What kind of lubricant do you use in your firearms?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of lubricant do you use in your firearms?

What do you use to lubricate your firearms?

-

I first used CLP oil and solvent which was okay. I then switched to Hoppes oil and solvent - liked it much better. I am now experimenting with Rem Oil.

After reading a few posts by Dolomite, I might just throw it all out and look for a tub of "moly grease." However, as thick as grease is, I'm slightly concerned that it might just gum up my guns and create a nightmare for cleaning. ;)

Feel free to comment/explain/and share experiences.

Edited by w0lfattack
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Buy a tub of red grease at Walmart and never worry about buying gun lube again. I have run several intense 3k+ round classes with this and it has never dried up, burnt off, or migrated out of the guns.

It works very well.

To clean all you need to do is hose it down with brake cleaner and wipe it off.

Mike

Edited by Mike
Guest Blueyed Rebel

RemOil... staring at a bottle of it as I type... used it for as long as I remember, never any problems.. after cleaning my weapons, just a couple of drops in the right spots... there was a five year time span there where I even used conn trombone slide oil.... I had a case of it and that I was given and funds were just a little tight.. even tho I didn't visit the range any more often, I did find myself cleaning and lubing once or twice more then I would have... that may have been due to a subconscious worry about the slide oil... but it never gave me any problems either... and I did use it on all my weapons too, not just one or two..

Blue

I just moly-greased my glock. It took me the better part of an hour to remove all the oil from the gun and to grease it. I got a gigantic tube of it from wally world for like $3 (Super-Tech Moly-Lithium grease found in the engine oil section). So far so good. It slides really smooth. We will see how it runs!

Converting my AR-15 from oil to grease sounds like a lot of work so I'm going to save that for another day.

I just moly-greased my glock. It took me the better part of an hour to remove all the oil from the gun and to grease it. I got a gigantic tube of it from wally world for like $3 (Super-Tech Moly-Lithium grease found in the engine oil section). So far so good. It slides really smooth. We will see how it runs!

Converting my AR-15 from oil to grease sounds like a lot of work so I'm going to save that for another day.

Brake parts cleaner will speed up the removal phase. Just hose it out.

[b'>k9wh91984[/b]]I'm sticking with; if it ain't broke don't fix it lol :) how does grease work compared to a good lube such as KeLube or Froglube synthetic.

It works just the same. There are no Gun oil factories. Nearly everything you see is re purposed and repackaged lubricants. There's only so much technology you can pour into something slippery before it becomes a game of negligibnle differences. Given the time and stresses that these lubricants are likely to see.(read: nowhere near their operational limits...) You are more likely to clean it off put more on long before it actually needs more.

Mike

UPDATE: Well I finally greased my AR-15 with success in addition to my glock. Went shooting today in Woodbury with a friend whos never shot a gun before. Greased guns performed very well. No malfunctions in the glock or AR-15.

Except the forced malfunctions in the glock. Friend had the habbit of sending the slide forward really slow when loading. He kept forgetting so I made him put fresh magazines in with the slide locked to the rear.

Besides that, everything went well. Place was empty. I had no idea they had reset-able steel targets. That was SO MUCH fun! I felt like an IPSC shooter, lol.

Bacon grease.

Tastes good too!!!

keep up the good work!

leroy

PS -- Got a buddy who is a well known gunsmith. His reply on the "which lube do you use thing"...: "...The one on sale at Brownells. They are all good."....