Hang-fire on installing flag pole for Old Glory

QuietDan

I'm stuck on top-dead-center just short of putting up my flag-pole in front of my home.

I've got a gorgeous twenty-foot telescoping flag pole out in the garage that I've carried through my last two military assignments and for more than five years have never installed. I am now retired and am going to put it up in front of my very nice home-station retirement house. I've got a very nice outdoor quality nylon U.S. flag, sewn stripes and embroidered stars, and a good Tennessee flag as well.

I've picked out and measured the perfect spot in front of the house and driven a three-foot metal stake two-feet into the ground at the spot I want it to be. My wife's all for it and likes the spot. The 811 folks have been called and have marked the gas and electric lines in the front yard (we're good). I've got the post-hole digger from home depot, along with the river rock for the bottom of the hole and the quickcrete concrete for it. I've even found my two four-foot levels I can duct tape to the pole to get it exactly vertical so it doesn't lean or look draggily. I've barked my shin on the stake and bashed the lawnmower into it for three weeks now.

I am all set to go, and yet, I just can't bring myself to dig the hole and pour the concrete!

I'm not sure what the heck is going on here!! I've lived so many places where I've been in military housing and can't put up a flag pole. I've been in Iraq where we didn't fly American Flags (Tennessee flag outside my hooch instead) because we didn't want to look like Occupiers to the Iraqis. I've rented where I didn't own the property so it wasn't my choice. I've always gotten by with the angle bracket flag-pole on the side of the house.

Now, it's totally my call and my right and . . . I just can't bring myself to dig the damn hole and put it up!

It might have something to do with . . . you never unpack your last moving box because you'll get movement orders. It might be like hunting a certain buck for two seasons and having him stand broadside just below your tree-stand and you just can't draw down on him. (???)

Well, here I am. I really don't know why I'm hanging back . . .

Maybe there's a Retired Viet Vet or other conflict -- Soldier, Sailor, Marine, or Airman that can relate. . . .

I'm thinking it really needs to go up before 11 September 2011 for obvious reasons.

Thoughts???

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dig the hole.

After all you have done for this country, show you are still proud of her. Who knows, maybe it will catch on in your neighborhood and all your neighbors will follow suit. Would be nice to see an American flag on the property of every American. If for nothing else to identify those who aren't.

I fly a flag and have pretty much non stop for years now.

Dolomite

I have one to install too, but I just want to get it in before Veteran's Day. Like you I've had several temporary poles in the past, but I'm here for good and I bought a 20 ft aluminum pole back on Memorial Day.

I'm just waiting for cooler weather to dig the hole.

I have a nice Old Glory, a Tennessee flag, a Marine Corps flag and a Gonzales (Come And Take It) flag for the appropriate occasions. There will be more.

You can do it - take your entrenching tool and stick it in the dirt. That's the easy part. :)

• Admin Team

Well, if you're wanting to get it up before the anniversary of September 11, as someone who was in 1WTC that morning and spent 9 months on the rescue and recovery, I can tell you firsthand that the solitary thing that gave me comfort during that time was watching the pride that Americans of all types took in our country. I'll never forget walking away from the site in the early hours of September 12th with a group of firefighters, all of us covered head to toe in soot and ash, and seeing the flags and candles lining the streets for blocks as passed Canal street.

Put up the flag. We need more people like you.

Guest Sgt. Joe

Thank You for your service Sir!

I see that you have been here for a few months but let me give you my Welcome to TGO.

Somehow I can almost understand what your mind and heart are going through but not enough to be able to put it into any words that would help you.

I also very strongly agree with the others that you should plant that pole and raise that Flag.

I also somehow know that whatever is going on inside you will sort itself out and that you will raise our beautiful symbol soon.

Welcome and Thank You again.

Well, if you're wanting to get it up before the anniversary of September 11, as someone who was in 1WTC that morning and spent 9 months on the rescue and recovery, I can tell you firsthand that the solitary thing that gave me comfort during that time was watching the pride that Americans of all types took in our country. I'll never forget walking away from the site in the early hours of September 12th with a group of firefighters, all of us covered head to toe in soot and ash, and seeing the flags and candles lining the streets for blocks as passed Canal street.

Put up the flag. We need more people like you.

MacGyver,

We need more people like YOU.

God Bless and thanks to all for the thoughts. I've got a day or so to use the rain for one last excuse, and then I'm out.

gitter done Dan! then post the picture. I will be getting this tattoo completed on 9/11 to comemorate the loss of American lives. It will be on my right inside bicep from my elbow up to my shoulder. BTW I am originally from New York.

remembering_911_customizable_designs_sticker-p217718910487871517tdcj_152.jpg

Guest Sgt. Joe
gitter done Dan! then post the picture. I will be getting this tattoo completed on 9/11 to comemorate the loss of American lives. It will be on my right inside bicep from my elbow up to my shoulder. BTW I am originally from New York.

remembering_911_customizable_designs_sticker-p217718910487871517tdcj_152.jpg

I only have one Tat and it is 35 years old. I have never really though about getting another one but something very similar to what you have shown may well be what changes my mind. I think that is rather cool.:biglol: