[Eotech] AAAAAA! Leaking batteries!!

So my flashlight needed a new battery. Hmm, may as well check everything.

I get to my Eotech and I had put Energizer Industrial (aa's) in there, and I pull them out and they're slimy! Oh I'm mad! The unit itself doesn't appear to have any goo on it, but the battery compartment is pretty wet. I've wiped it out with a paper towel. I wonder if I should wash it in a solution of vinegar and water to counteract the alkaline?

What would you do? There's nothing in the battery box to hurt if it got submerged. I sure don't want any corrosion later.

Man I'm glad I checked! I have lithium batteries going back in. No more alky's!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That sucks. I lost a 2 D-cell Maglite to battery corrosion this summer. They weren't cheap batteries either.

The vinegar solution coouldn't hurt, IMO. I'd rinse good with plain water afterwards. Maybe a little spray of WD40 after the rinse?

The fact that I own an Eotech at all is sheer stellar alignment. I don't what put my wife in the mood that day, but she spent about $1500 on the eotech and all things magpul to upgrade this rifle. I know I'll likely never get another. SO, I washed it in vinegar and water (stinky:() Then rinsed in dawn and warm water. Then I sprayed it down and I'm still going through paper towels to dry it out. No chances. Thanks.

I don't understand, these are not cheap batteries and my safe is in the bedroom at a constant 69-72 degrees. I've been to the range one time since putting them in, it was very hot, but I was out in it MAYBE 3 hours.

Anyone ever had any issues with Energizer Advanced Lithium? I don't ever wanna see this again.

Guest Plainsman

I use energizer lithium as well and haven't had a problem, but I do check them often. When I know the rifle will sit for a while I just take them out. Man I wish those ACOGs weren't so expensive!

I recently had a some batteries leak inside my flashlight and it ruined the light. I tried vinegar but it didn't help. Duracell sent me a check in the mail for the cost of the light and sent me new batteries.

Doubt that you would get them to pop for an Eotech. Going to check mine right now

Doubt that you would get them to pop for an Eotech. Going to check mine right now

You never know. They advertise for use with medical equipment and firefighters. If you go to them nicely, things may happen. I'll buy this ine off of you at a reduced cost when they replace it. :rolleyes:

I don't think vinegar should be a problem with the metal. It is fairly dilute. It will also react with the alkalinity from the batteries before it starts attacking the metal. However, I don't know if I would soak it for lengthy time periods.

Guest Lester Weevils

A couple or three years ago got a couple of EOTECH 511.A65. Those are the "inexpensive" sights which use a pair of alkaline N batts.

I like the small size and as far as I can tell they work as good as any EOTECH unless you need night vision capability or fancy long-distance reticle.

Didn't know at the time that the 511 model likes to eat batteries when turned off sitting in the safe. Both units killed the batts over a few months and I adapted by habitually removing the batts except when using the sights. One of the units ran the batts down sitting in the safe and left a slimy mess of leaked N batts.

EOTECH warns that some batteries are more susceptible to damage from recoil shock. POSSIBLY recoil caused those batts to leak, rather than excessive low-current discharge. However, recoil is not severe on 5.56 weapons. Excessive discharge seems the most likely explanation but I dunno nothin. The EOTECHs are made of good materials and the leaked sight cleaned up nicely and doesn't show obvious damage.

I have a less-expensive Bushnell Holo-sight (made or licensed by EOTECH) which uses 2 AAA batts. The Bushnell Holo-Sight seems to work as good as the others except it looks easier to break if you accidentally abuse it too much. I was about to brag on the Bushnell not eating batts sitting in the safe because it had lasted at least a couple of years mostly sitting in the safe. But I just checked and it had finally run down the AAA batts and wouldn't turn on. Swapped batts and it still works fine. At least the dead AAA batts didn't leak (yet).

Maybe some EOTECH's don't have quiescent batt drain but the ones I have ought to be stored without batts. It is by far the finest sight my old eyes have used. If I have to take the batts out for storage I guess it is worth the trouble. I have a couple of cheaper red-dots that will sit in the safe forever without running down the little coin cell batts. On the other hand, the cheap red-dots are not as much pleasure to use.

If aluminum vinegar may affect it. Baking soda solution then WD40 to clear the moisture out.

No that wouldn't help. Baking soda is a base, two alkaline substances wouldn't cancel each other out. Vinegar is a mild acid. You neutralize one with the other. If I remember right, when an acid meets a base, you get an exothermic chemical reaction and the biproducts are salt (Not necessarily NaCl) and water. That's why you pour baking soda on an acid spill.

No that wouldn't help. Baking soda is a base, two alkaline substances wouldn't cancel each other out. Vinegar is a mild acid. You neutralize one with the other. If I remember right, when an acid meets a base, you get an exothermic chemical reaction and the biproducts are salt (Not necessarily NaCl) and water. That's why you pour baking soda on an acid spill.

Yes, this is correct. Water is both an acid and a base (HOH actually, acids start with H, and bases end with OH) which is why it is neutral. Water will work just fine, if you use a lot of it, but the acid will do it faster. My advice is to simply not store the thing with batterys in it after this. If you think you will hit the range and forget them, tie a pack to the barrel, in the original package.

