Offensive Bumper Sticker Law

Cool, I can start calling in those stupid coexist stickers along with Obama '08 decals....

Look for the silver lining guys...lol.

I like the coexist stickers. Add the Bush/Cheney stickers with the Obama stickers and double the fine for both.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2743456/posts

They're really going after that silly first amendment this year, eh :rolleyes:

Maybe the ACLU will file suit over this one too

Clear violation of the first amendment... Boy, you'd think there would be much better things our legislature could have been doing this session... like I don't know.... removing more anti-2nd amendment gun laws?

Meet the new boss, the same as the old.

Funny thing is....this has been on the books a long time, but never really discussed (or enforced apparently) but now the simple act of fixing the fine instead of a range has got the law noticed and perhaps addressed by the ACLU and or legislature...assuming someone is still thinking of it in January....

I would love to see fines issued for people wearing offensive t-shirts or exposing parts of themselves that shouldn't be getting exposed. Almost every trip into Walmart I see something I would not want a child to see. I have seen people with their pants and underwear down to a point where if they bent over it would expose their "brown eye". Or the t-shirts that say "F**K" this or "F**K" that. I can tell you if I were a manager for a day I would upset a lot of people.

I know it is a bit over the top for most but my biggest pet peeve is those who are out in public wearing the dirtiest, smelliest and most dishevelled clothing ever. I am not talking about those who work for a living and get dirty doing so. I am talking about those who smell of week old body odor and urine. I find those smells more offensive than the writing on most shirts.

Dolomite

• 2 weeks later...
Guest CarmenT

The offensive political bumper stickers (my definition being those that advocate harm to those with a differing political bent/to politicians they disagree with/ those that call members of either of the preceding groups ugly names) can be annoying, but they do provide a valuable service. They provide advance warning that the car's owner is not someone you should discuss politics with. It's helpful when they label themselves as "unreasonable" in advance.

Guest Victor9er
Alright listen, you have the right to be offended however, you do not have the right to stop others from offending you. That's simple to me

THIS

+ 1 million!

Too many people think that having the right to feel a certain way about something means that they can resrtict the rights of others who don't agree with them. It doesn't work that way... or at least it's not supposed to.

I'm not trying to spread some islam hate message but we all remember how that one guy drew a picture of mohamed and it offended some muslims who decided to kill him for it, I admit this is on a much smaller scale but its got the same ideas behind it, preventing others from expressing their views in public whether by word, shirt, sign, or bumper sticker is killing freedom of speech and you are no better than the anti gun folks who try to kill our second amendment.

To the argument someone presented about not wanting their children exposed to cursing or other things you may find offensive in public the answer is simple, don't take your kids into the public, besides if your a good parent you can teach them right from wrong and you won't have to shield them from obscenity.

Guest mcgyver210

Somebody may actually fight this Joke of a Law on the basis of Free Speech.

Edited by mcgyver210

If someone does not get this, along with the Internet Posting (HB 0300) debacle to a high enough court prior to the 2012 Session to have it declared "Unconstitutionally Vague", I believe that the Legislature will adjust the Public Chapters. I have spoken to several Legislators, and they realize they FUBARED these pretty bad. They are hoping they do not get challenged prior to them being able to correct their "Bad Judgement" as one Representative put it.

Never know what the American Civil Liberties Union may do, they have the lawyers and the dollars.

Edited by Worriedman

I agree this is bad law.....but the funny thing is....it has been the law for several years. All that changed this session is making a fixed fine instead of on a scale. Wonder why more stink wasn't raised before?

Now the internet posting one is new.....hopefully they will fix both though!

I agree this is bad law.....but the funny thing is....it has been the law for several years. All that changed this session is making a fixed fine instead of on a scale. Wonder why more stink wasn't raised before?

It just was not on the radar screen before, changing it up brought scrutiny to it. I believe folks are starting to pay more attention, plus, the media loves to make Republicans look bad.

Guest mcgyver210

Now the internet posting one is new.....hopefully they will fix both though!

Because it was made more public due to the attention to make it revenue producing. We all know if government is involved it will be abused. Also it is obviously a blatant attack on Free Speech.

Not to mention there are many laws on the books that if made public would bring backlash.