TGO's continued evolution: Help me test out NEW forum software!

Well Dave, here's my 2 cents.

I've always loved IPB over vBulletin. It's just my favorite forum software. The only thing I hate about IPB is trying to integrate it into any CMS for a website but thankfully, we don't really need to worry about that here. The only thing I can see being a problem is a migration of the payment system for the Benefactor but that should be easily remedied (the only reason I say it could be a problem is because I've never used a payment system within IPB and I stopped at IPB 3.x I believe). That being said, don't forget to get the downloads module if it comes free in the bundle. If not, don't worry about it. The other modules were never really "needed" in my opinion.

I don't think IPB has anything like the "groups" but I will check into it. As for the other, no I wasn't able to determine what happened. I think the groups discussions got wiped inadvertently during the last vBulletin upgrade as when I went to check and see, the feature was off and the posts were completely gone.

They do but they want you to pay for it for some odd reason.

Here's a demo: Group Home - Invision Power Board

Edited by wcsc12
  • Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WyattEarp

seems to work fine for me. I did try to update my gender in my profile, and it keeps saying it can't be left blank, even though I selected male, and then save, i still get the message.

will there be a version with a black background, in lieu of the all the white? Only my opinion, but that much white is overbearing, that's my only gripe with the new software, seems to be very similar to Vbulletin, just not as cluttered.

The mobile version is really nice! Could definitely eliminate the need for tapatalk.

Sent from my Mom's basement

how does it eliminate the need for tapatalk? I only have firefox on my Droid Incredible, and I avoid using it unless I absolutely have to, which is why I prefer the tapatalk. But perhaps you know something I don't, so I'm only wondering how else you would be viewing the mobile skin of TGO IPB?

Looks and works fine for me. I have really gotten use to VB software, but the IPB seems really good.

Couple of comments:

1. I wish there was a little more delineation of quoted text in posts, or some kind of shading (like the VB software), to help distinguish quoted text in someone's reply.

2. Will there be a system similar to iTrader on the new board? If so, will our feedback data migrate over?

• Administrator
Well Dave, here's my 2 cents.

I've always loved IPB over vBulletin. It's just my favorite forum software. The only thing I hate about IPB is trying to integrate it into any CMS for a website but thankfully, we don't really need to worry about that here. The only thing I can see being a problem is a migration of the payment system for the Benefactor but that should be easily remedied (the only reason I say it could be a problem is because I've never used a payment system within IPB and I stopped at IPB 3.x I believe). That being said, don't forget to get the downloads module if it comes free in the bundle. If not, don't worry about it. The other modules were never really "needed" in my opinion.

They do but they want you to pay for it for some odd reason.

Here's a demo: Group Home - Invision Power Board

Bullet point responses because it's easier.... :)

-- CMS is not really an issue for us, as you've observed. IP.Content is their answer to CMS if we ever need to go down that road.

-- Benefactor subscriptions are not a problem. There is a mod for that and it works very well.

-- I believe that the groups implementation you're seeing comes via the IP.Nexus product, which we might use at some point, but there's actually a good add-on module for social groups that looks like a better option. I think we can cover that one too, albeit probably not by importing anything.

• Administrator

will there be a version with a black background, in lieu of the all the white? Only my opinion, but that much white is overbearing, that's my only gripe with the new software

I don't think you read my first post. Go back and read it. :)

• Administrator
Looks and works fine for me. I have really gotten use to VB software, but the IPB seems really good.

Couple of comments:

1. I wish there was a little more delineation of quoted text in posts, or some kind of shading (like the VB software), to help distinguish quoted text in someone's reply.

2. Will there be a system similar to iTrader on the new board? If so, will our feedback data migrate over?

1. That can be adjusted by changing the color scheme a little.

2. Yes, but I don't think they can transfer that data over. It's not a IPB official product but an add-on module, so I'll have to inquire about transferring the data somehow.

Guest cardcutter

So far I like it. I know nothing about the code or moderator tools. However, that being said,from a purely user standpoint it is friendly and easy to adapt to. I had to look for a few things but other than that I like it. BTW i could not change the gender thing either.

The mobile skin looks nice on my iPhone. I still will use tapatalk though as it has some features I like such as the indicator for each topic letting you know if there are new posts on a thread. Also I follow a bunch of boards, so it's my one stop spot.

It's hard to test without a bunc of new post, but on my iPhone there are blue stars/dots on the left of each thread, if there is a new post it is dark and if you press it..it goes straight to the first new post.

i am viewing the desktop version for the first time. its really nice. I love the ability to filter the forums right there on the home page. thats one of the features i like most about tapatalk. it gives you the option of viewing "participated" threads. I say lets do it :)