Road Rage involving Oak Ridge officers in Knoxville

For the record I would like nothing more than to be proven 100% wrong one day. I would hope if a hot head off duty officer were to approach my car at a red light or stop sign, and I pulled my weapon, that I would not fid myself in the back of a cruiser headed downtown.

Dang....

As some would tell you, I'm not one to assume someone is right just because they are a LEO. I also agree that in some situations they are not treated the same way (good or bad) as other citizens might be.

But without any proof the DA just threw the law out the window and chose not to pursue charges regardless of any hard and fast evidence that the law was broken...there really isn't any reason to keep going on about it.

FWIW I really don't think someone pointing a firearm at you always means a law was broken. It's only aggravated assault if the person reasonably feels there life is in danger. If they don't really feel threatened...then it's not aggravated assault. Of course I'm sure there are times without an firearm involved at all...maybe even not a visible weapon there are times someone might be in reasonable fear and the aggressor could be charged with aggravated assault.

Guest bkelm18

I too am perplexed why Estep was not arrested if both officers pulled their sidearms. However, I was not there and none of us here were either. The case was presented to the DA and the DA chose not to bring charges against the officers. To me that says there is either a lack of evidence or there are holes in Estep's account. That's they way it works. It does not mean the officers did nothing wrong, it just means that there isn't enough evidence to bring up charges. The officer is still on modified duty probably until the ORPD finishes their investigation. No need to turn this into a witch hunt just because you have trust issues with LEOs.

The last time I sat on a Grand Jury we PO'ed the Prosecutor.

Probably not a good idea.

But I remember on about two cases the alleged victim came in and testified.

The judge briefed us when we showed up for duty and he said that an individual

can go before a Grand Jury and request an indictment.

And he told us that the Jurors run the Grand Jury. And we did.

The only knowledge of the law that I have is what I've gotten from serving jury duty. But my entire

adult life I have been called every time I was eligible. I've lived in Rutherford County for

seven years and been called two times for duty.

Edited by billyscott

From what I can gather,

1.There was not enough evidence to prosecute.

Or

2. There were no laws broken

If the officers handled the situation poorly so be it, that in and of itself is not a crime. There may be administrative fall out for them if that was the case.

I have resolved that this thread is going in circles and small ones at that.

ahhhhh. I got it!

It was a random drive-by gun sale!

Officers whip out weapons - "Hey buddy, you wanta good deal onna dissa gat ?" "its a fo-tay"! Potential Client - "no thanks, I'm busy chatting with ex at 911" They just need to brush up on their presentation skills, maybe hold tupperware parties ;)

Edited by R_Bert
Was it alledged that they pointed the guns at Estep or just unholstered them?

Did i miss that?

Good question. If they just unholstered and held at low ready while instructing an irate road-rager to calm down and get back in his vehicle. Then I may have a totally different view of the incident. (aside from the off duties not reporting the incident)

I believe it was believed (assumed) they pointed them at Estep. But I don't think the facts are actually known.

Was it alledged that they pointed the guns at Estep or just unholstered them?

Did i miss that?

Anyone who watches StarTrek knows that you beam in with weapons drawn level and pointed in a random direction (so the monster can surprise you, but not with completely overwhelming odds...), and you never stand next to the guy in red.

Guest bkelm18
Anyone who watches StarTrek knows that you beam in with weapons drawn level and pointed in a random direction (so the monster can surprise you, but not with completely overwhelming odds...), and you never stand next to the guy in red.

star_trek_expenability.jpg

Seems if a cop is accused of wrongdoing some people will never be happy of the outcome unless they are convicted.

I agree. Maybe the best way to mitigate that would be to release facts about the case so citizens could be secure in the knowledge that our government officials aren't as corrupt as we accuse them of being.

I agree. Maybe the best way to mitigate that would be to release facts about the case so citizens could be secure in the knowledge that our government officials aren't as corrupt as we accuse them of being.

It might at least put an end to this thread.

Facts won’t matter. Estep himself could get on here and say it didn’t happen, and someone would say he was either paid off or coerced. If its not the cops that are crooked, it will be the DA, or the witnesses, or.... on and on.

I don’t think I have ever accused a public official of being corrupt unless I have had reason to. Otherwise they get the benefit of the doubt.

This thread has plenty of life and entertainment value left. According to the Ridger, Chief Akagi last Monday has promised an internal investigation, including taking a statement from the "victim".

“I still plan to do an internal investigation,” he said.

Akagi said in December that his department would conduct an internal investigation after the DA’s office concluded its investigation.

The chief said his department will conduct a similar investigation, but will look at the incident for administrative purposes.

“I want to see if departmental policies and procedures were followed,” Akagi said.

“I’ve always believed they acted appropriately, but given the circumstances that arose, an initial examination of the facts by an independent agency, I feel is always best under these circumstances.

He said “the duty status of all officers remains unchanged.”

Akagi said in December that one of the officers was placed on modified duty.

“As part of our inquiry, we’ll contact the alleged victim and take a statement from him,” the chief said. “I spoke with him the week following the incident and haven’t heard from him since.”

I don't think they are corrupt. I do think their media relations could be improved. I am, admittedly, entertained by their manner of resolving the issue created by "boneheads vs bonehead".

Facts won’t matter. Estep himself could get on here and say it didn’t happen, and someone would say he was either paid off or coerced. If its not the cops that are crooked, it will be the DA, or the witnesses, or.... on and on.

I don’t think I have ever accused a public official of being corrupt unless I have had reason to. Otherwise they get the benefit of the doubt.

Appears to me it did. The DA did “several interviews†and determined that the Officers “Acted on a reasonable basis to pull their guns†and “No criminal charges were justifiedâ€.

Does it bother you that a gun was pulled and no one was arrested, or that cops were accused of something and they didn’t have a public trial simply because they were cops?

It bothers me that we're not getting the whole story. It also bothers me that a lot of shaddy stuff goes down and nothing is done about it. It bothers me that people think that because they're cops they can do no wrong.