What's up with Frontier Firearms

Guest TresOsos

Guest TresOsos

Not sure this is the right place please move if need be.

When they were in their old location they always seemed to have a really good varity and selection of handguns and rifles. I always enjoyed stopping in to browse when I was up that way. The last couple of times I've stopped in the selection of firearms was pretty sparse. They had this huge stack of ammo cans but the firearms inventory has really suffered.

Are they making enough off of the range now that selling guns is secondary or did they stretch themselves so thin they can't afford the inventory they had before.

Also they have some competition coming as Coal Creek Armory looks like they are opening and store near them.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd imagine they are making quite a bit from their range and classes. I don't know if that's the reason they're slacking on the guns. I did notice the new CCA "outpost" not even a mile from Frontier. I can't imagine that crappy old building being on par with Frontier's new building, but you never know.

Never been to Frontier. Heard a lot of complaints and read some bad reviews online. That makes me not want to make a special trip out there.

If i ever am going that way anyway,then I'll probably stop.

The shop is nothing special. They do have a fair selection of accessories. The range, however, is probably one of the best I've been to. It's my go-to range.

The staff he had at the old shop were really good guys. Havent been to the new shop. A lot of the locals dont like him because of his political position. Ive never had any dealings with the owner

I like the staff, especially one younger guy that came from the old shop ( gotee). I think his name is Eric. I too was disappointed in their stock the past few times. They do have a nice range. It's worth a atop of you're in the neighborhood, but I wouldn't drive a long way unless you're lookin to use the range.

They were mad cause he was pushing to make a boat ramp in the city limits a pay ramp. Thats prob where all the trashing came from. I dont have a dog in that race if hes got a gun i want at a fair price im gonna buy it from him. Like i said his staff were really nice guys i bought a FNP 9 and a CZ 75b from him at the old shop

Guest TresOsos
Not that I care but is the stock low in general or just around weekends? They do Knoxville shows (which are constant) so I assume maybe they're sometimes packing up for others as well.

Not sure I'm the one to give a good answer but I generally stop by in the afternoons during the week (driving back from K'ville or Oak Ridge). IMHO overall stock in low from what it use to be.

As other have said the satff has always been friendly.

Not that I care but is the stock low in general or just around weekends? They do Knoxville shows (which are constant) so I assume maybe they're sometimes packing up for others as well.

They told me they quit going to gun shows because it decreased the weekend shop sales too much. That's been about a year ago, so they may have started back again, I don't know

It's worth a trip to use that awesome range...just remember full metal jacket only. I thought they had a good selection of guns but that was 6 mos ago.

Yeah I should clarify, they have a good amount of guns, just not quite the variety they used too. For the record they have about 2.5x the amount of guns that Coal Creek has.

The "supposed" owner had some pretty harsh words for some on this forum a while back. They were very nice to me several years ago when I stopped in there, even bought a gun from them. The complaints started after they moved to new location I think. I think most of his post have been changed to nevermind

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/43554-dear-gunnys-indoor-shooting-range-6.html

The "supposed" owner had some pretty harsh words for some on this forum a while back. They were very nice to me several years ago when I stopped in there, even bought a gun from them. The complaints started after they moved to new location I think. I think most of his post have been changed to nevermind

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/43554-dear-gunnys-indoor-shooting-range-6.html

Yeah I was a party to that thread, no real proof who was posting. Could have been the owner on a bad day. I have never experience anything similar inside the store. I treat it as water under the bridge and try not to be so sensitive. I boycotted them for a short time but decided it was kind of petty.

Guest TresOsos
Yeah I should clarify, they have a good amount of guns, just not quite the variety they used too. For the record they have about 2.5x the amount of guns that Coal Creek has.

Then CCA must have close to nothing in pyshical inventory. I was in FF this last Monday afternoon and if they had 50 guns total, other than their range rentals, I'd be surprised. The Outdoor Junction in Cookeville @ Exit 290 had to have had at least 10 times the inventory in stock as FF. I guess I'm use to going into places around Mid-Tenn and seeing lots of inventory in the cases and in the racks.

Guest tngw1500se

Every time I've been there, they had a good selection and they've been great to deal with. Really made me feel welcome and that they wanted my business. I highly recomend them.

last time i went in there seemed bothered when i asked to see a gun. i am young but i was planning on buying one i had the cash on me but the were a$$holes when i was asking questions. so i just walked out.

last time i went in there seemed bothered when i asked to see a gun. i am young but i was planning on buying one i had the cash on me but the were a$$holes when i was asking questions. so i just walked out.

I got this reaction from most storefront type shops I use to go to so I just stopped dealing with any of them. Seems most

at shows are a little more laid back. But I guess everyones experiences differ from shop and employees.

My recent experience was right the opposite on my last visit. Soon as me and my wife walked in we were greeted and the guy at the counter asked if there was something in particular I was looking for...told him what I wanted and he got it right out.

They even let me see a few while waiting on the background check. Your results vary I guess, but I dont really see your age having anything to do with it, as I am only 24

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

I bought my first AR from them years ago. The owner was very helpful even showing me his own personal AR. I went in there many times with great results. I've never shot on their new range but would like to one day. It's just hard for me to pass up ORSA and pay more to shoot at Frontier. The last time I visited FF the staff was more than friendly. Almost felt bad I didn't buy anything that day.

I see a lot of threads like this. Dealing with the public can be very hard. The next time you go into a store just listen to the BS coming from potential customers. Most don't ask questions they want to tell everyone what they know. Hats off to the sales people for having the patients to listen. Everyone that's worked in sales for any length of time has had a bad day. The great thing is....if ya don't like store A move on to store B. Out of all the businesses I've been in only one has treated me bad. Been in a bunch of stores that were so busy I couldn't get help. Hard to blame the store for that. I'm sure all these places would like to have one more employee than they need just to cover the real busy days.

I've thought their inventory was much lower at the new location myself. Didn't know if it was my imagination or maybe the larger store made the inventory look smaller. I've had no luck buying guns there. I think at one time they had a "low price guarantee" but they would not beat the price I had on a pistol at Coal Creek so Coal Creek got the business. I've caught some things on sale at Coal Creek and even been handed some 10% off coupons at a local NRA dinner. My experience with the sales staff at Coal Creek has also been great. I have not shot on the range at Frontier but a friend has and I understand there is no air conditioning. Coal Creek could use to do a little maintenance on their range but at least it's not 110 degrees in there.

I've thought their inventory was much lower at the new location myself. Didn't know if it was my imagination or maybe the larger store made the inventory look smaller. I've had no luck buying guns there. I think at one time they had a "low price guarantee" but they would not beat the price I had on a pistol at Coal Creek so Coal Creek got the business. I've caught some things on sale at Coal Creek and even been handed some 10% off coupons at a local NRA dinner. My experience with the sales staff at Coal Creek has also been great. I have not shot on the range at Frontier but a friend has and I understand there is no air conditioning. Coal Creek could use to do a little maintenance on their range but at least it's not 110 degrees in there.

I think Frontier has a couple small AC units in their range, but it does get hot as hell in there.