Need Help With Camping Equipment

Guest Victor9er

Guest bkelm18
Kelty has some Target (the store) only tents...based on reviews they aren't as high quality as the "normal" Kelty but they are way above the normal department store tent. I got a 4 person Kelty tent for $59. The only difference in quality is it weighs a little more as the poles aren't as light as the higher end Kelty...other than that, same tent.

I'm a huge Kelty fan. I've got 3 of their backpacks and have used lot of their other equipment. Great value. Their stuff is relatively cheaper priced but they are quality gear. I don't have any experience with the Target tents, but if they say Kelty on them, that's good enough in my book.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe this goes without saying, but don't forget some sort of ground cloth to go under your tent. I just use one of the small cheap tarps from Wally's. This helps to keep the bottom of your tent dry and gives an extra layer of material between you and the ground. Maybe not required for all tents but definitely helps.

Good point, and one that's very important. Also be sure not to leave any of the cloth exposed so that it won't channel water under your tent if it rains.

I am an Eagle Scout, and I went all the way through with a dome tent from Wal-Mart. I am not saying the other brands are not worth it, I just mean to say that you don't have to spend that much money if you do not want. Mine served me just fine until a few years ago, and one of the fiberglass poles finally split. It cost less than $40, so I think I got my money out it with over ten years of use.

I do believe in spending more on a bag if you plan to do much winter camping. I have a 0 degree bag from Slumberjack that has never let me down. I have been in single digits and stayed nice and toasting. The keys to bags are knowing how to take care of them and knowing how to use them. Spend a little time looking into that once you get a nice bag.

My backpack is also not very expensive, and I don't remember the brand. I think Kelty. Either way, it is an external polymer frame. It is fairly light and has spent many miles on my back. I would recomend an external frame in this area when a lot of backpacking is done in the summer. The external frame will help with air circulation between the pack and your back. However, this is probably a few years down the road if you are in Cubs now.

Another thing you did not mention is clothing material. More important than the brand is that you understand what material is used to make the clothes. Cotton is generally not your friend when camping. It will not wick moisture in the summer, and it will not keep you warm when wet in the winter. Poly blends are good.

Whatever you do, just don't fall into the trap of going and buying a ton of stuff if you are not completely sure your son is going to stick with it for a while. Good luck it all, and I hope he does well with it. Don't forget the toilet paper :P

I'll second this.

I spent my days in scouts using an el cheapo tent and cot from the Brainerd Army Store. My sleeping bag was a hand-me-down that I still have to this day.

Most of my troop bought their stuff from the same place. Go check them out!

9er, where do you guys meet? My son and I will be heading to Skymont on the 21st.

As strickj said, the army store has some cool stuff. If you have never been camping, having a dry run in the back yard some weekend is very helpful. The last thing you want is to be trying to figure out which pole goes in which loop as the sun is setting. And every time you have to run back to the house or garage for another item, add it to the list.

Honestly though, your kid will have a great time regardless of what you do or don't pack.

Guest Victor9er

Just wanted to thank everyone again for all the help! Putting my list together now and starting to gather up my items that we'll be needing.

9er, where do you guys meet? My son and I will be heading to Skymont on the 21st.

As strickj said, the army store has some cool stuff. If you have never been camping, having a dry run in the back yard some weekend is very helpful. The last thing you want is to be trying to figure out which pole goes in which loop as the sun is setting. And every time you have to run back to the house or garage for another item, add it to the list.

Honestly though, your kid will have a great time regardless of what you do or don't pack.

We meet at Trinity Lutheran in Hixson, and we go up on the 21st also. Yeah the whole putting up the tent in the dark thing doesn't sound like a lot of fun. I may settle for a Coleman tent for now, they have an easy set-up version with the poles already attached. I don't think I'm ready to spend that much money on a Kelty right now... my son is only 6, I'll wait to make sure he's going to stick with it before I drop that much on a tent that we might never use again.

Edited by Victor9er

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but once you get your new tent, go ahead and set it up in your yard one day with it bright and sunny. This helps you to know how to do it, but also gives it a chance to air out. I also like to use this time to treat with some type of sealant. You can use a seam sealant, but I've had good luck with just using Scotch Guard or Camp Dry in spray cans. It should not need it, but I like to do just to be safe. It is quick and cheap insurance.

i like to keep it simple when car camping.

Tent, some blankets(you don't need sleeping bags right now),pillows, something to put on the floor of the tent to keep you off the ground ( moving blanket is what I use.) Some foam if you can find any. Enough food for you and your kid. ( you don't have to feed the pack) Meals are typically done as a group, someone will have a grill or coleman stove and they will cook your stuff or let you do it. One change of clothes and shoes. I dunno about anyone else but I don't change clothes on an over night or two night campout unless they get wet. Kids can wear the same stuff for days on end and they are happy to do so. Flashlight is a good idea but the kid will want to use it as a toy so you may want two. You don't need backpacks or a compass. You donn't need a buttload of water. Cubs have to camp at places with water and toilets. TP is good just in case (I always have a roll on the truck but have never used it on a cub scout campout). Paper plates and some utensils. If he sticks with scouting get a surplus mess kit and utensil set.

You really don't need to go overboard for a campout like this, keep it simple.

PS: meant to mention, he does not need his scout uniform. In the cub campouts I have been on no one wears them. They are costly and don't need the abuse.

Walmart is your friend in Cub Scouts. They don't do a lot of camping. Save the money for the better stuff for Boy Scouts.That's when it starts becoming more expensive. Scoutdirect.com is the bomb with their half price ALPS gear, which is quality stuff. But again, you don't need that right now. Go for comfort. Your going to be doing mostly Dump Camping and will always have your care nearby. For temperatures in the fall you can probably get away with a 30 degree sleeping bag. If you feel it's not going to be enough, pack along a couple of blankets. Get a dome tent big enough to handle a queen size mattress. If you feel that this is something the family might do later on for weekends, go for a tent that will handle a couple of queen sized air mattresses. The Mrs. will appreciate it! :) One thing I highly recommend is some headband lights. Walmart sells the Energizer brand for $5. They are handy as hell and all the flashlight you need. A lantern might be nice. With kids I recommend a battery operated one for the tent. But it really won't be necessary. Obviously, a air mattress is a great luxury, that I recommend for Dump Camping. The famous Walmart Blue Pad will for for Boy Scouts. In addition to the air mattress, you will need something to blow it up with. Coleman makes a 4 D-Cell Battery pump that is VERY handy! Trust me, when I say you don't blow a queen sized air mattress with your own lung power. TRUST ME ON THIS!!! Before you go buy a stove, check with other parents and see if you really need one. Two or three stoves is all you really need for a medium sized pack. That will save you about $50 or so right off the bat. A lantern is not really needed. I doubt board games will be necessary. Don't forget the TP, warm clothes or two chairs.

And as always, a man is not complete without a pocketknife. IT will come in handy.

I may settle for a Coleman tent for now, they have an easy set-up version with the poles already attached. I don't think I'm ready to spend that much money on a Kelty right now... my son is only 6, I'll wait to make sure he's going to stick with it before I drop that much on a tent that we might never use again.

I have a few tents (from outfitter to small dome), but the one I use most often is a cheapy from Walmart. I got it over 15 years ago, and it still functions great. That Coleman should last a very long time if you make sure it's dry and aired it out before you store it.