Random Fire Starting Items

Asides from the normal items (lighter, matches, fire steels, etc...), what other random items have you found to help start fires? It is always good to know a few other things in case of emergency. I'll start:

#1 Alcohol based hand sanitizer (burns well with a blue flame) I have also made a mini stove with a tin can and a cap full of sanitizer as fuel.

#2 Pine Tree Sap. Even after its dried, the sap makes a great fire starter that will burn for several minutes.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I like to call drip plastic ... certain plastics will burn and drop a flaming goo that will in turn start a fire on damp wood etc. One good source of this is many type of dental floss, another is certain types of grocery bags, but do not over-use it as you don't want to breathe the smoke or taint your food, just drip a few times onto the kindling as you start up. Steel wool has a flammable coating that can make a super hot "coal" of metal long enough to make a fire as well, same thing do not breathe the fumes or cook over it until that stuff is burnt off though, yuck! Pine sap is great as you noted, a green pinecone is awesome to put into a bag to use later as they are full of the sap when green. A candle works great if the wind is not too harsh, one of the bright, flammable wax sort that burn up fast (usully a stick candle) is best. A can is great to shield against the wind to get one started in a harsh environment, but they have to be just right, with some air holes and deep enough to not create a vortex from wind over the top of the can. 151 rum is my favorite soak in fuel, it will soak in and burn and the fumes are not terribly dangerous -- besides, if the fire wont start, it will still keep you warm :screwy:

You can put vasaline on a cotton ball, it burns for about a minute while you build your fire. Also ignites on the first strike from Fire flint.

You can take the bullet out of a round and dump the powder onto your kindling. Shoot the primer and the powder for ignition. Black powder rifle works the same. I saw this method on Dual Survival but have never tried it.

A Frito chip will burn for a long time because of the oils used. This works if you have a lighter but want to conserve fuel.

Guest bkelm18

You can take the bullet out of a round and dump the powder onto your kindling. Shoot the primer and the powder for ignition. Black powder rifle works the same. I saw this method on Dual Survival but have never tried it.

That's iffy. I've seen several shows where they had lots of trouble accomplishing this. Les Stroud (Survivorman) did it on one of his shows but took him several tries (ie. used up a lot of ammo).

Im not a fan of gunpowder or similar (fireworks, wood dust, whatever) as it just does a whoosh and is gone. You want something that burns for a while and is easily ignited, so you can get the fire going from that, not a flash. Anything gunpowder can ignite can just be lit off with a match or lighter. Now, if you didnt have a match or lighter, this is a possible substitute.

Oh, if you wanted a sub for the match/lighter part, then yea a bullet is good, if noisy. How about a magnifying glass + sun or similar (did you know a clear water bottle filled so it has no air bubble will work as a magnifier?), friction based stuff like strong twine/cord/yarn etc. Ive done the string and the magnifier ones, but never fooled with a bullet. I have never managed to do it with the 2 sticks method ( or bow and stick, whatever the proper terminology for this is), but have seen it done when I was a scout. A 9 volt or larger battery --- you can spark that to light up a good fuel like the 151 or gas or something, but I doubt it would light kindling. Static electriciy would work for a very good fuel same as a battery, of course.

I ordered some pitch wood from a guy up in Washington state. I split them into small sticks and put them into old endmill tubes. They burn like gasoline! Toss in a few strike anywhere matches dipped in paraffin and put the little tubes everywhere.

Also try dryer lint believe it or not.

This is a good subject, we all think we know how to start a fire but Bic lighters and diesel have made some of us lazy. I was thinking of putting some stuff together on this very subject and doing a little workshop with any of the guys that want to meet up.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/survival-preparedness/60805-williamson-county-rally-point.html

Edited by Caster

Yea, like Caster said, we all know how, but try to challenge yourself. I practice in all sorts of conditions (rain, wind, snow, etc...) and hope if I ever have to really make a fire I will. The hardest one I've ever done is the fire plow. The fire plow is personally responsible for my always carrying a lighter. Another item I thought of is alcohol wipes. They mix a cloth with a bit of flammable alcohol. It is also very easy to keep several of these in a small pack or kit. I also have a magnesium bar in my small kit. These are great for starting fires as long as you take the time to pile the shavings proper.

