Federal Agents Demand Customer Lists From Mormon Food Storage Facility in TN

Try pleading the 5th or NOYB with the Census Bureau, they're relentless. Got one of the mid-decade long forms they send to select individuals. Takes about an hour to complete and they ask private questions. I refused to send it in. Finally they started calling me every other day and threatening to send someone out and I can go to jail under law for not complying. Each time I read them verbatim the constitutional requirement for the census, and told them I will not divulge any private information. A couple of months later this dude comes by my house and announces he's from the Census Bureau to collect the information I neglected to submit. Few times in my life I have become so livid. To make a long story short, I never talked to an individual the way I talked to him, then slammed the door in his face. Wife was scared and ran out to him and answered all the information she was aware of, to keep me out of jail I guess. I wasn't very happy about that but, had I went outside, I know I'd ended up in the polky.

As it turns out, I had the good fortune of being busy with an experiment last time the census taker came by: I'd melted some dry ice in a big tub in the back yard to see if I could give the cat a bath without getting him wet. (It didn't work, but it sure scared hell outta' the census guy and the mailman... and the Jehovah's Witnesses won't even come up the driveway any more!) :)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WyattEarp
Same as OS for me.
I get a FireFox message I've never seen before from that link.

"The page isn't redirecting properly

Firefox has detected that the server is redirecting the request for this address in a way that will never complete.

This problem can sometimes be caused by disabling or refusing to accept

cookies."

IE simply says "cannot display the webpage".

- OS

go into your firefox options/preferences, under the Advanced tab uncheck the box "warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page". click ok, clear your internet browser cache and temp files and history, and restart firefox. should work after that.

disable-firefox-35-redirect-alert.png

go into your firefox options/preferences, under the Advanced tab uncheck the box "warn me when websites try to redirect or reload the page". click ok, clear your internet browser cache and temp files and history, and restart firefox. should work after that.

disable-firefox-35-redirect-alert.png

Already unchecked. Seems the blog site was just overloaded at the time or something. Could be coding was in between being updated, hicups happen a lot to blogs, especially any with various live feeds on crowded shared servers. I wasn't only one to get error at the time, and it's fine now.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Having just completed a course with TEMA I can say that there is a legitimate reason why TEMA, FEMA, etc would like to know just how prepared the public (in general) is for an emergency...they don't need to know precisely what I have or how much of it nor am I going to give them the serial numbers of everything in my gun safe but if they want to know if I've made some preparations for an emergency I'm not going to have a problem telling them so. ;)

I was much more suspicious regarding the story about Feds investigating the Mormon food storage center. This, however, seems to be of pure intentions for the purpose of gathering information so that Emergency Management officials can develop disaster relief plans better. I guess the best source of information for disaster relief preparedness is to look at past events (Joplin tornado/Katrina/Andrew/Camille/SF earthquake/TN flooding) and the after action reviews conducted by Emergency Managment organizations that responded to such disasters. It sounds to me that the Dept of Health is conducting this survey for the purpose of justifying predparedness efforts; and as we know with government funding, it's hard to get money without doing a study to justify getting the money. Perhaps the manner in which they are carrying out the survey is a little suspect for some of us. I think it would be more cost effective to mail out surveys as opposed to spending man hours getting doors slammed in your face, but maybe they feel putting a face on it to make people more receptive and understanding is the reason they choose that course of action. I don't know, this one just doesn't get the spidey senses up when looking into it. If they came to my house I would probably invite them in to hear what the deal was. If there were any questions that made me uncomfortable answering then I would decline to answer them.

On the other hand, there was a story regarding the Mormon food storage facility on that website. If that story is true (it could be made up or exaggerated) then someone at the agency involved should be answering questions on that.

Guest mcgyver210
I was much more suspicious regarding the story about Feds investigating the Mormon food storage center. This, however, seems to be of pure intentions for the purpose of gathering information so that Emergency Management officials can develop disaster relief plans better. I guess the best source of information for disaster relief preparedness is to look at past events (Joplin tornado/Katrina/Andrew/Camille/SF earthquake/TN flooding) and the after action reviews conducted by Emergency Managment organizations that responded to such disasters. It sounds to me that the Dept of Health is conducting this survey for the purpose of justifying predparedness efforts; and as we know with government funding, it's hard to get money without doing a study to justify getting the money. Perhaps the manner in which they are carrying out the survey is a little suspect for some of us. I think it would be more cost effective to mail out surveys as opposed to spending man hours getting doors slammed in your face, but maybe they feel putting a face on it to make people more receptive and understanding is the reason they choose that course of action. I don't know, this one just doesn't get the spidey senses up when looking into it. If they came to my house I would probably invite them in to hear what the deal was. If there were any questions that made me uncomfortable answering then I would decline to answer them.

On the other hand, there was a story regarding the Mormon food storage facility on that website. If that story is true (it could be made up or exaggerated) then someone at the agency involved should be answering questions on that.

