P3AT?

gunsablazin

I sold a KelTec P32 to a TGO member a year or so ago, it shot just fine, but I swore to myself that I would never carry a "mouse gun" again. The reality is that occasionally a little gun is needed, and I'm thinking of getting a P3AT.

I have heard that they have improved their quality quite a bit, and that they have great customer service in the event you get a lemon. I do not want a single action pocket gun, so that rules out the Sig, and the Ruger LCP etc. look like the same gun for more money. What say you P3AT owners, do like yours? Would you buy another? I wish now that I just kept the .32, not much power, but it ran great.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got rid of my LCP because it wasn't fun to shoot. I said I didn't want to hassle with trying to find .380 ammo and my Glock 26 is small enough. Just like you, I then decided there are occasions when the size/weight of the Keltec/LCP/TCP is just too easy. For me it's either running/bike riding or the occasional hot weather social event where I'm concerned about printing. Anyway, I started looking for a LCP or a TCP when I found a deal on a P3AT which was parkerized. The parked finish sold me since it's my exercise gun. I haven't had any issues whatsoever and while it's not fun to shoot, for some reason I'm a little more accurate that I was with my LCP. I think it must be that the rougher grip is easier to hold on to. While it's not pretty, I can't find any reason to say that it's not as good as my LCP. It is my impression however, that any of the small .380 pocket guns are probably more suspect to be picky about hollow points and less likely to tolerate being dirty than your typical XD, M&P, Sig, Glock etc... My P3AT runs fine on fiocchi, WWB, Remmington, and Hornady Critical Defense which it's currently loaded with.

I had acquired a fairly new P3AT in a gun trade and seriously considered keeping it but instead went with an LCP. The LCP has impressed me with its overall better fit and polish as well as reliability; I’m glad that I got it.

As for the P3AT, it worked fine but the LCP was slightly more comfortable to shoot; however, if the P3AT had been a hard chromed model I’d have kept it. P3AT or LCP really depends on what suits you best, don’t get tied up in the name or the dollars, get what works for you.

Considering the LCP is a part for part copy of the P3AT, even down to most of the part#'s, You won't find much difference between the two. Search KTOG for LCP & P3AT parts diagrams (or P3AT vs LCP) and look for yourself.

I have seen used P3AT's for $190 - $225 lately. New in parkerized is $266 delivered from Bud's.

On function, worst case scenario polish the feed ramp a bit (easy to do) and you will be fine.

As for carry, I have the P3AT, PF-9, and Glock 26 that I rotate through depending on weather and dress requirements. All three serve their purpose well and function fine. Obviously, for deep concealment or comfort, the smaller gun wins out hands down.

Guest steve24

I've got a parkerized P3AT that I've had for a few years. It did have a FTE problem at first but after a trip back to Keltec, it's been flawless ever since. I carry it in a Desantis Nemesis holster in my front pocket and sometimes forget it's there!

I bought a P3AT from someone here a while back and really like it. I had some FTE issues at first and discovered the "franken bolt" was loose. 1/4 turn fixed it. It's also got a cut down Hogue slip-on grip which makes it much more comfortable in my hand.

As stated, it's neither fun to shoot nor especially accurate, but I have other guns that are. I'm "minute of paper plate" accurate while shooting quickly at 15 yds or less. That's good enough for me. It's effectively invisible in a pocket holster and serves it's purpose perfectly.

.380 ammo isn't hard to find anymore, though prices are a little high. Walmart regularly has WWB and Rem UMC on the shelf.

FWIW... the P3AT, LCP, and TCP are functionally the same. They're all copies of the P3AT mechanism. The LCP is the "prettiest" of the bunch.

I've got an early P3AT. It still hates weak ammo like Winchester white box or the Remington UMC 'target' ammo. But it works very well with a hotter load. When I carry it, I have it loaded with Remington Golden Sabers.

The little Keltec makes a great pocket gun. It is NOT fun to shoot. It stings the hand a bit, the trigger is terrible, and the sights are worthless. But then, I have yet to find any little pistol 'fun to shoot'. And the Keltec works, and is small enough to carry when you are only wearing shorts and a t-shirt. It does what it's supposed to do.

Thanks for the input guys. It's good to hear positive reports on a made in USA pistol. I called my cousin, who owns a gun store in Calhoun, and she has one in stock, so I'm going to go pick one up tomorrow. I'll be back with a range report soon I hope!

Thanks, gunsablazin

My first gen P3AT, bought NIB years ago, was never reliable. I tried fixing the problems, myself, but when the hammer spring broke I finally sent it back. I had owned it for probably five years or so at that point but hadn't shot it much until I got my HCP so I hadn't realized, early on, how many problems it had. Kel Tec, without question, built me a new, second gen gun on my old frame. In fact, as far as I can tell from the work order they sent back with it, the frame is the only thing they didn't replace. It has been 100% with nary a hiccup since. When I sent it back, I was about 95% sure I'd trade it when it came back to me. Since it was already technically a 'used' gun, though, I decided to try it out and at least give it a final chance. Now I love the little thing and it isn't going anywhere.

It is now obvious to me that I got a total lemon. Kel Tec made it right, though and I don't think such 'lemons' are anywhere near as common as they might have been with the early (especially the early first gen) P3ATs. Be aware, however, that Kel Tec has recently announced that they will be honoring their warranty only for the original owner of their products. That has been their policy all along but in practice they have extended warranty coverage even to those who bought their products used. Just something to consider if you are weighing buying a used gun against buying a new one.

Got my P3AT on Saturday, took it out and ran 90 rds through it on Sunday. It's not a bad little pistol at all,it had no malfunctions, and I had four different brands of ammo to try. I wouldn't call it a fun gun to shoot, but it's not painful, it's accurate enough for its intended purpose and it works. I shot mostly at 7yds, but could keep the hits COM easily out at 15yds. I would say it's a bargain in a good carry pistol.

I got my P-32 back when .380 ammo was so hard to come by. It continued to be cheaper to shoot it for years. It seems like now I find .380 more often and cheaper than I do .32 ammo. I've considered selling/trading several times, but the P-32 didn't take long to break in and had been utterly reliable ever since. What makes me even more wary about trading is the absolutely abysmal extraction problems I had with a TCP.

Guest The Highlander

Wifey and I have a couple of P32's that are functional after a break-in of around 50 rounds. I am used to shooting a Glock, so I caused problems trying to ride the reset like a Glock. Doesn't work on a Keltec! Wifey also has an LCP, and we both like it better than the Keltecs. However, her favorite is her LC9. I'd have to go that route too if I were looking for a smallish gun. I have the P32 for true pocket carry, and an EMP 9mm for a small gun. The LC9 would fit in between those pretty well. Heck, I think I'm just trying to justify buying another gun!