New to reloading. Thoughts and opinions needed and welcomed.

My whole family has been around arms way before my time. However, my father has a reloading station which is a little dated but still works like a charm. I am currently in the process of purchasing a house and looking to set up my own station without taking his stuff.

Is there a company that makes a full "starter" kit or offers everything to put one together? Looking for something budget friendly but still quality stuff thats not going to completely break the bank.

Thanks guys.

IMO, the most important part of a reloading setup, bar none, is the Book. I personally bought the RCBS - Speer book before I bought anything else and read the whole book cover to cover, except the data tables for cartridges I didn't have. Once I was familiar with the material, THEN I got the gear.

RCBS makes a RockChucker Master kit. It has all you need to get started. It came with another copy of the RCBS - Speer book -- I loaned the spare copy to a friend. The RockChucker and it's Master Kit is very durable, perhaps over-engineered for the forces required.

I'm thinking that Lee has an all in one kit as well, and perhaps at a lower cost. It also comes with a book that ought to be read first. The Lee book was a little more all-over-the-map for me, but some folks like it just fine. The Lee stuff reportedly is durable enough, but it's also got a reputation for not being overengineered.

When I got started, I did try to purchase the main items all from the same folks (RCBS) so that the books and manuals and instructions and tables and the equipment all made sense, instead of mix and match and having to read between the lines. I feel more comfortable mixing and matching now that I've got some idea about what I'm doing. I'm still an amateur though, I've got a lot to learn.

Edited by QuietDan

I've seen the Rockchucker before and I really like it. Just sucks that its kinda expensive..or I guess I should say sucks that I'm broke lol. I will def. look in to it. How much do dies usually run?

What else would I need to reload shotgun shells? A different kit or just some more equipment added to the Rockchucker?

I Think (not 100% sure) you need a totally different kit for shotguns. Dies are $30-50 ish for a set. Lee does have all in one kits -- just try to get a steel press, not aluminum -- many claim the al ones wear out or something. They also often sell directly refurbished presses and items, at a big discount, may get lucky on one.

Regarding reloading kits and reloading dies: Just for examples some stuff from Midway USA because the price is often pretty good and because they've got a lot of stuff. Just for example, don't just buy stuff without the research! Any stuff you buy that you eventually outgrow or isn't for you gets sold to others or does a side function on your bench or whatever, it doesn't go to waste.

Locally, (Middle Tennessee) the fine folks at:

the Reloader's Bench in Mt. Juliet,

Welcome to The Reloaders Bench, Mt Juliet TN

and Outpost Armory in Christianna,

The Outpost Armory

and others, have reloading stuff. Buying locally means you're also underwriting your access to their advice, which has great value. Folks at those places are certainly invited to chime in, subject to rules here.

At Midway USA:

Rockchucker master kit:

RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Single Stage Press Master Kit - MidwayUSA

Don't know what caliber for you, but for example RCBS dies for .308:

RCBS Small Base 2-Die Set 308 Winchester - MidwayUSA

Lee Anniversary press kit:

Lee Challenger Breech Lock Single Stage Press Anniversary Kit - MidwayUSA

Lee dies for .308:

Lee Deluxe 3-Die Set 308 Winchester - MidwayUSA

Regarding shotgun presses:

Shotgun press RCBS

RCBS The Mini Grand Single Stage Shotshell Press 12 Gauge 2-3/4", 3", 3-1/2" - MidwayUSA

Shotgun press Lee

Lee Load-All 2 Shotshell Press 12 Gauge 2-3/4", 3" - MidwayUSA

Shotgun press MEC

MEC Sizemaster Single Stage Shotshell Press 12 Gauge 2-3/4", 3" - MidwayUSA

Just to get you started, ask questions, browse, find your own path.

Here's another recommendation for the RCBS Rockchucker kit. As I recall, die sets are in the $40 range (I haven't bought any in a while). MEC 600 Jr. presses are dandy for shotshells, but they are gauge-specific -- you need a separate press for each gauge. Gauge changeover is possible but slow and difficult. Ebay is a good place to look for used shotshell presses.

Buy a good reloading book and find out what you need for successful reloading. The RCBS kit has what you need and nothing that you don't need.

Here is what I have recommended to about a dozen people so far. None have said anything abd about the selections.

[TABLE=width: 692]

[TR]

[TD]Product #

[/TD]

[TD]Description

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]107333

[/TD]

[TD]Lee Case Length Gage and Shellholder 223 Remington

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]118739

[/TD]

[TD]Lyman Electronic Scale Powder Funnel Pan

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]136199

[/TD]

[TD]Lee Case Trimmer Cutter with Ball Grip

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]858110

[/TD]

[TD]Hornady Lock-N-Load Press and Die Conversion Bushing Kit

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]215819

[/TD]

[TD]Lee Collet Neck Sizer Die 223 Remington

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]389104

[/TD]

[TD]Lee Chamfer and Deburring Tool

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]401556

[/TD]

[TD]Redding Body Die 223 Remington

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]519525

[/TD]

[TD]Imperial Case Sizing Wax 2 oz

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]540522

[/TD]

[TD]Lee Perfect Powder Measure

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]566058

[/TD]

[TD]Lee Auto Prime Hand Priming Tool Shellholder Package of 11

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]645558

[/TD]

[TD]Lee Universal Shellholder #4 (17 Remington, 204 Ruger, 223 Remington)

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]713372

[/TD]

[TD]Frankford Arsenal Micro Reloading Electronic Powder Scale 750 Grain Capacity

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]413473

[/TD]

[TD]Lee Auto Prime XR Hand Priming Tool

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]317831

[/TD]

[TD]Lee Classic Cast Single Stage Press

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

It has everything you would need without breaking the bank. You can remove or add the calibers you feel like. With the 223 dies I would keep the collet and body die as it helps make the brass last a lot longer than the all in one die.

