Memphis bound, I must be crazy!

brooksjr

I was born and raised in Memphis. Well the mound lol. And since I have moved to middle TN when I go back home to see family I get anxiety lol. And I never plan on moving back after seeing other parts of TN. Memphis is to flat, dirty, and the people have a chip on there shoulder.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

I agree with that if you are talking about the downtown area. The area I plan on staying in looked nice. I do have my doubts about the whole move, but I am also eager to move forward.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EYEMAN

I grew up in the Memphis area and built a home in Bartlett a number of years ago. I witnessed the distruction of the city throughout the years. I saw Southland Mall, Northgate, and Raleigh Springs Mall destroyed by the trash that preyed on the good people of the city. My oldest son had his car stolen while at CBC and the thief had a wreck with snother stolen car that was taken a half hour earlier from another part of town. I escaped 18 years ago to the hills of east Tennessee and needless to say, it is like another world. I am blessed that both of my sons have moved their family to another part of the state.

Urban Citys and clean don't go together. It is flat, at least there are trees and not flat without trees.

Compared to other urban cities Memphis sucks at cleaning the streets and highways.

I was born and raised in Memphis. Well the mound lol. And since I have moved to middle TN when I go back home to see family I get anxiety lol. And I never plan on moving back after seeing other parts of TN. Memphis is to flat, dirty, and the people have a chip on there shoulder.

We generally do have a chip on our shoulder regarding awful spelling.

That said, in all seriousness, we're just a bunch of criminals and/or helpless victims who wish we could live elsewhere.

We generally do have a chip on our shoulder regarding awful spelling.

That said, in all seriousness, we're just a bunch of criminals and/or helpless victims who wish we could live elsewhere.

Sorry I put there instead of their. But thanks for proving my point about people in Memphis.

Sorry I put there instead of their. But thanks for proving my point about people in Memphis.

And 'to' instead of 'too'.

You're attention too detail is a bit lose.

But yah, no problem, you're welcome. Glad I could be of service. Broad generalizations are awesome.

Guest db99wj
Compared to other urban cities Memphis sucks at cleaning the streets and highways.

From Pensacola FL, New Orleans, Houston, Louisville, to the Madison area of Nashville, there are areas that are equally trashy as some of Memphis urban areas.

Still haven't been to Gus's here in East Memphis, and if the wind would blow West, I could probably smell it from my office, that is how close I am. Guess It's about time to go since the lines aren't as bad.

Guest db99wj
Don't forget the Gus's in Bartlett now! Although, being situated in the strip north of the Waffle House at Germantown Road & 64, it's easily hidden. :)

Kinda like the 5-0! :P:p:p:p

Guest 270win

Gallaway is a nice quiet place that can be quite a bit of a speed trap. There is a good catfish restaurant out on Hwy 70 in Gallaway called County Line Catfish. It is only open on the weekend, but has great catfish. There are a lot of nice places out in Fayette or Tipton Counties if you like to live out in the country and have land. Hickory Whithe (spelling) or Oakland might be where you would want to look if your job is in Gallaway. There is also WMA out in Fayette County to hunt on if you like to hunt. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard for you to find a hunting club in Fayette or Tipton Counties.

You'll be able to avoid a lot of the crime problems of Memphis by having your job in Gallaway and not living in Memphis city limits. Many folks at least have to work in Memphis city limits. There is a new Wal Mart in Oakland, some stores in Arlington, Lakeland, Millington, and Collierville (along the new 385 being finished). If you have to go to a mall you can go to Collierville without going to Wolfchase Mall and the problems associated with that mall. Piperton will have some new stuff when 385 is finished.

When you go to Memphis proper, you have to know where you are going like any big city. Most of it is kind of run down/dirty with small sections of nice areas, like New Orleans. You can go from a good area to a bad area pretty quick. But once you figure it out, you'll be ok and can know where to avoid.

Beware of Fayette County schools. Living in eastern Shelby County, such as Bartlett, Lakeland, or Arlington, you should be fine with a decent drive to work. Tipton County to the north is not far, although it's a bit desolate until you go to the west side of the county. Don't listen to all the "I wouldn't live there for $300k a year" BS. Yes, it's bad in certain areas, but it's not much worse that many other big cities (Nashville comes to mind).