A 9-volt battery will cause a piece of steel wool to ignite. Jumper cables connected to a car battery and then shorted on the other end by touching the clamps together will make some nice sparks, which can be used to light tinder.

My favorite firestarting method is to take a soda can, cut it in half to make a cup, then fill that cup 1/2 way with gas. Put it in the firepit and stack up the kindling around it. Use another stick or long match to light the gas. It makes a nice 6" flame that burns for about 10 minutes, and will dry out damp wood, and pretty much catch any of the firewood on fire. It does not explode or make a huge fireball because the surface area of the gas that oxygen can get to is kept to a minimum. Just don't knock it over.

For fire starting, as with almost all skills takes practice. The more primitive, the more practice required to master that skill. All friction fire starting methods can take a long time to get started and they require the right materials under the right conditions to create heat to make a fire. I always carry a magnesium block, one in the truck, one in the car, one on each motorcycle. There will be naysayers out there that will dismiss the mag block. It can used to start a fire in just about any environmental condition. It burns at over 3k degrees and can be used to dry out your tinder and kindling.

One other thing folks should think about in their kits is dual use items. It has already been mentioned that vaseline and cotton makes for outstanding tinder. In my first aid kits I keep vaseline gauze packs. While they have really fallen out of favor in the First Aid world they make excellent, readily available fire starting kits. Take the gauze, cut a small (1/2 in or so) X in the center of the package. Tuft up the gauze, light it with whatever means you have available and depending on the size of the X you cut a large gauze pad can burn like a candle for an hour or so. What I used it for when I was at SERE, on cold rainy days I would pull my gauze pad out, light it off with that mag block, sit on my knees and set that lit gauze between my legs to warm up my femoral arteries. When warmed, pick up the pad, fold it in half, extinguish the fire, slide it the pocket and move along. A very quick and easy positive attitude boost. :rolleyes:

Edited by buck1032
Stupid fat fingering typing LOL
Guest Lester Weevils
A 9 volt or larger battery --- you can spark that to light up a good fuel like the 151 or gas or something, but I doubt it would light kindling.

Aha! Another excellent reason to always have plenty of 151 on hand for emergencies.

I ought to try some 151 in the little coleman backpacker stove see if it would run.

I make up a film canister of "Fire Goo". My wife collects the dryer lint for me and I mix it with petroleum jelly. Works great. Just scoop a little out as needed.

MRE heaters or solid fuel sticks are good too if you can find them and keep them in your pack.

I have used dryer lint, a cardboard egg carton with either saw dust or the top of the egg carton ripped up and dropped into each hole. Then fill with wax. Rip off each "hole" don't know how long they burn but they make it real easy to light a fire.

I would also like to add to this.

When you watch alot of people light a fire they have no idea what they are doing. A fire can be easily started with a single match. However it takes proper preperation. Starting with a small pile of sticks as small as possible. Like match size diameter and smaller pile them up. Tight but not so tight to smother a flame. Then slowly work up the diameter. Once you get around finger size you can jump to bigger and bigger size. But starting you have to work up bit by bit keeping the diameter as close as possible slowly getting bigger.

As far as actually lighting a fire, I have used flint before. Sure I have done a couple others, just can't think of them. Never really got a stick to work or stick and bow. Got hot, never really lit.

Guest CarmenT

The steel wool/battery method or the magnesium firestarter w/steel rod for ignition source. Dried citrus fruit peels have considerable oil in them and create a way to use up the inedible peels Well, inedible except for people who enjoy eating marmalade and fruitcake. LOL