If you go here you can get a lot of the Lee stuff cheaper but it might take longer to get the items you ordered.

https://factorysales.com/

This list is like everything else, a preference. Everyone has their own recommendations. I have used everything from high end reloading equipment down to Lee stuff and honestly the Lee stuff has worked as well as the high end stuff for my needs. I do shoot precision rifles as well as a lot of 9mm and 45 ACP.

Dolomite

Dolomite, I had the Lee perfect powder, two actually, I returned the first one. They both leak out the side with fine ball powders like AA#2. I bet it would work just fine with extruded powders.

They do leak some but they tend to meter very accurately. I double check every throw on my rifle rounds and it is always within .1 using Varget or H335. If I loose a little bit of powder I don't mind. Something else that helps is to disassemble it and wax the inside then tighten it down a little bit tighter.

Dolomite

What are you shooting.......Pistol or Rifle? Presses like Rockcrushers have their place

as do progressives ....Depending on what your shooting and how much is 100% dependent

on what press you want to own.

I plan on reloading everything. 30-06, 243, .45, .223, 357 mag. ect ect. Thank you guys all for the very good information!

I picked up a Lee 4 Hole Turret Press with Auto Index Deluxe Kit from MidwayUsa.com, that and a set of dies is all the hardware you need to get your feet wet. You'll want to pick up some other things along the way, like a new scale, extra turrets, etc., but the kit and dies will get you started for less than $150.

Dolomite, I had the Lee perfect powder, two actually, I returned the first one. They both leak out the side with fine ball powders like AA#2. I bet it would work just fine with extruded powders.

That's the deal. Absolutely sucks for ball powder, but may be the best for extruded. So, I kept mine and mounted an RCBS uniflow next to it. Between the two, you're covered. I also bought an RCBS Chargemaster. It's the best for the kind of reloading I'll be doing the most of. Mostly rifle with accurate charges.

i like lyman myself as far as presses go .lee makes great dies and at the best price you might br able to pick up a good used press .get all the reloading books you can i like lee first because they sell no powder brass or bullets so they dont tell you to use their supplies lyman next for the same reason .sierra imo is the best put out by a bullet mfg.but most all reloading stuff has both good and bad points you will enjoy it but take it slow read the books then reload

• Like 1

Iggy, I shoot and reload about 400-500 rounds of 9mm per month now. When I first started (just this past spring, I did exactly what you did...I asked the experts. Jonnin and Dolomite helped me out a lot! I can't thank them enough for answering all my questions so patiently.

I paid it forward and helped a couple of friends out when they wanted to get started. Because we all shoot pistols primarily, my friends and I settle on turret presses. Personally, I went with the Lee deluxe turret kit (everything you need to get started for about $115). I'm very happy with it and have no doubt it'll hold up well for pistol rounds. I don't think it would hold up to long-term use with rifle rounds, though. One step up is the the Classic turret. It is much stronger and costs about $110-120 (press only).

The best things about the Lee turrets: they are pretty darn fast at cranking out pistol rounds, can be had very inexpensively, and can be used as a single-stage by removing the indexing rod (best of both worlds).

Here's some decent starter kits: https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=190&Itemid=41.

fixing to sell all my reloading stuff

I have been reloading so long have to many bullets so I will be selling all my stuff including the bench have to mutch to list all the diff manuals all dillon tons of 45acp 380 and 40s&w cases and bullets and primers to fit them all. dillon square deal b press with 45acp 380 dies and 40s&w dies dig scale and dillon powder scale tons of diff powders dig calipers let me know it's all like new

Guest Joshua8200

I don't want to get too off from the original poster's questions. But how much per round doese it cost to reload 9mm? Not counting the cost of equipment and everything, and just approximating the cost of the materials.

I don't want to get too off from the original poster's questions. But how much per round doese it cost to reload 9mm? Not counting the cost of equipment and everything, and just approximating the cost of the materials.

I load 9mm with cast bullets for about .11-.13 a round. I quite using jacketed when I sold my Glock. Missouri Bullet company is where I order bullets from and buy primers and powder locally.

Dolomite

Here's how I break that down. First disregard tax, since you pay that plus some for factory ammo...

1) Powder: 7,000 grains per pound / cost per pound X grains per round = cost per round. I use 4.1 gr of Bullseye ($18) to load 115 gr bullets, so that's 1.05 cents/rd.

2) Bullets: I recently bought 1000 Berry's plated 115 gr round nose for $76 shipped, so that's 7.6 cents/rd.

3) Primers: I regularly find 1000 Winchester primers for around $38, so that's 3.8 cents/rd.

4) Brass: I saved up so much brass before I started loading that I ignore this cost, but you can buy 9mm for 4 cents/rd easy.

So, you can reload a box of 9mm for $6.23 w/ your brass or $8.23 if you buy the brass.

Hope that helps

Edited by BigK
Assuming you pick up the brass free somewhere, its about $30 for 1000 primers, about $20 for 1 pound of powder (which at say will reload between 1000 and 1500 or so 9mm), and 1000 cheap slugs is about $50-75. So that just over $100 per 1000 give or take local prices and what have you, or $5 a box. The cheapest, nastiest 9mm out there is still $8 per box, and the ammo you make will be much better at a lower price.