.22LR Mousegun Experiment Latest

graycrait

According to .22LR the 60grn subsonic Aguilla seems to be the most "effective" handgun .22lr ammo out there. (see pic comparing the 60 grain with a 40 grain .22LR) I probably have some of everything from hyper to high velocity, to match standard velocity on down to Colibra and everything in between. I have an old shooting buddy who has been experimenting with S&W 317's and then I ran across the Brass Fetcher website. I understand about barrel lengths and twist rates for .22lr stabilization.

In addition my old buddy has two Beretta Bobcats, one of which I sold him. One is a newer parkerized version and the one I sold him is the blued wood gripped version. Both of these guns are marginally reliable and picky about ammo. But they are unique in one aspect vs other .22lr mouseguns in that they are tip ups. You load the barrel, then insert the mag. This requires almost no effort for arthrtic and or damaged hands. Recoil is minimal and you can fire them pretty fast on target at self defense ranges.

The other day I picked up two functional but very used Taurus PT 22 clones of the Bobcat. I think I can monkey around with the pair of coiled recoil springs that control the slide through two levers that I may be able to get one or both of the PT 22s to reliably cycle 60 grain Aguilla subsonics. If that works then the PT22s may prove to be useful tools with a marginally more effective self defense close range .22lr round. I am well aware of the PT22 and its somewhat checkered reputation including a story a local county deputy told me that while he was shooting one the slide came off, whizzing by his ear, with him eerily aiming down the empty barrel of the little Taurus.

2PT22s60grnvs40grn.jpg

Edited by graycrait
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I’ve found the PT-22 to work well with standard velocity .22 LR but be pretty darn picky about some of the higher performance .22LR. Mine will not work with Remington Viper’s at all. It also has to be kept clean and lubricated, if it’s set up for a while a shot of Rem-Oil or the like is in order.

Guest The Highlander

Wifey had a Bobcat years ago. One of the gold inlaid ones. It was pretty, somewhat finicky about ammo though. Don't remember what it liked, it got sold and the money went on her Glock 26. The tip-up barrel is a great feature for arthritic hands as someone mentioned. Beretta used to make, maybe still does, a .380 tip up as well.

• 10 months later...
Guest Vikingsoneday

I have the steel Taurus PT-22 and I have had no trouble with it. I shoot Federal bulk and have had maybe 1 FTE. It is my favorite .22 because with it being a mouse gun, it gives a nice kick vs. my Buckmark or 10/22.

These little guns are 100% reliable with the SSS ammo. The shorter case makes sticky extraction a thing of the past.

I have chronographed them out of my Taurus PLY22 and they run right at 700 fps. And with that velocity the 60 grain bullets will penetrate 8+ inches in gelatin.

My average was withing 10fps of the one in this video.

It is tossed into the car as the last ditch gun.

Dolomite

The PLY22 by Taurus is a reliable easy to shoot pistol but it is a bit thick in the grip, which makes it easy to shoot. When shooting the 60 grain SSS in the PLY22 I called the PLY22 the "Lil Thumper."

The Taurus PT22 didn't make it, the frame split shooting one day. I'm trading an old S&W 4" M&P .38Spl revolver for the Beretta Bobcat .22LR my 87yr old shooting buddy talked me out of last year. He got my PLY22 also:)

These little guns are 100% reliable with the SSS ammo. The shorter case makes sticky extraction a thing of the past.

I have chronographed them out of my Taurus PLY22 and they run right at 700 fps. And with that velocity the 60 grain bullets will penetrate 8+ inches in gelatin.

My average was withing 10fps of the one in this video.

It is tossed into the car as the last ditch gun.

Dolomite

Not to mention that bullet in the video did some nice 'end over end' tumbling.

I was shooting at steel at 100 yards with mine. I was hitting about 2 times in 10 but 2 times is enough to hurt you. And because the bullet is starting out so slow and is so heavy it likely is still within 150fps at 100 yards. Still enough there to ruin your day.

Dolomite

If you find yourself in a situation where you really need to exchange fire with someone at 100 and all you have is this little mousegun, you should really reconsider your extra curricular activities.

I'm glad to here some good comments on these little pistols. My wife has a hard time operating handguns and I found that the Walther P-22 was a pistol she could operate effectively. It's nice to know she has another choice.

The problem with the P22 is the pot metal slide. They have a very short lifespan when used even a moderate amount. They also have other issues. I have heard of quite a few who loose their replaceable front sight because they snap in place. The same thing with the Sig Mosquito. Their engineers told me that the expected lifespan of the Mosquito with proper mantanence is 10K-15K rounds which is less than 6 months to me. I considered the new M&P 22 pistol but the S&W engineers said the gun will last "forever". I told them nothing lasts forever and they said their aluminum gun will. I also don't like the pencil thin barrels on most of the 22's.

At least the Taurus and the Beretta has a steel slide.

I practice shooting everything I own at every distance I can. Anyone who has seen me at Norris has probably seen me trying to hit steel or targets at 200 yards with a 22 pistol or rifle. I just don't want to get caught short if I ever find myself needing to take a longer shot with a less than ideal weapon. How many people do you know that shoot clays at 100 yards with their 1911? I do nearly every time I am at Norris.

Dolomite

I'm glad to here some good comments on these little pistols. My wife has a hard time operating handguns and I found that the Walther P-22 was a pistol she could operate effectively. It's nice to know she has another choice.

I had the Walther P-22 for my wife also and she has Carpal Tunnel so operating the slide was almost impossible for her on most guns including the P-22. I sold her Walther and got her the Beretta Tomcat (same as the Bobcat only in .32) and she loves it. Plus its a larger round for better stopping power. She loves the tilt up barrel and easy mag release. I would definately buy the Beretta over the Taurus. I had the slide come off a Taurus while firing one day and it left a hell of a bruise on my chin.

Edited by Mykltn

The P22 is not a bad gun, just not for me. With my rates of shooting it would likely fall apart within 6 months. I can't imagine pot metal would hold up to hundreds of rounds a week for very long. I shoot about 1,000 22 a week so any 22 I have is going to have to be built like a tank. That is why I have my Rugers, they will last a lifetime.

I would like to find a modern design with DA/SA that has a steel slide.

Dolomite