What is the Best 4x4 Driver/Beater for under $4k

Guest Tailguuner762

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jeep Cherokee's seem to be awfully competent wheelers for the money and stock. Also for even cheaper, Samuri's are fun little vehicles as long as you don't go past 45 on the hwy. lol

I would have to agree with the Cherokee. They can be had very easily and for cheap, which also means parts can be had readily too. I posted some of my vehicles in another thread, and I did not have more than a couple grand in any of them.

Of the vehicles I have had experience with, the cherokee performed better all around. It went well offroad, and was comfortable to ride in. I have an old back injury that was easily aggravated by too much bouncing, and the cherokee I had treated it better than anything in that price range. When it was all said and done, I think I had about $1300 in it.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/general-off-topic/66307-lets-see-youre-off-road-trucks-2.html#post832618

If I were to get another toy today, I would get another Cherokee and set it up to have about a 34" tire, locked front and rear, and put a moderate size winch on it.

Edited by dats82

you know what, my friend had an old Mitsubishi and it was the best 4x4 I have ever seen. He took it to heck and back 2 times and the thing kept going. I did have a cherokee and the thing was a POS. quite frankly, at 4k I would find something that has a lot of age that might have been rebuilt to the point it has enough new parts to be worth 4k. I would love to buy a early 90's ford or a mid /late 80s ford. easy to get parts and pretty much a rock

It is generally well known that the crazy ifs/solid front axle that fords of that era had were both weak and a bitch to work on. Regardless of what brand you go for, you would be well advised to find something with a solid front axle. They are much easier to work on, generally stronger, and lifting a vehicle without an sfa is both much more complicated and more expensive.

Of course all that depends on how much you want to lift and what size tire you want to run. If I intended to run anything over a 31, it would be hard to talk me out of a straight axle.

Guest Tailguuner762

I'm running a 4Runner a the moment, but I don't really care for it. I would have to say my favorite 4x4s are Toyota pick ups and Cherokees. I also have a `79 Chevy Luv if anyone got some knowledge on them I would apperciate it if you chimed in.

If you are actually going offroad,I suggest a Toyota or the Cherokee. 1st gen 4runners from the 80s are the best.

my 1991 4Runner was a complete P.O.S. Might want to avoid that year. Mine had the 3.0L V6 and it was the most under powered vehicle I have ever driven.

Guest TNcumminsGUY
my 1991 4Runner was a complete P.O.S. Might want to avoid that year. Mine had the 3.0L V6 and it was the most under powered vehicle I have ever driven.

the 3.0 L was the biggest pos ever made in the history of toyota motors, always had problems. I have a 1986 toyota turbo pickup that has been cut up and built for rock crawling. Sure the 22ret is underpowered but it does all I need it to

You're right. 90-95 with the 3.0 were sad. I prefer 84-89 with the 2.4 liter. My 22re is built and it will walk all over a 3.0.