I get suspicious of anyone that has anything to do with Government now days since they are making it a routine to harass, intimidate etc etc normal law abiding Americans. American Freedom has died as long as they are aloud to continue their out-of-control ways.

I also didn't cooperate with their Census but my wife did unbeknownst to me.

I get suspicious of anyone that has anything to do with Government now days since they are making it a routine to harass, intimidate etc etc normal law abiding Americans. American Freedom has died as long as they are aloud to continue their out-of-control ways.

I also didn't cooperate with their Census but my wife did unbeknownst to me.

Isn't illegal to not comply? Granted said law may be unconstitutional but that never stopped them before....

Having just completed a course with TEMA I can say that there is a legitimate reason why TEMA, FEMA, etc would like to know just how prepared the public (in general) is for an emergency...they don't need to know precisely what I have or how much of it nor am I going to give them the serial numbers of everything in my gun safe but if they want to know if I've made some preparations for an emergency I'm not going to have a problem telling them so. :)

I am glad you are satisfied that the .gov is not up to bad intentions. What exactly did they teach you in this TEMA course?

Myself I am not so trusting.

The only reason I can figure that anyone wants to know what I have prepared for is so they can can count on me to contribute it for their needs.

Just like what went on in the Mormon deal. If they aren't making a plan for confiscation for the "common good" they would not be asking about it.

Guest mcgyver210
Isn't illegal to not comply? Granted said law may be unconstitutional but that never stopped them before....

My wife gave them what they wanted I just never spoke with them at all.

As far as illegal, Government is so out of control more & more the constitution doesn't matter to them. They will eventually just abolish everything they don't like or just ignore it in the name of Terrorism which is more of a term used to deter Freedom now days.

Look at the past Nazi Germany started off doing some of the same things. It will be the end when they take our GUN's which is where they are trying to get to.

I am glad you are satisfied that the .gov is not up to bad intentions. What exactly did they teach you in this TEMA course?

The only reason I can figure that anyone wants to know what I have prepared for is so they can can count on me to contribute it for their needs.

Just like what went on in the Mormon deal. If they aren't making a plan for confiscation for the "common good" they would not be asking about it.

Part of what I learned - how TEMA operates/how their are structured, toured the Nashville operations center and what they do to respond to an emergency, etc...the fact that they have almost no assets of their own and such a small number of actual employees was an eye opener.

I surprised you see no legitimate reason in their knowing, at least in a general sense, how "prepared" the public is or isn't because I certainly can see such a reason. Moreover, an emergency response agency like TEMA in one function/area that I think is very appropriate for government to be engaged in - significant disasters, whether man-made, natural is something that any one person, community or state would have trouble responding to totally on their own and not something the private sector can really do either, even was it so inclined.

The vast, overwhelming majority of people are not prepared for any type of disaster. The guvment just needs to plan on that and quit butting into people's personal affairs.

I find all this very curious after the recent announcement of Homeland Security/TSA checkpoints on TN highways.....

Well...healthy skepticism of government is a good thing but there is always the danger of such skepticism reaching an unhealthy level.

In any case, why would you want a government agency to spend money on preparations that they don't need to or even worse, spend too much on the wrong preparations??? I would agree that most people aren't prepared for an emergency but I also believe that that level of preparedness is changing (and that more people are preparing)...I"m sure that TEMA and FEMA thinks so too and as such, I don' t see them asking people to be "butting into people's personal affairs". Besides, you can always chose to not respond to their questions just like I chose to not respond to most of the census questions last year.

Having just completed a course with TEMA I can say that there is a legitimate reason why TEMA, FEMA, etc would like to know just how prepared the public (in general) is for an emergency...they don't need to know precisely what I have or how much of it nor am I going to give them the serial numbers of everything in my gun safe but if they want to know if I've made some preparations for an emergency I'm not going to have a problem telling them so. :(

FEMA and TEMA are usless and should not exist to begin with. If anyone associated with them is ever on my property, they will be asked to leave immediatly.

Well...healthy skepticism of government is a good thing but there is always the danger of such skepticism reaching an unhealthy level.

In any case, why would you want a government agency to spend money on preparations that they don't need to or even worse, spend too much on the wrong preparations??? I would agree that most people aren't prepared for an emergency but I also believe that that level of preparedness is changing (and that more people are preparing)...I"m sure that TEMA and FEMA thinks so too and as such, I don' t see them asking people to be "butting into people's personal affairs". Besides, you can always chose to not respond to their questions just like I chose to not respond to most of the census questions last year.

I agree, especially if the data they're collecting is general and not specific. I guess we'd have to see what the questions are first and how they gather the answers. Is it household by household; doubt it. I'm sure they have a system to categorize based on the answers and generate statistics based on that. I don't think they have the resources or inclination to look in to how much you have in storage. It's probably more like "17 percent of homes in this area were in "X" category of prepardness. This suggests that 83 percent of the population are going to be looking for a handout in the case of mass power outage/snow-ice storm/economic collapse/rapture/zombie apocolypse. These are the things our department needs to do to prepare for such an event."

