB9 was fired 42 test rounds w/o MALF, total shop time was 45 min. Gun was gone from my hand back to my hand in less than 10 days at no cost to me. It appears to me, after dismantling the gun, that the new trigger bar not only fixed the reset issue but also gives just a bit better trigger. Time will tell.

Craig in Clarksville

Got the DB 9 back in Clarksville yesterday. Work order said the trigger bar was out of spec and was replaced. DB polished the ramp too. WO said the DB9 was fired 42 test rounds w/o MALF, total shop time was 45 min. Gun was gone from my hand back to my hand in less than 10 days at no cost to me. It appears to me, after dismantling the gun, that the new trigger bar not only fixed the reset issue but also gives just a bit better trigger. Time will tell.

Craig in Clarksville

Keep us posted on how it fairs after some more range time.

This caught my eye in looking for a Micro. I’m not a fan of the 9, but I’m a fan of giving an American company a chance. (It appears this company was started by a couple of Kel-Tec ex-employees)

I guess I’m either going to have to spend over $600 for a New Kahr MK40 or go with a 9MM. The reviews I have seen so far have been good. I did notice that there was a 9C, but it is no longer on their website.

Kahr PM and CM 9 is still a little smaller, I don't see the big deal.

This gun (and some of the others be compared) is half the price of a Kahr.

Guest motonut
This caught my eye in looking for a Micro. I’m not a fan of the 9, but I’m a fan of giving an American company a chance. (It appears this company was started by a couple of Kel-Tec ex-employees)

I have both a Kahr CW9 amd PM9, love them both. I was told when I bought the PM9 (used) that Kahr is owned by the Moonies (as in Rev Sun Myung Moon). I have not verified that statement though.

Took the DB9 to the range yesterday. I ran several mags of 115grain SV Hornady Critical Defense and RWS 124 grain SV. Worked fine but is a fire breathing dragon to control. One handed shooting is best with elbow locked. Accurate enough for a SYA pistol. I also got to handle a two-tone Kimber Solo on Thursday. It is a bit wider than the DB9 and just a hair heavier. It is wonderfully smooth and well executed pistol. It feels good in the hand and makes me wonder if it is a "dragon" like the DB9 or the KT PF9? The owner told me he was having some kind of magazine issue with the Kimber. I can't recall what it was exactly. After having a couple of KT PF9s and the DB9 and getting to handle the Solo I'm thinking that once a 9mm pistol hits a certain size it starts to get in a more or less "useless" range if fast accurate follow-up shots are needed. I classify them as belly guns, but in my mind a nice +38 spl Airweight is possibly more practical.

... I'm thinking that once a 9mm pistol hits a certain size it starts to get in a more or less "useless" range if fast accurate follow-up shots are needed. ...

Again, one of the reasons the Kahr sells at its higher price. But lots of folks have to go through several other small 9mm models before they agree. :)

- OS

although i am a big fan of the db380(700+rounds through mine), i have an issue with the db9, i get a lot of pocket lint builds up on the 380 due to i carry it everyday, the db9 has a big cut out on the side of the slide and i just see a lot of stuff getting in the internals,i got to play with the ruger lc9 and was quite impressed with it and will probably go with that over the db9

Kahrs are nicely made pistols but I have a personal issue with the way the trigger is attached to the pivot pin and how my damaged index/trigger finger works in that gun. I've either owned or shot most of the usual Kahr suspects at one time or another. I particulary like the MK9. Then I compare the MK9's or even the PM9's weight against a Glock 26 and say I really don't see the big deal. Displaced volume is quite different with the Kahr's quite a bit less, but then the 26 is very easy to shoot very well and very fast.

... Then I compare the MK9's or even the PM9's weight against a Glock 26 and say I really don't see the big deal. Displaced volume is quite different with the Kahr's quite a bit less, but then the 26 is very easy to shoot very well and very fast.

G26 is a great gun don't see why you're comparing it with PM9. Totally different classes of physical size.

- OS

Apples to oranges to grapefruit comparisons abound here. G26 is a tad over 19oz, PM9 is 14+ and DB is 11+, so the G26 compared to the PM9 is about like comparing the PM9 to DB9. DB and PM9 are proven BUGs while the DB9, given time, may be a true pocket gun. All three slide into slightly different niches.

• 2 months later...

