In or out?

Guest nicemac

Guest nicemac

The stock market.

I pulled most of my money out after Memorial Day and went into cash. I just don't have faith right now in the market.

Are you staying in or have you bailed out?

My thought is to dump money in about 8-9 of 2012 if it looks like O is going to lose the election. I think a change of administration will lead to, if nothing else, a brief recovery period where some $$ can be made, then pull back out or not as things take shape...

I think real estate is a good option right now. If we are headed for hyper inflation, real estate could be a good shelter. Lets say you have $100k to invest. Put it in a bank account and it's still $100k, but if hyper inflation hits, that $100k will have the same purchasing power of $50k today. Put it in stocks adn the $100k turns into $50k after a crash and has the purchase power of $25k today.

But if you buy a $100k house and hold on to it, when the inflation hits the house may be worth $200k. Sell it and you have $200k of purchase power which would be equal to what you could have bought for $100k before inflation. Plus, in hyper inflation, salaries will surely rise to adjust. Now instead of making $50k a year, you'll be making $80k. You'll be making a lot more money, with less buying power, but your mortgage was set up when you were making less, so it will be easy to pay it off.

If you make the property rentals, you can even have someone else pay your morgage for you. Houses are cheap right now. The market is perfect for buyers.

By the way my numbers above are totally made up. Pulled them out of the air for talking points. They could be higher or lower, but you get the point.

Guest lostpass

Hanging on to my long term stuff (aapl, vz, bp and QQQ) unloaded all my mutual funds and put that dough over seas. But I'm wondering about the long term stuff. I've had aapl since 95 and have made a ton, is it time to bail?

Guest TresOsos
Good thing we got a deal (crammed down our throats) on the debt crisis or the stock market might have plunged!

ROFLMAO...........................you owe me a keyboeard,,,!@#$%^&*()__+

Guest Lester Weevils

Precious Metals dropped quite a bit today as well. Gold has gained a little this afternoon, down to less than a $20 drop.

The last time precious metals tracked significantly down along with the stock market (as best I recall) was the big dip of both stocks and metals in late 2008 and early 2009.

It will be interesting to see if metals drop far enough to provide buying opportunities. Or maybe they won't track stocks all the way down this time.

I never buy anything unless it is no brainer cheap. Never been brave enough to gamble on the market at all.

IMO we can't blame it on the debt ceiling dog and pony show. I expected it to go down awhile ago.

Obama may have behaved the way he did because his guys saw a double-dip as unavoidable and wanted to make a big stink so it would look like republican's opposition to the debt ceiling is what tanked it, rather than an inevitable double-dip because of long term bad gov policy.

Mentioned that paranoid idea here a week ago--

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/national-politics-legislation/60142-fiscal-crisis-overblown-serious-2.html#post763126

Not that the republicans all wear white hats.

A realistic budget deal may have helped avoid this double-dip. The penny plan may have been good enough to somewhat avoid it.

• Admin Team

I don't think anything these fools do will help this second dip. Just ask yourself what has fundamentally changed between September 2008 and today. With the exception of them paying off their friends at 100 cents on the dollar, the answer is nothing.

Their solution seems to be to talk like it's working and maybe everything will be okay. Or maybe they just want to distract everyone til they spend us to the gates of Hell.

Guest Lester Weevils
I don't think anything these fools do will help this second dip. Just ask yourself what has fundamentally changed between September 2008 and today. With the exception of them paying off their friends at 100 cents on the dollar, the answer is nothing.

Their solution seems to be to talk like it's working and maybe everything will be okay. Or maybe they just want to distract everyone til they spend us to the gates of Hell.

Thanks McGyver. I bet you are correct.

Have always doubted that gov can genuinely boost the economy. About the most the gov or fed reserve seems capable is a new bubble that bites us in the butt and sparks the next recession and intervention.

Have never doubted that gov can damage the economy. They may not be able to create jobs but they sure as heck can kill em.

Gov economic diddling seems like the south seas witch doctor sacrificing virgins to the grumbling volcano god. If the volcano subsides then the witch doctor takes credit. If the volcano keeps grumbling then the witch doctor demands more sacrificial virgins. If the volcano explodes then the witch doctor explains that the village didn't have good enough virgins to satisfy the volcano god. The witch doctor can't lose regardless what happens.

• Admin Team
Have always doubted that gov can genuinely boost the economy. About the most the gov or fed reserve seems capable is a new bubble that bites us in the butt and sparks the next recession and intervention.

I think that this is the fundamental question that needs to be asked. That is, can the government actually create value? I would argue that the answer to that question is a resounding "no". They can try to preserve value, or they can try to keep from losing value like they did in the auto industry bailouts, but they cannot in 2011, create value.

I think that one of our major problems today is that really none of our elected officials, Republican or Democrat have any idea of what it actually takes to create a job. The big corporations have the GOP in their back pockets, and the DNC knows we're not going to vote for them, so they just treat the small business owner as their piggy bank.

So long as our political system remains this two party zero sum game, I truly don't expect that this will stop until they destroy this American experiment. I'm pulling for these 86 tea party freshmen. They proved their willingness to stand up to the establishment, the GOP establishment included. I wish them all the best.

Reagan was absolutely right. Government is the problem. Until people realize that the government cannot create value, instead they can only transfer wealth from one group to another, we won't solve this problem.