New Trial for Christian-Newsome Murders

Sandman

Mike:________________

This immediate area of knox county north to the kentucky line was settled by the scots-irish and welch. Lots of the original "town fathers" came to knoxville as union carpetbaggers after the civil war. They came down here to make their fortune(s) in the manufacturing and sales business. East Tennesse names are evident; they are smith, jones, etc. They aint Bumgartner. They aint Rogero, ect.

I would sugguest to you that the "broad brush" euphanism was not in fact aimed at the "immigrant" producers. They are always welcome. It was, in fact aimed at the non producers, the the bureaucratic layabouts, and carpetbagger political operatives that the factors mentioned in the original post have clearly produced in knoxville and knox county politics.

I am in fact an "indigenous native" in as much as europeans can be "indigenous" (...as you would say; a "whitey"...) to this country. The fact is that you do not know me or are you in a place to provide any "policing of correctness in thought or deed" here on this forum. You dont know if "im down for the struggle with Al Sharpeton" or a member of the KKK. You can make guesses and have opinons; but that is exactly what they are --- guesses and opinions.

We (...you, me, them....) were all immigrants at some time, and i am absolutely sure we (...the collective we...) have ancestors that we aint proud of that did some pretty heinous things. It's important to remember that i and you (...presumably...) didnt do 'em; the ancestors did. That means i (...nor you, for that matter...) have no need to apologize for or to be ashamed of ancestral actions. I believe i would tone down the "hyper-sensitivity" setting a bit and take a baby aspirin if i wuz you. That's what i intend to do. After all, its the Christmas season and it is the glory of man to overlook a fault.

leroy

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

near as I can tell you just said two different things. In one post you say the outsiders are the problem ,then in the next you say they came here to make their fortunes.

It doesn't matter really. "They" are here now and are very much part of the fabric of the community.

fwiw near as I can tell Bumgartner is of scottish origin.

I agree I have no authority to police this place, but when I read something that rubs me wrong I post about it.

maybe I am hyper sensitive about it, but the "you ain't from 'round here are ya" mind set grates on me.

I was just very suprised to read it from you after having read lots of your previous posts.

Merry Christmas

Mike:___________

I said that a secific type of outsider is the problem. Here is what i said:

They appear in jobs at the university and the surrounding areas, and they tend to bring their voting views and voting habits to the knoxville metro area (....not so much the county...). The knoxville city government is full of this (...take a look at the last names...); as well as some bureaucratic areas of the county government in areas like the court system. You couple the constant commings and goings of these "transient" folks with what i would term the " the outliers of society fringe" groups that inhabit the college scene; you get the mix (...and mess...) that we have in the Knox metro area.

You seem to be equating the "you aint from around here" thing with nativist unkindness and snobbery. That aint necessarily so. The latino community aint from around here and they are some of the most hard working folk ya can find. My next door neighbors "aint from around here" and they are delightful people who moved down to escape a cesspool called New York City. One of my best work buddies moved to knoxville from Dearborn Michigan and raised a family here. He still retains the michigan accent (...and abrupt lack of manners....); while being extremely productive. The list goes on and on. The fact is that you either are from around here or you aint. All that is ok if you are a producer and contributor. The fact is that each individual stands on his or her own specific merits, whether he or she is "from around here or not".

Thanks for the Christmas kindness. Here's sending one to you and your folks as well.

leroy

Edited by leroy

The original case boiled my blood when it was first publicized. The thought of a re-trial just boils it all over again. If you are re-tried and have a chance at walking away without a conviction, you should also have a chance at getting a heavier penalty than the first go-round. Whether a person wants to roll the dice should be up to the individual in question.

I am with Dolomite. Review the cases for potential judicial missteps before issuing court dates.

Finally, try them as a group. All involved are either guilty as a whole or not guilty for anything. No matter how little or how big a role any single individual played, any of them could have stopped it and ALL of them contributed to the result.

Justice for all or justice for none. God rest the victims souls and grant restraint to the victims families if those scumbags ever get out of prison.

Guest WyattEarp
The original case boiled my blood when it was first publicized. The thought of a re-trial just boils it all over again. If you are re-tried and have a chance at walking away without a conviction, you should also have a chance at getting a heavier penalty than the first go-round. Whether a person wants to roll the dice should be up to the individual in question.

I am with Dolomite. Review the cases for potential judicial missteps before issuing court dates.

Finally, try them as a group. All involved are either guilty as a whole or not guilty for anything. No matter how little or how big a role any single individual played, any of them could have stopped it and ALL of them contributed to the result.