I still think mail outs would be more cost effective and could be made to be more anonymous. I'm picturing some nice old lady coming to my door trying to do her part to help her community, not an evil and sinister plot to put me on a list so the gov't can steal my supplies and burn my books.

FEMA and TEMA are usless and should not exist to begin with. If anyone associated with them is ever on my property, they will be asked to leave immediatly.

If a Joplin size tornado rips your community apart you would change your opinion on that.

lafayette tennessee tornado pictures - Google Search

You mean like this? This event was EXACTLY what formed my opinion on FEMA and TEMA. The government is NOT the answer for everything.

Who said they were (the answer to everything)???

Just because they aren't the answer to everything doesn't mean they aren't the answer to SOME things or that they don't have a legitimate function to play in, for example, a natural disaster situation. Even doing a poor job during a disaster doesn't mean such an agency shouldn't exist.

The primary responsibility for our protection and for being prepared for emergencies IS, first and foremost, an individual responsibility but that doesn't mean the government shouldn't or doesn't have a part to play.

Who said they were (the answer to everything)???

Just because they aren't the answer to everything doesn't mean they aren't the answer to SOME things or that they don't have a legitimate function to play in, for example, a natural disaster situation. Even doing a poor job during a disaster doesn't mean such an agency shouldn't exist.

The primary responsibility for our protection and for being prepared for emergencies IS, first and foremost, an individual responsibility but that doesn't mean the government shouldn't or doesn't have a part to play.

Nothing wrong with the government playing a part. Pre FEMA and TEMA, the local police, fire dept., EMTs, and even the national guard did a fine job assisting in such situations. When the tornado destroyed my community, friends and neighbors were also key players in the cleanup and rebuilding. FEMA and TEMA were a hinderance. I can't speak for everyone, but a lot of my neighbors will not be to welcoming of these agencies in the future.

The primary responsibility for our protection and for being prepared for emergencies IS, first and foremost, an individual responsibility

The above statement is spot on, and as we continue to allow government to grow, many among seem to be losing sight of this.

Edited by gregintenn

Yep. I do agree.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

I see no need in the Government knowing how prepared I am or am not. I find it odd that they would even ask such a question, especially coming from Homeland Security or the FBI. I am not comfortable with the power Homeland Security has been given as well. As said earlier, it reminds me specifically of the Nazis and the Communists in Russia, China etc, etc and what they all did to their populations after they came to power. Anything the Government does should be treated with a healthy dose of skepticism IMO.

I have been very open about my preparedness in hopes of encouraging others to be self-depedent. People on the web know much of what I have, even though they do not know where it is.

I have zero use for FEMA or TEMA and consider it wise to avoid any contact with them. Its not that I necessarily suspect them a malicious entity, but just another bureaucratic FUBAR guaranteed to make life hell for any responsible individual.

I know first hand the dangers and struggles of dealing with a natural disaster as well as the numerous side-effects. I will not surrender my families security, but I am honestly not too worried about .gov seizing it either. I am more concerned about the civilian freeloaders. I imagine if they are willing to trample other humans to get to $2 Waffle Makers on Black Friday then they would have little problems slaying my family for food if they are starving.

I know first hand the dangers and struggles of dealing with a natural disaster as well as the numerous side-effects. I will not surrender my families security, but I am honestly not too worried about .gov seizing it either. I am more concerned about the civilian freeloaders. I imagine if they are willing to trample other humans to get to $2 Waffle Makers on Black Friday then they would have little problems slaying my family for food if they are starving.

Well in the absence of an organization tasked with addressing that problem then that's what you can expect. Unfortunately most people are not prepared to handle a disaster, so if the majority of the population suddenly loses their basic means for survival (food/water/shelter) and there is no organization in place to address it then anarchy will erupt, people will kill and many, many innocents will die. This happens all over the world, why does anyone think that wouldn't happen in the US?

lafayette tennessee tornado pictures - Google Search

You mean like this? This event was EXACTLY what formed my opinion on FEMA and TEMA. The government is NOT the answer for everything.

So what exactly did TEMA/FEMA do to make the situation worse? If they were ill-prepared to handle such an event don't you think it would be prudent for them to take measures to better prepare in the future?

Well in the absence of an organization tasked with addressing that problem then that's what you can expect. Unfortunately most people are not prepared to handle a disaster, so if the majority of the population suddenly loses their basic means for survival (food/water/shelter) and there is no organization in place to address it then anarchy will erupt, people will kill and many, many innocents will die. This happens all over the world, why does anyone think that wouldn't happen in the US?

The absence or presence of such entities will not change a thing other than concentrating the irresponsible population in predetermined "camps" where they will have few rights and zero protection.

I can feed and protect my family better than the gov. When I crank that emergency radio and hear the instructions of what nearest camp to report to, I then know what areas to avoid.