I've had mine for a few weeks now, and I have mixed feelings.

Issue 1 - It cannot shoot my truncated cone type reloads. I reload with Berry's Bullets and they have a great little 124gr truncated cone FP that has done dual service for me in all my 9mm and 357 SIG reloads. When set for "proper" OAL, the shoulder on the cone contacts the rifling, not allowing the round to fully seat. If the OAL is shortened the rounds will not feed properly because the flat tip catches on the bottom of the feed ramp... which is related to Issue 2. I'm ok with doing more RN bullets in the my reloads, so this isn't really a huge issue. It is just annoying because my other 9mm's will all eat this stuff fine.

Issue 2 - The feed ramp on this barrel makes it difficult for defensive rounds with a large front cavity to load properly. The cavity on both Federal HST and Gold Dots (124gr) is so "wide" as to get hung up on the bottom of the feed ramp, causing a FTF. This FTF is especially aggravating because the round is now lodged against the feed ramp, under pressure from the slide, but still in the mag. With no slide stop lever, you have to awkwardly pull back on the slide while at the same time pressing the mag release button AND pulling on the bottom of the mag to clear the mag and "stuck" round from the gun. Fun stuff.

I've only put about 200 rounds through mine, 50 of Federal HST 124gr, 50 Gold Dot 124gr, and a mixture of RN and FP reloads. I had multiple FTF with both types of defensive ammo, and a handful of FTF with the reloads. With the factory stuff, I had a FTF on just about every other mag that shot through it. It seemed to be influenced by how much pressure is put on the floor plate/base of the magazine while gripping the gun (the mags have a semi-pinky extension). The little bit of play the mag has while seated in the well allows the feeding angle to change just enough as to hang up some rounds. I've seen a fix for this that involves sliding a small rubber o-ring around the mag body so that it is compressed against the floorplate. When the mag is inserted, the o-ring forms a sort of seal and apparently helps eliminate the play that leads to these failures.

I can't confidently carry this gun until it will reliably feed the defensive ammo (i'm ok with tweaking minor problems in my reloads). Grip pressure on the mag base seemed to influence the reliability of feeding, and that is not something I feel I can (or need to) pay attention to if the pistol ever had to be utilized defensively. I do not feel that any of my FTF issues were the result of limp-wristing. This pistol requires a good strong grip to fire for any extended period of time, as the recoil can be a bit punchy.

I do like the size, and the weight. I am not fond of .380, so this is about the smallest, thinest, lightest auto-loader I'd consider for concealed carry. It won't do me a lick of good if it isn't reliable, so I will keep at it for now.

I's rather be poppin' 380s at a bad guy than be standing there with a jammed 9mm. Just saying.

Its easy to hate on the internet ......give it a rest buddy.......just sayin

I shot 100 rounds though the gun Saturday right out of the box......100 of my reloads (FMJ)

and 20 147g Winchester RangerT hollowpoints,my defensive round of choice.......all fired fine all fed fine and all went bang...

I can see how certain ammo would get hung up on the feed ramp though,the gun like ALL

pocket guns i have shot have room for improvement - The feed ram has a channel,bad idea IMO

but that is an easy fix - MANY guns need feed ramp polishing,I would DEF polish that channel out

The only thing mine did which was odd was when I slapped a mag in and racked the slide if I didnt

do it with balls it would jam and I would have to drop the mag and clear the gun ......The gun is

OK,its not STELLAR but ok and fair price,I will run it some more im sure cause its a real kick and I have lots of 9MM to piss away.......The only gun I would think is better costs more,sigs,kahrs etc

but none are smaller than aDB9

I've been carrying my DB9 as my off-hand pocket gun. Since returning from the factory in a 4 day turn around I have had zero function problems. A bit ground and smoothed off the bottom off the feed ramp has made it reliable with my usual ball and JHPs. This pistol can be controlled at panic speeds by one-handed shooting. I compare it to my Keltecs and S&W J-frame Mdl 49 and don't find the DB9 wanting in comparison.

I have a DB380 that works great. It has not jammed in over 20 range trips. I go to the range once a month. I cycle the rounds I have had in the DB380 through and shoot another magazine. So I fire 13 rounds a month. Then I reloaded it and put it back in my pocket. I did polish the feed ramp. I may end up with a DB9 in the future. I have a LC9 but it's too big for pocket carry.