How many ban Santa in your homes?

Chucktshoes

IMHO, a child's imagination is the greatest thing in the world. And it's only something they have for a few short years. After it's gone, they are left with the sad realities of an adult world.

I wouldn't think of Santa as a lie. But more so a play on a child's imagination. No more then letting them pretend they're a construction worker with a Tonka truck. Or letting them pretend they're a truck driver on their bicycles. Or a cop with a cap gun.

You wouldn't think about not giving them a cap gun because it's a lie for them to think they're a cop. So why remove Santa from their imagination because it's a lie?

Why would you want to remove this joy from your kid?

6469752041_1aece03cc3.jpg

Cutest Santa Claus Picture - Ever! by Jim Frazier, on Flickr

[image courtesy of Flickr's Explored]

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well stated! I also participate in the shop with a cop program. It kills me every year when someone makes the evil comment that if all you folks are here who is protecting the county. Then I tell them we are all volunteering our time to help those less fortunate than we are and enjoy watching their faces drop from embarrassment.

I love doing shop with a cop. Got it coming up this Thursday. It's definitely one of the best things about the Christmas season! Also the only thing I've done that's worth going to WalMart between Thanksgiving and Xmas for! :D

That would be called Midnight Mass you heathen

:D

Who would ever drop Santa from Christmas? If you

have any confidence in your little human beings at

all, let Santa be there. Kids are pretty smart and

they figure things out on their own at their time.

Some traditions need to stay. The kids would probably

grow up and be like their parents. Breaking something?

Tradition

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is probably the last year for my niece and nephew. They will surely figure it out, if they haven't already and just aren't saying. And it makes me sad--as others have already stated, there are harsh realities in life and this is just one thing that is magical for the little ones--why take that away from them? We weren't traumatized or had to go to therapy, or called Mom and Dad liars. We understood and why when they told us "officially." Some of my fondest memories, though, aren't of mine, but of those of my uncle playing Santa to my cousins, he and some who are now gone, way too young. Those are special memories that now bind the family together even more at Christmas. Our families still "...kept the Christ of Christmas" (sic) and didn't allow the commercialization to overpower that message of love and giving.

Have a heart and lighten up, right? We're only kids once, right? Your decision, I know, but since you asked....:D

There is a saying of the three phases of a person:

1. you believe in Santa Clause

2. you don't believe in Santa Clause

3. you are Santa Clause!

Some of my most cherished moments are seeing my daughters reaction on Christmas morning. We have always kept Christ front and center of Christmas and always will.

Now my daughters and I teach Sunday school to Kindergartners together, something we have done the past 5 years. We talk of Santa to the children as Saint Nick and make sure that they understand whose birthday that we are celebrating.

Since this thread was first started this morning, I've been trying to think of what age I was when I discovered that Santa Clause was a lie. Was it four? Six? Ten? I honestly can't remember. Maybe I've failed at life because now I'm pushing 51 and I'm still not altogether convinced that Santa Clause IS a lie and that he doesn't exist.

Ban Santa? I don't even have kids, let alone grandkids, and still I can't bring myself to contemplate such a thing! Ban Santa from my home? Might as well ban hope and dreams and the simple joy of temporarily suspending disbelief. When I think of all the joy this so-called "mythical" gentleman has brought to the world, it fills my very soul with hope.

Santa a lie? Oh, what evil! And worse, an evil continually perpetrated upon the world by generations of parents who were lied to by their parents!! Oh, the inhumanity of it all! Unless... maybe... possibly... he's not really a lie. I'll admit that I've never seen Santa Clause (although I've seen plenty of his helpers), but I've never seen an iceberg either and yet scores of people whom I respect tell me that they do indeed exist. I've never had a fireplace and chimney for Santa to come down and I've heard that it would be physically impossible for one being to travel as much as he is purported to travel on one night, but then I think of Einstein's famous theory and I can't help but wonder.

Ban Santa? No. I'm sorry, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I have no real proof that he exists, except for what I feel in my heart of hearts and the joy I've witnessed at the very mention of his name. But neither have I seen conclusive proof that Santa does NOT exist. In fact, the only evidence I've had to the contrary has come from those I'm not inclined to believe anyway.

Ban Santa from my home? No thank you. Even at my age and without children of my own, I find it much more comforting somehow to continue to bid him welcome here. And I think he likes it that way... I know I do!

