Looking to Buy.....kimber solo......springfield emp...

HOLEPUNCHER

Okay, I am ready to buy something new. Criteria: 9mm, due to cost of practicing. Want a good dependable gun that will last. Idea being spend the money and be content. (I know it may not work). Looking at Kimber solo's and Springfield EMP's. Anyone have any experience with either of the two or any other suggestions. Want something that I can carry concealed. Are these guns worth the cost?

Yes I have a EMP the most trustworthy gun I have ever owned. I have literally had almost all of them. Fit and finish is amazing. I would have Springfield over Kimber since they invented the first true short action 1911. Extremely accurate, no recoil, extremely light weight. The dehorning treatment is amazing on your skin too LOL I put on some custom engraved grips on mine and it's great! Both guns are very similar but I have always trusted the Springfield for all my 1911's.

Outside-of-the-"biz"-personal-opinion:

Springfield hands down. The EMP has been proven over the years since it's release to be extremely well built. Very accurate for a 3" 1911. The solo... well.. I don't honestly trust Kimber's durability. I know the pistol is brand new and has alot of hype behind it, but out of the several we've actually received two had to go back with issues. Like I said though, new pistol design for them and all, bugs may just not be worked out all the way yet.

OK, back up the bus and define the mission here, is this a DCW or simply something cool to add to the collection. I can relate to either option because learning how new gun's work is a good thing to know. Now, as to like's and dislike's, I'm not to keen on Kimber's for pretty much the same reason's as Metalhead. A compact 9x19 in a 1911 platform though is nice, one of the best prstol's I ever had was a Colt Series 70 Gov't Model in 9x19 that ran like a Swiss Watch. I'm going to throw out three other option's that should also be considered: GLock 26, SIG P-225 (if you can find a used one) or a Ruger Lc9. The G-26 just plain work's, so does the P-225 and I'm really liking the Lc9, all of them are built to hold up to constant use.

You can practice all day everyday HOLEPUNCHER. Its a 9mm not a .45 in 3" which can "beat ya up" a little. Also the 9mm is very cheap compared to other calibers. I have had both and the EMP with some good ammo LE Hydra Shock Tacticals, Hornady TAP or Critical, Winchester Ranger Talon, or my FAVORITE RBCD Fragmenting Ultra High Velocity rounds. 2110 ft per second with massive damage and $39.00 for a box of 20 LOL. The EMP and the ammo just works. If you want reliability and something that can "look cool" +1 EMP. Mine has custom Esmeralda hand engraved Iron Cross grips which are nice!

Also Kahr PM9's are great! A little pricey but a sweet pocket 9mm. Keltec PF9 "New Models" CHEAP GUN but it works EVERY TIME which is all that matters!!

aefc96bb-09ff-b9cc.jpg

aefc96bb-0abd-a930.jpg

aefc96bb-0a20-8b54.jpg

Edited by k9wh91984

As previously posted:

EMP in 9mm is my daily carry. Form follows function: it is a beautiful gun, very well made, with tight tolerances. Yes, have the feedramp polished, shiny and smooth. It's integral to the barrel and kind of steep -- you don't want hollow points hanging up on it because of boogers of some sort. The gun when brand new is SO TIGHT that you will want to put about 200 rounds through it to loosen it up. After that, it runs like a Rolex watch. It has a bushingless 'bull' barrel, and is very accurate. You can get all sorts of snazzy grips for it, but I just love the looks of the SA crossed-cannon logo grips in cocobolo. Did I mention it's beautiful??

I don't have either one but would go for the EMP. Several of the Solo reviews I've read were somewhat mixed. It sounds like the Solo is very picky on ammo. See the link below for the details on what Kimber says. It's on the right side of the page. What it says to me is that it's tuned to run on SD ammo, range ammo may not work.

Kimber America | Solo 9 mm Pistols

Wow. I am really glad my 92fs Beretta does not have Kimber's limitations. I would go broke buying ammo for the range. I know, off topic a bit, but just pointing out with Kimber you do not seem to get what you pay for.

I've owned both. Last March I got the Solo. It FTE from the start. The first return resulted in a new barrel. The FTE continued then the slide and barrel started to peen metal. The slide wouldn't stay back and the magazine fell apart. Kimber replaced the gun. I looked at the new one and traded it for an EMP.

Kimber's ammo list has changed significantly. It's now all high end compared to when I owned one.

The EMP? 794 rounds to date. It eats any ammo, has a full grip, and I love it.

I haven't shot the Solo yet. My Kimber Ultra CDP II has been a dependable pistol for the few years I've had it. I recently bought an EMP 40 and it's been a great pistol. It's worked well with any ammo I've put in it. While the 40 is heavier than the 9mm, the EMP is comfortable to carry and shoot. None of my pistols from Springfield has needed it, but SA has excellent customer service.

I have the EMP 40 and it's a tac driver use it with a galco kingtuk every day it's like it's not even there also added crimson trace lazer grips for a compact 1911 to do that you will need to bring it to a gunsmith he will have to shorten the right safety lever and cut a little out of the mag release on the grip and trim the left side of grip so the safety does not hit the grip hope this helps

Guest The Highlander

EMP 9mm is almost the perfect carry gun. I love mine. I have g10 grips on it, and I'd like to have some cosmetic stuff done, but I can't bear to part with it. The only problems I've had are firing left-handed. My right thumb tends to impinge on the takedown pin and can tie up the pistol if I don't watch my grip. Not a problem of the EMP, I do it with all 1911's.

Mine is quite accurate, and in size is very close to a S&W Centennial, except in weight of course. Actually the .38's cylinder makes it wider. The EMP has better grips, better ergonomics, better trigger, better sights, twice the ammo payload.

I own three Kimbers that are all flawless, but also all some of the original guns the built. No experience with the new stuff whatsoever. But I don't recommend the Solo for range use because of the ammo limitations built into it. For carry, I'd still go with the EMP, but the Solo might work too. For range, neither would be my first choice.

Okay, I am ready to buy something new. Criteria: 9mm, due to cost of practicing. Want a good dependable gun that will last. Idea being spend the money and be content. (I know it may not work). Looking at Kimber solo's and Springfield EMP's. Anyone have any experience with either of the two or any other suggestions. Want something that I can carry concealed. Are these guns worth the cost?

Last spring I was going to give a Florida dealer a blank check for the Kimber Solo he had for display only. Started to read the horror stories and returned to Michigan. Had a chance to try to shoot (and I mean "try") a Solo at a police range in west Michigan. Could not get it to run. What a piece of crap. I was so disgusted with Kimber I traded off my full size Kimber custom shop .45 (which had been flawless) for a Smith ES 45.

Last August I bought a EMP 9mm. If there is a better 9mm out there, I have yet to find it. I fulfills my love affair with 1911 formats and is just about perfect. I have some neat 9mms (LC9/which really works, Sig 239 9mm. Sig 228 9mm. Walther P38/1968 era which is very classey, a Glock 19 which has never failed me, and finally a Rohrbaugh R9s which is like a piece of jewlery) however, the EMP 9mm is just about at the top of the list.

Just some thoughts,

Trooper Joe

• 3 months later...
Guest NashvegasMatt

Everytime I see the solo at the franklin GS, I pick it up.... look at it, and wonder why. It make no sense to me, and feels cheap and clunky. Lock the slide back and give it a jiggle.....seriously, too many loose things going on in there.....

ps. It hurts me b/c I'm a 1911 guy true and true.