ruger sp101

bayouvol

Does anyone actually carry the Ruger sp101 as the EDC? I am looking to trade my Glock 27 for one and did not know if the weight would be an issue. I know I am giving up some rounds but I don't frequent bad areas of town and I have young children in the house so I like the heavier trigger pull. I also do not shoot enough to stay up on my stoppage drills. Would like some info before I trade though on how good a carry gun the Ruger is.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FiddleDog

The SP101 is regarded by many to be the most overbuilt 357 on the market...That's a good thing. It is tough as nails and damn near bomb-proof. They've got a big following, and not without reason. I would give them 3 thumbs up if I had an extra hand.

Guest Sgt. Joe

For me my SP-101 has that "I'm gonna last forever" feel to it.

I have the hammerless model and I do not carry it simply because of the capacity. I do however carry it as a BUG from time to time and there are times that I keep it as a quick access gun in my little truck which is very limited in space to conceal anything. It is also within arms reach as I type.

As for your question about carry-ability, if I did not live where I do and felt that I needed the additional round capacity I would not hesitate to carry the SP. I truly do love that weapon and as I said it just has that High-quality feel to it. It is a long way from an Air-weight but I dont feel like the overall weight would be a carry issue, the weight also makes it much easier for me to shoot than I can a lighter comparable weapon. If you are comfortable with the capacity (speed loaders are inexpensive) I would say go for it.

I like mine so much that another one with a hammer for SA shooting is way up there on next years list of must have just cuz stuff.:D

Edited by Sgt. Joe
Guest Sgt. Joe
The SP101 is regarded by many to be the most overbuilt 357 on the market...That's a good thing. It is tough as nails and damn near bomb-proof. They've got a big following, and not without reason. I would give them 3 thumbs up if I had an extra hand.

Now that three thumbs stuff is funny,:stunned: it also echos my thoughts. When I think about it, I'd bet the thing would indeed survive a bomb blast and be ready willing and able to shoot back afterward.:D

Edited by Sgt. Joe

Dolomite made a holster for me for my SP101 and I don't hesitate to carry it. Don't feel outgunned with it. It shoots well and at least on the range I can hit with it. Have not been in a gun fight so I dunno about that, and I hope I never know about that.

I don't find it too heavy to carry either. Once you wear it for a while it will become a part of you just like any other carry gun should.

Guest msparks

The SP101 was one of my first handguns, back in 1992. I still have it and carry occasionally. I don't find the weight that bothersome compared to my Glock 26 which is what I EDC now.

I use a Don Hume IWB holster and it works fine.

As far as capacity goes, well 5 rounds of .357 vs 10 rounds of 9mm you decide!

Though be warned, full house loads are a "bear" to shoot. I have done it plenty of times and it handles them well for such a small gun, but they are "snappy" to say the least.

Good luck on your decision, I wouldn't feel under gunned at all with my SP101.

PS. BTW, have you looked at a MIC holster for your Glock? Even if you don't carry it with this type of holster it sure makes a wonderful "Trigger Guard" to prevent ND.

I keep one on both my Glock and XD when it's not in the Holster (night stand duty or in my gun safe)

Dolomite made a holster for me for my SP101 and I don't hesitate to carry it. Don't feel outgunned with it. It shoots well and at least on the range I can hit with it. Have not been in a gun fight so I dunno about that, and I hope I never know about that.

I don't find it too heavy to carry either. Once you wear it for a while it will become a part of you just like any other carry gun should.

it's not how many times you can shoot your gun. it's being able to hit what you're shooting at before it shoots back.

@ bayouvol -- I EDC an SP101. I only weigh 140 and the weight is no problem. It feels lightest when you put it in an IWB holster that keeps it high and tight against your body. It'll probably take a little while for you to get used to it, no matter how you carry it. If you're anything like me, you'll come to find that extra heftiness a little reassuring.

Unless I am going into Nashville & Gamorrah [in which case I carry an XD] I carry an SP101 everyday.

The only thing I would tell you to do is get a speedloader or two and learn to use them. Unfortunately the SP isn't the most speedloader friendly pistol ever made, so practice with it.

Edited by Caster
Guest buck7997

I also own one and it is a great gun. I would recommend replacing the factory front sight with either xs or meprolight sights. And like 45 acp all you need is one round of 357 on target.

I use my SP as a second carry piece.I was carrying it full time till I started using my Aegis.They carry quite well depending on the type of holster used.there are a bunch of different makers for holsters,Crossbreed,Galco,Blackhawk,Tucker Gunleather.Finding a good holster is not a problem.everyone is correct on the saying built like a tank,they will handle full power loads with ease.i have carried a lot of different pistols in the last couple of years and the Ruger is a keeper.