Justice for all or justice for none. God rest the victims souls and grant restraint to the victims families if those scumbags ever get out of prison.

problem is, their lawyers will whine that they won't get a fair trial if they're tried together and the liberal crybabies will jump on that bandwagon quicker than a fly on a carcass. i can't imagine sitting through one trial, but to have to go through 4 would be horrifying....now the victims families have to sit through 4 more trials?

i couldnt bear the thought of these animals walking free if the prosecution screws it all up, and I couldn't sit through hearing the testimony and details again, 4 more times.

It’s surprising to me that a Judge could be high all the time, have drug ho’s running in and out of his chambers and everyone stood by and kept their mouths shut. They must do things differently in that Courthouse than most.

Baumgartner was well known as a drunk, even I knew that from years ago (had drunk lawyer friends) dunno how widespread his opiate habit was known, although this little story says that was no secret either:

Charleston - Huntington West Virginia News - Baumgartner's problems evident around courthouse

"Probably half the people walking around in this building could use treatment for alcohol or drugs anyway, so I would be very careful of throwing the first stone," said defense lawyer Bruce Poston."

- OS

so i am reading things that insinuate the populace would extract revenge if these people are somehow released.

Has this ever happened before other than an isolated incident or two?

Naah, not going to happen but nether will some of the other ideas in this thread.

This whole deal is far sideways that true justice will never be achieived.

But we still have our dreams

problem is, their lawyers will whine that they won't get a fair trial if they're tried together and the liberal crybabies will jump on that bandwagon quicker than a fly on a carcass. i can't imagine sitting through one trial, but to have to go through 4 would be horrifying....now the victims families have to sit through 4 more trials?

i couldnt bear the thought of these animals walking free if the prosecution screws it all up, and I couldn't sit through hearing the testimony and details again, 4 more times.

Change the venue to some other part of the state and then try them as a group.

Guest WyattEarp
Change the venue to some other part of the state and then try them as a group.

it has nothing to do with a change of venue or where the trial is held. It's a legal tactic by defense lawyers to try the cases separately, because when you get all 4 defendants in a courtroom, and the prosecutor starts playing them against each other during cross-examination, it usually kills any case the defense had. Jurors can look at the other 3 defendants reactions when 1 defendant is on the stand, and it's nearly impossible for a defense lawyer to direct all 4 of his clients keeping their emotions in check simulataneously, and that's why defense lawyers opt to have cases seperately. they can better manage one client at trial, far easier than they can 4 at the same time.

Guest WyattEarp
so i am reading things that insinuate the populace would extract revenge if these people are somehow released.

Has this ever happened before other than an isolated incident or two?

there's a very real chance these 4 get a much lighter sentence, instead of life or death penalty, they could get 20-50 years, and be paroled early and walking the streets in 15-25 years.

I haven't heard if they will pursue the Death Penalty again, but I hope the prosecution brings the house, the carjacking charges, the kidnapping, the pre-meditated murder, the rape, the assault, any charge they can, throw it at them, and I hope the D.A. says absolutely no deals or plea agreements, just go all in.

the previous testimony should be good still, there was no question with the legality of the defendants statements. they all need to go to Death Row.

I keep hearing that the trial may be moved to Memphis. That sure will be tough on the victims families.,

Glenn

Thats the problem The POS killers get all the considerations not the family. The local people here know far more details of what really happened . I'm sure alot of us knows "someone who know someone" The farther away the defense gets the happier they'll be. They don't care about the families hardship. Didn't one get off lighter last time with a Nashville jury ?

I just hope this doesn't push the parents over the edge mainly the Christians. You know the pressure has got to be unbelievable. Gary Christian may at one point just get completely fed up with this, just like all of us. I just can not imagine having to go thru something like this.

Just saw on the news Bungartner had a plea deal prior to investigation. They can't bring criminal charges against him now and he's on probation collecting his $4900 a month pension Talk about F**ked up I don't even want to look for the link to read about it. Unbelievable

Just saw on the news Bungartner had a plea deal prior to investigation. They can't bring criminal charges against him now and he's on probation collecting his $4900 a month pension Talk about F**ked up I don't even want to look for the link to read about it. Unbelievable

I wondered if this dirt bag would get any pension. If this true it needs to be challenged in court. If any other city or country employee lost their job for misconduct they wouldn’t get their pension. Who’s responsible for making a deal that allowed him to keep his pension?

I wondered if this dirt bag would get any pension. If this true it needs to be challenged in court. If any other city or country employee lost their job for misconduct they wouldn’t get their pension. Who’s responsible for making a deal that allowed him to keep his pension?

You ain't from around here are ya?

Read and weep ! it showed the new judge Blackwood having a melt down on the news.

I told you it was a cess pool up there

Baumgartner's plea and pension remain intact | wbir.com

Edited by laktrash