Got pulled over by Texas Highway Patrol

Coming back from Texas yesterday, I got pulled over By a Texas Trooper in Marshall. He happened to be behind me at a stop light and I had a brake light out. I gave him my license, showed him my carry permit and told him I was carrying. He was cool about it, just said thanks for telling him and went to his car to do a license check. Wound up giving me a warning and sent me on my way. I suspect he was just doing some fishing since I was coming from south Texas. A good trip visiting the grandkids but man was it HOT.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Eagle One

Greetings. This happened to me recently in Lexington, Tn. I was coming in to town from the State Park and an officer pulled me over. He asked me to get out of the car and come around to the back as my tail light was out. While I was out he asked me for my license and insurance, I handed him my license and he got into his car and called in. I told him I had a carry permit, he asked me if I had a gun with me and I told him that I did. He asked if it was secure and I said yes and he just said OK and went on about his business. I got the light fixed that day and went to the police department and they checked the light and said have a good day. All in all a positive experience.

Amen! they're getting rare!

I don't think they are getting rare. You just don't see stories in the media about cops pulling over permit holders, treating them with courtesy, and sending them on their way. That doesn't doesn't sell papers, get people to tune in, etc. It's the uncommon incident of a cop screaming at a permit holder on video which gets all the attention. If that type of conduct happened all the time (cop screaming at permit holder) it wouldn't be newsworthy.

I say positive things about them when warranted. Unfortunately i have lived in several parts of the country and have had more negative experiences than positive. I also have friends who are currently LE and some retired. Funny they even have negative experiences and things to say sometime.

I call a spade a spade. Sorry it bothers you. I don't see anything wrong with the officers behavior in the OP's encounter. But you have to admit,there are some bad cops out there.

I actually love the Sherriff's Dept here in Blount county. I think they are fantastic! Alcoa PD is a joke. Just a big revenue machine of ego maniacs with a power trip. Maryville PD seems ok. I had an issue once with a rookie. I drove straight down to the depth. and the shift commander tore up the ticket and apologized. No biggie.

Same with Knox county. Always professional and helpful. As for KPD,i wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire.

Edited by hornett22
Guest lostpass

I recall some study wherein the officers went from positive to negative after college degrees became required.

The way it went is that before the degree was required the cops were much more likely to give "high status" (read that as folks that dressed nice and drove nice cars) a warning and those with with low status a ticket. After they changed it cops just gave tickets to everyone. You love the cop that lets you slide you hate the guy the that makes you pay. So even though the cops were more fair they were hated more. Though that is what everyone says they want.

I've been told the vest way to deal with these encounter is to mix in "Sir" "Officer" and "Deputy" a lot. But pick the right one, calling a deputy an Officer is probably a tazing or something

About as rare as finding a TGO member without something negative to say about Law Enforcement in general.

There are many of us here that support and respect our Police Officers the same as our Military. Especially those that have walked in your shoes.

On this day of remembrance for those chosen few that go towards the danger to help, let me say, thank you for what you do.

Thank you and God bless all those that lost their lives in the line of duty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you and God bless all the Military and GOOD cops and Firemen women out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cannot thank you enough!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you and God bless your families as well!!!!!!!!!!!!

I feel I don't deserve any thank you for the job I do. Now the men and women serving in the military on the other hand deserve to hear that day after day. My point is there are say 700,000 LEO in the U.S. but you have one run in with one idiot or see a news story and then blam out comes the negativity to whole field. I'm not here to change anyone's opinion but like you all I come to this forum also to unwind, see firearms related topics, and see what goodies are for sale. To the OP I'm glad you had a positive interaction and sorry I hijacked your thread.

Having worked for my home county sheriff's office as a teen, (small county in Kentucky, I was a radio operator), I got to know all of the local police and the state police that worked that county along with all the deputies and the sheriff. While we had one or two gung ho officers who were "proud" of their gun and badge, most were regular people just like you and I.

I can honestly say I have never received a citation I didn't deserve and just paid them. I have also never attempted to talk my way out of a ticket. I was guilty and deserved the ticket.

The encounter you had in Texas in my opinion, in not unusual. One needs to remember that when an officer approaches a car, he or she has no idea of the intent or disposition of the person driving the car. We have all seen or read accounts of officers killed while conducting what should have been a routine traffic stop. It should be understood that they are going to be cautious and on their guard.

When you conduct yourself properly, respond to the officer in a way that communicates respect for his authority, it goes a LONG way. While I have no way to know for sure, I honestly believe it was the fact that I made the officer aware of my weapon and permit up front and my courtesy in my communication with him that ultimately resulted in my being let go with just a warning and often a "thank you" for honesty.

I feel I don't deserve any thank you for the job I do. Now the men and women serving in the military on the other hand deserve to hear that day after day. My point is there are say 700,000 LEO in the U.S. but you have one run in with one idiot or see a news story and then blam out comes the negativity to whole field. I'm not here to change anyone's opinion but like you all I come to this forum also to unwind, see firearms related topics, and see what goodies are for sale. To the OP I'm glad you had a positive interaction and sorry I hijacked your thread.

I have run into a lot more than one bad cop. I have dealt with a lot of good ones.

What I don't understand is,people like myself can't be the only ones that know these guys are bad. Their co workers would know too I would think. Take the officer in the Canton Ohio incident,he wasn't the only officer in the video. Where the other officers condoning his behavior, are they just like him? He took all the heat which I think he deserved heat but there was never any mention of the other officers being investigated or even reprimanded!

There was also that officer in Baltimore that went after those skateboarders and the kid with the R/C car. No other cops watch Youtube? They don't want co workers that act like this gone? The behavior gives the Dept. and other officers as a whole a bad image,like it or not.

Having worked for my home county sheriff's office as a teen, (small county in Kentucky, I was a radio operator), I got to know all of the local police and the state police that worked that county along with all the deputies and the sheriff. While we had one or two gung ho officers who were "proud" of their gun and badge, most were regular people just like you and I.

I can honestly say I have never received a citation I didn't deserve and just paid them. I have also never attempted to talk my way out of a ticket. I was guilty and deserved the ticket.

The encounter you had in Texas in my opinion, in not unusual. One needs to remember that when an officer approaches a car, he or she has no idea of the intent or disposition of the person driving the car. We have all seen or read accounts of officers killed while conducting what should have been a routine traffic stop. It should be understood that they are going to be cautious and on their guard.

When you conduct yourself properly, respond to the officer in a way that communicates respect for his authority, it goes a LONG way. While I have no way to know for sure, I honestly believe it was the fact that I made the officer aware of my weapon and permit up front and my courtesy in my communication with him that ultimately resulted in my being let go with just a warning and often a "thank you" for honesty.

I give what I get when you come to my window. If you're a jerk,I respond accordingly and I have driven away from a few of those without a ticket and some even with an apology. If you come to my window friendly and civilized,that is what I will respond with.

Everyone has bad days but it doesn't give you the right to take your emotions out on the public,badge or not. I can't and wouldn't if I could.