:D

Since this thread was first started this morning, I've been trying to think of what age I was when I discovered that Santa Clause was a lie. Was it four? Six? Ten? I honestly can't remember. Maybe I've failed at life because now I'm pushing 51 and I'm still not altogether convinced that Santa Clause IS a lie and that he doesn't exist.

Ban Santa? I don't even have kids, let alone grandkids, and still I can't bring myself to contemplate such a thing! Ban Santa from my home? Might as well ban hope and dreams and the simple joy of temporarily suspending disbelief. When I think of all the joy this so-called "mythical" gentleman has brought to the world, it fills my very soul with hope.

Santa a lie? Oh, what evil! And worse, an evil continually perpetrated upon the world by generations of parents who were lied to by their parents!! Oh, the inhumanity of it all! Unless... maybe... possibly... he's not really a lie. I'll admit that I've never seen Santa Clause (although I've seen plenty of his helpers), but I've never seen an iceberg either and yet scores of people whom I respect tell me that they do indeed exist. I've never had a fireplace and chimney for Santa to come down and I've heard that it would be physically impossible for one being to travel as much as he is purported to travel on one night, but then I think of Einstein's famous theory and I can't help but wonder.

Ban Santa? No. I'm sorry, but I just can't bring myself to do it. I have no real proof that he exists, except for what I feel in my heart of hearts and the joy I've witnessed at the very mention of his name. But neither have I seen conclusive proof that Santa does NOT exist. In fact, the only evidence I've had to the contrary has come from those I'm not inclined to believe anyway.

Ban Santa from my home? No thank you. Even at my age and without children of my own, I find it much more comforting somehow to continue to bid him welcome here. And I think he likes it that way... I know I do!

:hat:

:) way to touching! I think this brought a tear to this old mans eyes.

My sons, now 30, 28 and 26, were never lied to... not about Santa, the Tooth Fairy, the Easter Bunny, or Jesus Christ. Three of those are not real... you pick the one that gives good gifts, is there when you hurt and knows what you want on Resurrection Day. We're human and we might have been wrong...

Guest bkelm18

Like others have said, you're only a kid once. Let them believe in hope and miracles and the good things in life before they grow up and realize life is a lot scarier.

Dear Editor—

I am 8 years old. Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus. Papa says, “If you see it in The Sun, it’s so.” Please tell me the truth, is there a Santa Claus?

Virginia O’Hanlon

Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except they see. They think that nothing can be which is not comprehensible by their little minds. All minds, Virginia, whether they be men’s or children’s, are little. In this great universe of ours, man is a mere insect, an ant, in his intellect as compared with the boundless world about him, as measured by the intelligence capable of grasping the whole of truth and knowledge.

Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists as certainly as love and generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to your life its highest beauty and joy. Alas! how dreary would be the world if there were no Santa Claus! It would be as dreary as if there were no Virginias. There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance to make tolerable this existence. We should have no enjoyment, except in sense and sight. The eternal light with which childhood fills the world would be extinguished.

Not believe in Santa Claus! You might as well not believe in fairies. You might get your papa to hire men to watch in all the chimneys on Christmas eve to catch Santa Claus, but even if you did not see Santa Claus coming down, what would that prove? Nobody sees Santa Claus, but that is no sign that there is no Santa Claus. The most real things in the world are those that neither children nor men can see. Did you ever see fairies dancing on the lawn? Of course not, but that’s no proof that they are not there. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You tear apart the baby’s rattle and see what makes the noise inside, but there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest men that ever lived could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, romance, can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding.

No Santa Claus! Thank God! he lives and lives forever. A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay 10 times 10,000 years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

I guess if I had interaction with any kids I might let it slide. As it is, santa can keep his fat ()() out of my house. I don't know why I have always hated santa, even as a kid. Not much of a christmas and holiday spirit kinda man though. Never have been.

My itinerary for dec 25: 7:00 wake up - 7:01 tell Jesus happy birthday - 7:02 try & find something to do until bedtime.

Guest jackdm3

I can't remember the age I saw my dad shuffling presents around when we ALL should have been in bed, but I guess they knew what I knew. At the end of the day, when we were all happy and fed and funned out, my mom said, essentially,

"Santa has a lot of kids to take care of, now. He asked us to take over his duties and care for you so he can focus on the littler ones. "

" ... wutt? ... "

"Christmas isn't over. We just want to give Santa a break and give children something they've never had. Do you understand?"

