Man flashes gun while asking for money...thoughts?

Police: Man Tried To Rob Customer In Walmart Parking Lot - NewsChannel5.com | Nashville News, Weather & Sports

Let's say this happened to you, a legally carrying individual with a HCP. So here's my question. Would you be legal to draw your weapon and protect yourself, even though the gun was never pointed at you, just shown to you?

To me it would be no different than someone going into a bank and showing a gun and demanding money.

What are your thoughts?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whats' "legal" and what's "prudent" are two different things.

If someone has shown a firearm and made a demand for my money then I'd be a fool to believe that he would not use it nor do I have to wait for him to point it at me to...in other words, at that point that it is reasonable for me to think that my life is in danger and if my life is in danger then in my opinion, I have a right to defend myself with the use of deadly force and would be perfectly within my right to draw my weapon.

Of course, all that is meaningless unless I have the opportunity to draw and bring my weapon to bear before he can do the same...if he, effectively, has the drop on me then me drawing my weapon may be a very unwise more.

All that said, the most unwise move would be that I was so unaware of the potential threat that I let myself get into that position in the first place.

Guest Bronker
So he says "give me some gas money" and shows his gun.

Do you really need to hear him say, "give me some gas money or I'll kill you" or actually draw his gun to fear for your life?

- OS

Enough implied intent for me too, Chief.

Guest biohazardmatthew

Let me give my advise from an LEO point of view. I would draw my firearm while instructing him to put his hands in the air. If his hands go any where but up then you pull the trigger.

Guest ArmaDeFuego

If someone is asking for money while showing a gun, thats robbery in my book. I would definitely be in fear for my life at that point & would act accordingly.

Let's say this happened to you, a legally carrying individual with a HCP. So here's my question. Would you be legal to draw your weapon and protect yourself, even though the gun was never pointed at you, just shown to you?

Absolutely. You have just found yourself in the middle of an armed robbery. I would hope I am faster than him because I’m drawing my weapon and backing up. If he attempts to pull his I would shoot him.

Once he displays it you don’t have to wait to see what he is going to do with it. Contrary to popular belief if someone is pointing a gun a you your chances of survival are zip.

News story would of been, "Man shot in walmart parking lot after brandishing a gun & attempting robbery on a armed citizen"

This is what I was thinking. I was just curious if by showing the gun, you were to take that as a "life threat". I did, but wasn't sure how others would take that. Good stuff!

Let me give my advise from an LEO point of view. I would draw my firearm while instructing him to put his hands in the air. If his hands go any where but up then you pull the trigger.

Seems to be the thing to do. I've given him the chance to stop his actions and prepared myself to take action, if needed. Obviously if he move towards the gun while I was talking to him I would fire. I think we need to remember that shooting someone is not as easy to do, or live with afterwards, as it is to type on a keyboard.

Guest bkelm18
Can non-LEOs do this? I was under the impression that non-LEOs are either defending ourselves with deadly force if we fire or we're brandishing if we don't.

I'd rather be charged with brandishing than dead. I doubt you'd be charged with brandishing if you drew your weapon and he surrendered or ran.

Guest 270win

Armed robbery and you would be able to use deadly force to stop that. You better be able to think fast and react with something like that or you may not be able to think again. A man showing a weapon and demanding money is robbery plain and simple. It is your choice to use deadly force to protect yourself. If you can draw fast and fire, in my opinion, that would be the way to save yourself in such an awful situation. Sad if you were in such a situation.

Edited by 270win
Can't give you any money but ill give you all the pieces of lead you can handle.

Come on, help the man out....at least let him have the brass too!! :shrug:

More seriously, I'm with BiohazardMatt... Don't think it would be prudent to shoot just on that basis, but definitely be prepared to do so...