Buying a new pistol online

k9wh91984

I am looking at buying a new pistol online. I have never done this before and I know about the transfer fee and shipping to my dealer. Do I have to pay tax at the dealer when I go to pick it up? Also do most local dealers , Guns and Leather, work to compete with a price of the same gun they have in stock if it's within reason say $50. Just looking for some input and I am buying from Cheaper than Dirt. I have never had issues before on parts.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
I am looking at buying a new pistol online. I have never done this before and I know about the transfer fee and shipping to my dealer. Do I have to pay tax at the dealer when I go to pick it up? Also do most local dealers , Guns and Leather, work to compete with a price of the same gun they have in stock if it's within reason say $50. Just looking for some input and I am buying from Cheaper than Dirt. I have never had issues before on parts.

No the dealer does not collect tax on the gun. Though legally, you're still "supposed" to pay tax on items bought untaxed online.

Some dealers will double the transfer fee if is a gun they "stock". Some will make it worth your while just to buy it from them.

Talk to whoever you want to do the transfer before ordering anything. No dealer likes random guns being delivered in the mail. :D

Call around if you can, tell them you'd like to do a FFL for "Insert gun here", when he says they have that in stock, ask them if they can get close to CTD's asking price. You gota think, if the FFL fee is $25, and the gun costs more than $250 thats pretty much "taxes" you would had to pay in store. I've bought online twice (got a Springfield XD9SC for $350) Called local FFL and he said he couldnt even get close and he doesnt blame me for buying it. I do spend quiet a bit of my money in there though........

Now the next question is.....

WHATCHA GETTING?!!?!!

Just make sure your dealer FFL is already is on file with them. I use Buds and CDNN for on-line purchases. Buds lets you check your dealer’s status on-line. CDNN doesn’t put anything on-line except their sale flyer; so you have to call them.

Guest NashvegasMatt

As far as the taxes are concerned... Amazon.com had some issues with this exact issue. Because there is no physical store or warhouse in TN they are not obligated to request taxes be paid, but if they had a physical store in the state, they are required to. This is what's holding up their new warehouse construction. I'd be interested to know if people from kentucky have to pay sales taxes to BUDs since the physical store is in KY....

check out this article for more legal information on internet taxes.

Do You Have to Pay Sales Tax on Internet Purchases? - FindLaw

Edited by NashvegasMatt
Guest bkelm18
As far as the taxes are concerned... Amazon.com had some issues with this exact issue. Because there is no physical store or warhouse in TN they are not obligated to request taxes be paid, but if they had a physical store in the state, they are required to. This is what's holding up their new warehouse construction. I'd be interested to know if people from kentucky have to pay sales taxes to BUDs since the physical store is in KY....

check out this article for more legal information on internet taxes.

Do You Have to Pay Sales Tax on Internet Purchases? - FindLaw

Yep, in TN, you're supposed to pay a Use Tax on stuff purchased online if the seller doesn't collect tax at the time of purchase, though I'm sure most people never do.

https://apps.tn.gov/usetax/

Technically, the government would love to see a flow of money like this:

you earn $10, you pay $1 of it in income tax.

You spend $4 of it and pay $1 in sales taxes and other taxes like gas tax or whatever.

The business pays $.4 of it in income tax and uses $2 of it to pay an employee who

pays $.2 of it in income taxes.... then spends the buck he has left...

If they miss it on one of the times it changes hands, they will get it the next time around, trust me.

I just bought a handgun from Cheaper Than Dirt. They have an FFL Dealer finder on the site, put your zipcode in and a mileage range and it will generate a list. I called a shop here in Franklin about transfer fees, and they expect $75 and up depending on if it's new or used. Needless to say, I won't be buying cleaning patches from them, let alone anything else. Another small shop I've used before charges $35, that I can deal with.

I would check out budsgunshop.com I use to buy from cheaper than dirt but there shipping lately had gotten out ragious... Buds had free shipping ... The only tax u should have to pay is tax on the FFL fee they are charging ... I use the saddle shop at the Triune 4 way shop on 96 they charge 20 bucks and nice people to deal with

From time to time I check on local and area gun prices to better understand some online sale prices, but as a rule try to support the local shops. Having a C&R License to use every once in a while is enough for any online order's I'd be intrested in. I really understand how tight money is now and spend far less on firearms, but if its new or used and in a local or preferred gunshop that's my first stop.

If your in Nashville or nearby, Capitol View Pawn charges 10$ per transfer, and 10$ for TICS. I think it was 22$ and change for the entire process.

D&T will do a 10$ transfer for TGO members. They'd prefer you buy from then, and will work with you to accomplish that.

I bought a pair of lowers from PSA.

I checked the website of the FFL I was going to use, they have all of their information posted. I used their shipping address with my name, sent an email to them and let them know to expect it.

I was updated through the entire process and never once had to pick up a phone or talk to a person. To be honest it was a ton simpler than I thought it was going to be.

If your in Nashville or nearby, Capitol View Pawn charges 10$ per transfer, and 10$ for TICS. I think it was 22$ and change for the entire process.

D&T will do a 10$ transfer for TGO members. They'd prefer you buy from then, and will work with you to accomplish that.

Does the $10 fee from D&T include the TICS?

One thing to always do and remember when you buy a gun online and have it shipped to your FFL/Dealer.

ALWAYS INSPECT the gun FULLY before your FFL runs the Background check. If you find anything wrong with it then do not accept it. Just find out from who you bought the gun about how to return it and do so. Dont wait to get home to do a full inspection.