"Uhh, I guess."

And I looked over my loot, and deep inside myself, and realized getting half of what I was used to was good enough for me. To this day, I still get gifts and the tags read, "From Santa!"

I thought of Santa as a buddy of Jesus, a divine entity of some sort that came around to help celebrate Christ's birthday. Santa concept is much like that of Yahweh : is eternal, can be everywhere anytime, can perform magic by getting in your house whether you had a chimney or not, gets mad when you're bad, rewards you for being good and believing in him, etc. You did have to take the effort to write the old fart, though, couldn't just pray.

The Easter Bunny was just confusing, no super powers or anything, and just the ho-hum egg thing.

Continually strange to me though, how everyone drops Santa but most continue to avow various other supernatural entities.

- OS

I think you are robbing your child of some special memories if you "ban" Santa. Isn't there somewhere in your heart where you can remember how magical Christmas was when Santa came to see you? I remember waking up at 4am and running out to the living room to see that Santa had came and then running to tell my brother, "get up now! Santa came." Those are memories that I will have forever. Christmas just isn't the same when you find out that Santa isn't "real". You just don't get the same feeling as when you believed.

Your child will find out soon enough on their own. At that point in time they will probably come and ask you about it. Then you can handle it in whatever way you see fit. I just think that it is wrong that you would rob them of these special memories that they can only make a short time.

Guest lostpass

I always say: Keep the Saturn in Saturnalia. Actually, I am pretty sure that a celebration around the solstice has been going on longer than that. But one of the cool things about starting a new religion is that you get to pick when the celebrations are. So when you're saying happy birthday to Jesus (at the church around here the have a birthday party for Jesus. He never shows) you're off by more than a few months.

So, I can either explain to my child the history of the standard winter solstice celebration. I can explain that winter sucks and this is the sign that the days pr going to start getting longer again. I can explain how the early Christians wanted to convert folks and adopted their schedule of holidays. And so forth. It is all hopelessly complicated. I suppose I could demand he write a research paper (with non wikipedia citations) and submit it to me for grading to make sure he really understands Christmas. If it doesn't mention Mithra or St Nicholas it gets a quick F.

Or, I could just embrace the "lie"

When Little N figures out that Santa is daddy with a few beers in him (cause at my house we leave out a six pack of Fat Tire and some chips) I think that is the time to take hime to the secret club. The secret club is an idea I saw somewhere on the net. It works like this: you take the kid out and explain to them that while there might not, necessarily, be a real Santa there is a Santa oath. During this time of year, you'll be a little nicer, you'll be a little better, you'll be a little friendlier because you're now a Santa.

Or something. I haven't quite worked it all out yet. It isn't original to me, I read it somewhere else. The point being I want it to be something enjoyable to my kid. I want it to be something he can do with his kid some day.

I think most of the more educated Christians understand that Christ was more likely born in early fall, but since no one knows for fact and for certain, why change now?

Constantine and the existing Catholic synod firmed up the dates for Christmas and Easter to coincide with the longer running and co-existing "pagan" religious festivals, which were already celebrated for many hundreds of years at winter solstice and spring equinox. Assuaged both factions and caused less disruption to business, since everybody took the same time off. The pagans had more fun, though. ;)

- OS

Guest lostpass
Constantine and the existing Catholic synod firmed up the dates for Christmas and Easter to coincide with the longer running and co-existing "pagan" religious festivals, which were already celebrated for many hundreds of years at winter solstice and spring equinox. Assuaged both factions and caused less disruption to business, since everybody took the same time off. The pagans had more fun, though. ;)

- OS

Dammit, don't drag Easter into this too!

I don't think it matters where these traditions originated, it's for the kids anyway and I'm going to let my kids enjoy it. Banning Santa Claus due to it being a marketing ploy is like not letting your kids trick or treat on Halloween because it's a pagan holiday.... or not getting your wife something on Valentine's Day because it's a BS day made up by the greeting card industry.... neither course of action would go over well. I'd just prefer to let them enjoy it no matter what my feelings are. Santa Claus, Halloween, Valentine's Day, birthdays... it's all for them to enjoy even if I don't get excited about them myself. It makes me happy to see them happy.