Guest nicemac
Don't listen to all the "I wouldn't live there for $300k a year" BS. Yes, it's bad in certain areas, but it's not much worse that many other big cities (Nashville comes to mind).

Sometimes to see something clearly, you must step back and take a good look. Those of us that have done that (stepped way back by moving away) do not see it as BS. I don't know how anybody that objectively looks at Memphis and Nashville and could compare the two. I have lived in both.

Not. Even. Close.

I understand the desire to defend one's choice of where they live and have pride in the area. But you will never convince me (or most other former Memphis residents) that Memphis is just like every other city. It isn't. Go live somewhere else and you will quickly learn that.

Guest db99wj
Sometimes to see something clearly, you must step back and take a good look. Those of us that have done that (stepped way back by moving away) do not see it as BS. I don't know how anybody that objectively looks at Memphis and Nashville and could compare the two. I have lived in both.

Not. Even. Close.

I understand the desire to defend one's choice of where they live and have pride in the area. But you will never convince me (or most other former Memphis residents) that Memphis is just like every other city. It isn't. Go live somewhere else and you will quickly learn that.

I lived the first 24 years somewhere else (Towns with populations of 25K and 10K), the last 15 here in Memphis. Of course, those places aren't as big as Nashville, but coming from those towns, one with some crime and drug issues going on, one being a college town and having family in Nashville, a great friend in Nashville who both use to live in Madison, and coincidentally live in Whites Creek, the differences aren't that extreme as many former Memphians like to say. My family member lived in Memphis for years before moving to Nashville and we've had this discussion. He even said, just like Memphis, there are places here in Nashville that you just don't go, and if you do, stay on the main road.

With that said, I would rank Nashville ahead of Memphis anyday, statistics don't lie, they only tell part of the truth. The high crime areas are just that, areas. Many of the areas that add to the statistics the most are just pockets within the "bad areas", just like other Metro areas around the country. Memphis does probably lead in the corruption among Government officials, well in the past anyway, I hope. It seems a lot of the infamous families or person, The Fords and King Willy, have moved along and are no longer in the middle of things. There still are some of the aftereffects of King Willy that we are dealing with, but in my opinion, things in the government are getting better, albeit slowly.

So while you have your opinion, and I have mine, I will say that a lot of what people say about Memphis and how violent it is, is not the whole truth. You don't go to certain areas, just like you don't go to certain areas in Nashville, Detroit, Atlanta, New Orleans, Chicago, etc and expect nothing to happen. Crime CAN happen anywhere, but as much as many want to say, It doesn't happen all the time everywhere you go here in Memphis. (This also is not saying there are 100% completely safe areas, we all know that is not true of ANY area, city, town, etc.) For my job, I get to go to a lot of places around this city, heavy industrial areas, ports, small commercial buildings on heavily and not so heavily traveled roads, airport area, church's in neighborhood all over, and again, while crime can happen anywhere, and there are places that I won't go into, a majority of the areas a person will be fine.

Edited by db99wj
Guest nicemac

Most towns (big and small) have areas I would not go into. Memphis' problem is not just with crime statistics. Memphis has an atmosphere that is difficult to describe. Just to say racism is the problem is not accurate. There just feels like there is a lot of "stuff" you have to deal with in Memphis that you just don't have to deal with other places.

I would not live in Madison or Whites Creek (or most other parts of Nashville) either. Actually I would not choose to live anywhere in any metro area. 30 miles out of town is fine with me. I drive in for work, and live away from the city. Even that was too close for me in Shelby county. I just couldn't get far enough away from the "stuff" that Memphis has hanging overhead.

Where did you work/live? It sounds like you would have a problem in any city which you lived. If the OP works in Gallaway and lives in an eastern suburb, he won't have to deal with much "stuff." On the other hand, I am constantly aware of the fact that anything can happen anywhere, any time--Memphis, Nashville, Franklin, Bristol, Trenton, Gatlinburg, or BFE.

Edited by deerslayer
30 miles out of town is fine with me. I drive in for work, and live away from the city. Even that was too close for me in Shelby county. I just couldn't get far enough away from the "stuff" that Memphis has hanging overhead.

Yah, where did you live and work? 30 miles outside of Memphis is the east side of Somerville, for example...