1911 Noob Question

Guest RichieRich

Guest RichieRich

Forgive me, for the question is basic. All my handguns to date are wheel guns and polymer striker types.

Mrs. Santa came with a real perty Springfield 1911 stainless steel loaded. I never field stripped a 1911 before, but what I see online is that it's a lot easier with a Bushing wrench, so I want to order one. No need to make my first take down more painful than necessary.

There are a bunch online with specific brands (e.g., Wilson Combat) but I don't see one that specifically is designed for Springfield. Do I need to be brand specific, or does any one for a 1911-A1 fit all the others.

Thanks in advance. I've learned so much from you guys.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Scramasax

ANy 1911 bushing wrench should do, unless it has a full length guide rod. There should be a takedown manual with the gun. Also you should check out 1911.com. Wish I was closer, could show you around the old war horse.

Best regards,

ts

Guest RichieRich
ANy 1911 bushing wrench should do, unless it has a full length guide rod. There should be a takedown manual with the gun. Also you should check out 1911.com. Wish I was closer, could show you around the old war horse.

Best regards,

ts

The manual actually shows how to do it without a wrench, but I've seen a bunch of forum postings that says it's a lot easier with one. I think this is probably a good opportunity to call in a quick favor with a buddy so I don't booger it up the first time.

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

Same here never used a wrench. Used my finger to depress the plunger and slid the bushing over. As Beowulf said this would not be possible if you have a full length as you may need a wrench or pin for a full length. If you gun has a "button" on the muzzle which is your plunger, just press with finger. The recoil spring does not contain a lot of pressure, it is very easy. Slide the bushing to the left, remove plunger and spring, slide the plunger all the way right and remove outward.

Guest ryanlaura02

Might I suggest Youtube there is a lot of excellent videos there just search for 1911 field strip and you will be educated believe me.

I have the Springfield loaded and you do not need the bushing wrench. I have always felt it just made it more complicated. That said, you do have to press the plunger with your finger which has a bit of a lip on it so if you have sensitive fingers the wrench may work better for you. Try you tube, i bet there are thousands of videos showing in detail how to take a 1911 apart.

Guest bkelm18
I thought that was what fingers were for. Anybody have trouble fieldstripping one without the wrench?

One came with my S&W 1911, but I never used it. I never had an issue.

I find I have more trouble with the bushing wrench, then just using my finger. My finger has never failed me, but once or twice that bushing wrench has slipped resulting in a certain projectile being launched freely from it's home at a decent velocity.

A coworker recently got a Remington 1911 - he had a problem with the finish on the frame and was going to send it to Remington. I asked if he had trouble reassembling it and he did. I offered to make sure it was ok. It was the tightest bushing I have ever seen (ok, tried to turn)... but I was able to do it while he was trying to get the wench out of the box! I thought I was going to need to use it, so some are very, VERY tight... but his gun had never been fired.

I had to use a bushing wrench on my SA PRO and Colt Commander when they were new, but after a few times to the range each works well without a wrench.

Be careful not to send the spring across the room Also use care not to put a idiot scratch on the frame while reassembling the slide stop.

Guest RichieRich

You guys are all great. I think the bottom line for me is I need to get a buddy to show me how he does his. Like anything else, it's not what you know but who you know!

You guys are all great. I think the bottom line for me is I need to get a buddy to show me how he does his. Like anything else, it's not what you know but who you know!

Pay particular attention on how to remove and insert the slide stop. Don’t rotate it and drag it on the side of the frame. Plenty of 1911’s out there with “idiot marks†on them.

There are plenty of instructions and videos on the net on how to do it. Your manual should have good instructions.

I thought that was what fingers were for. Anybody have trouble fieldstripping one without the wrench?

Yes. My Les Baer is a PITA because of the tight tolerances. Now my Kimber and Springfield I can do with my fingers but with the way that Kimber did the bushing, it hurts less to use a wrench.

Edited by penguincomp