Yes, this is correct. Water is both an acid and a base (HOH actually, acids start with H, and bases end with OH) which is why it is neutral. Water will work just fine, if you use a lot of it, but the acid will do it faster. My advice is to simply not store the thing with batterys in it after this. If you think you will hit the range and forget them, tie a pack to the barrel, in the original package.

Yep, this is the beauty part of the Magpul stock. Plenty of room for the batteries.

I only use energizer lithium in mine and I always pop them out before putting it in the safe. I have dealt with customer service before and they were very good. I broke the aluminum battery compartment lever (my fault). They sent me 2 new levers and roll pins at no charge. I guess they figured if I did it once, I would do it again.

Yes, you are correct. An acid + base = salt + water. In this case the potassium hydroxide (KOH) from the leaking alkaline battery will react with the aectic acid (vinegar) to give you potassium acetate, which is very water soluble. Potassium hydroxide is also very water soluble as well, so it can be washed off as well. The reaction won't really be all that exothermic since it will be very dilute.

As far as sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) not reacting with the potassium hydroxide, that is not really correct. One mole of bicarbonate can react with one mole of a metal alkoxide (KOH).

NaHCO3 (sodium bicarbonate) + NaOH (sodium hydroxide) -> Na2CO3 (sodium carbonate, soda ash) + H2O

Sodium bicarbonate will also work neutralizing an acid.

Regardless, acetic acid will work better.

Guest TresOsos
A couple or three years ago got a couple of EOTECH 511.A65. Those are the "inexpensive" sights which use a pair of alkaline N batts.

I like the small size and as far as I can tell they work as good as any EOTECH unless you need night vision capability or fancy long-distance reticle.

Didn't know at the time that the 511 model likes to eat batteries when turned off sitting in the safe. Both units killed the batts over a few months and I adapted by habitually removing the batts except when using the sights. One of the units ran the batts down sitting in the safe and left a slimy mess of leaked N batts.

EOTECH warns that some batteries are more susceptible to damage from recoil shock. POSSIBLY recoil caused those batts to leak, rather than excessive low-current discharge. However, recoil is not severe on 5.56 weapons. Excessive discharge seems the most likely explanation but I dunno nothin. The EOTECHs are made of good materials and the leaked sight cleaned up nicely and doesn't show obvious damage.

I have a less-expensive Bushnell Holo-sight (made or licensed by EOTECH) which uses 2 AAA batts. The Bushnell Holo-Sight seems to work as good as the others except it looks easier to break if you accidentally abuse it too much. I was about to brag on the Bushnell not eating batts sitting in the safe because it had lasted at least a couple of years mostly sitting in the safe. But I just checked and it had finally run down the AAA batts and wouldn't turn on. Swapped batts and it still works fine. At least the dead AAA batts didn't leak (yet).

Maybe some EOTECH's don't have quiescent batt drain but the ones I have ought to be stored without batts. It is by far the finest sight my old eyes have used. If I have to take the batts out for storage I guess it is worth the trouble. I have a couple of cheaper red-dots that will sit in the safe forever without running down the little coin cell batts. On the other hand, the cheap red-dots are not as much pleasure to use.

Lester, Eotech came out with the REV. F upgrade to their various models and this is suppose to have fixed the battery drain issues.

If you still have them and they are not maked Rev F. you might call Eotech and see if they would upgrade them.

Guest bkelm18
Yes, you are correct. An acid + base = salt + water. In this case the potassium hydroxide (KOH) from the leaking alkaline battery will react with the aectic acid (vinegar) to give you potassium acetate, which is very water soluble. Potassium hydroxide is also very water soluble as well, so it can be washed off as well. The reaction won't really be all that exothermic since it will be very dilute.

As far as sodium bicarbonate (baking soda) not reacting with the potassium hydroxide, that is not really correct. One mole of bicarbonate can react with one mole of a metal alkoxide (KOH).

NaHCO3 (sodium bicarbonate) + NaOH (sodium hydroxide) -> Na2CO3 (sodium carbonate, soda ash) + H2O

Sodium bicarbonate will also work neutralizing an acid.

Regardless, acetic acid will work better.

I'm quite happy I understood all of that. Haha. I'm majoring in Chemistry.

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks TresOsos

Both of mine, on the bottom-right corner of the left side of the sight, have a little F printed on them. If that means they are Rev F, then the fix did not seem complete.

From some earlier web discussions here and elsewhere, it was said that all or most of the EOTECHs by design drain the battery a tiny amount when turned off. One person guessed perhaps it assures that the laser will reliably turn on in cold weather. If the slow drain happened to take a year or two with the "big battery" models then maybe people wouldn't much notice or care?

It just so happens that "a tiny amount of current draw" means at best 2 or 3 months batt lifetime for mine (if I don't take out the batts before storing the guns in the safe). I like em fine. Not complaining.

If a pro was to use my sights daily then a pro might expect to regularly feed it fresh batts just to make sure the sight is good to go? Maybe the slow drain would not be an issue for professional use?