What do you carry and why?

Guest bigbuck_tn

Guest bigbuck_tn

I thought this would be a good read and it might help someone who was looking at getting into the CCW arena, so I will start.

What:

I usually carry a G27 w/Trijicon nite sites, factory 11 rd magazine with NY-1 Trigger spring, loaded w/165gr Remington Golden Sabers.

I usually carry appendix style in a Galco Stow and Go Holster. It is pretty comfortable, I still know it is there but it doesn't bother me. It hides very well on my body type (round):) and is fairly quick to draw from. With it being in front, I know who is looking at it and I don't worry if anything is sticking out behind my hip. I can wear it under an untucked shirt and it is practically invisible. If you look hard, you can tell something is there but not what it is, looks alot like a pager.

Now the why:

I like the way Glocks fit my hand.

I am fairly accurate shot with them.

I like the fact that they are light weight.

I added the NY-1 trigger spring because it gives a constant 8 lb pull from start to finish instead of the light two stage pull that I don't like.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Currently carry a HK USPc 40SW. I like HK's reputation for reliability and carry with confidence. I'm currently looking for something a little smaller for summer carry.

Currently Carry: HK USPc (.357sig) variant 1

Carry Mode: Fobus paddle / Mexican Carry (looking at a Fist Holster, and Don Hume)

Ammo: 125 gr. Speer Gold Dots

Why this Firearm:

Wanted more than 6 rounds (I was replacing a .45 single action) and a decocker. I also got this one for a good price. I was also looking seriously at a Sig 239 (in .357 sig) at the time as well.

What sold me was the fit to my hand, plus the deal that I got at the time.

Thinking about also adding to the mix some day: Glock 23, HK PSP, Colt Detective Special and maybe some J-Frame. (In no Special order.)

Guest kwikrnu

I carry a kahr p9 in a iwb kydex holster. I have carried the same gun since early 2001 when I got my permit. I bought it because I didn't want a revolver. I wanted a cool semi automatic. It has served me well for carry because it is pretty thin and weighs very little. It has never misfired at the range and is okay accurate.

I'm now looking for one of those light weight snub nose revolvers in .357 or .38 special. I think they are lighter (less rounds) and fit into a pocket much better.

FEG R61 .380. Why? More compact and slim for my little hand; recoil is not bad at all; its not picky with the ammo it gobbles and it is pretty accurate.

Guest bigbuck_tn

HK P-7 because it is the most accurate hand gun I have ever used, its very conceivable, and you have to know how to fire it.

Did you file down the dis-assembly button?

I have never even held one but have read that you can accidently press it while firing and that most people filed it down flush to prevent that. Is that true? I would hate to file on a gun that was that expensive.

Guest Halfpint

CARRY WEAPON(S): HK USP Compact .45, in condition one. S&W 442.

MODE(S) OF CARRY: Mitch Rosen ARG at 4:00, J-frame in an ankle rig. If I'm only carrying the J-frame it's at 4:00 if I can wear a suitable belt, and if not it's in my strong-side front pocket.

WHY: The J-frame is my "go anywhere" gun . . . I love the way it shoots, carries, and feels in my hand. The HK has been dead-nuts reliable and as accurate as I have a right to ask it to be, even after literally burying it and digging it back up.

DISCLAIMER: The only reason I'm NOT carrying my Kimber is because it's at Wilson, spending some quality time with a 'smith. I do truly prefer the 1911 platform over others, but the USP series is a close second, mostly due to cocked-and-locked options. I'm also a fan of the ambi mag release and factory suppressor-friendly offerings--I might wind up needing one later this year. ...and for what it's worth, my Kimber has been through the same torture as the HK, and it functioned flawlessly as well. When I get it back, I may very well relegate the HK to nightstand duty and carry the Kimber year-round, in the same position and holster design as the HK.

Edited by Halfpint
Guest darkstar

I have three that I rotate on a sort of regular basis. A Glock 23, a Sig P229, and a Sig P239. All three sit in a Bianchi 105 "minimalist with slots". In the Glock I currently have 135 gr power balls and in both Sigs (they are both 9mm) Speer 124 Gr Gold Dots. I like the Glock because of the fit and I shoot well with it. I like the Sigs because they are hands down the most accurate weapons I have and they both fit very well. I like the 239 when I don't feel like lugging the 229 or the Glock around.

For a BUG I have a S&W 642 centennial style (which I sometimes use as a primary) in a DeSantis Nemisiss pocket holster. That one eats Speer 125 gr Gold Dot +P's. If I'm carrying that as a primary I keep an additional 10 rounds on an SKS stripper clip (thanks Rabbi!) but if carrying as a BUG I just have one 5 round speed loader.

With the Glock and Sigs I generally carry one extra magazine....sometimes 2 with the 239 as it only holds 8

Guest Halfpint

I buried my HK by accident the first time--dropped it in the river behind my dad's house last year. So I just picked it up, shook it, and kept going. I decided to re-bury it to see just how true the torture-test statements were. The Kimber got buried, dug up, and fired right before I sent it to Wilson, since a re-finish was part of the plan anyway. It was completely torn down, thoroughly cleaned, and shot again to make sure everything was ship-shape before I sent it to Wilson.

Guest Phantom6

Generally speaking my defensive set-up is as follows:

Main- Springfield XD9 service model in a Bianchi Carry-Lok belt holster it's light weight, extremely reliable (I've never had stoppage in thousands of rounds over the years) and because it allows me to shoot better than other guns I've carried in the past.

Back-up is a Taurus model 851 ss 2" .38 in a DeSantis pocket holster off hand pocket because it's light weight, small framed and with the shrouded hammer I don't have to worry about getting my thumb over the hammer's thumb spur to keep it from getting hung up in my pocket on the draw. Sometimes due to the concealability factor I will not carry the Springfield and I will add a speedloader or two somewhere and this will be my primary defense.

"American Express" (so called because I "never leave home without it") Seecamp .32 which is carried in a wallet holster either behind my shirt pocket (5.11 or other tac-type shirt), breast pocket of my coat, hip pocket of my pants, boot, or where ever. I carry this because though it's all steel it's light weight, very reliable, concealable in the palm of my hand if need be and this gun was built specifically for me by Larry Seecamp.;)

When I was a young man back in the sixties my ol' grand daddy always used to tell me (and I believed him) "boy, two guns is one and one gun is none". Both he and his dad were Sheriffs that survived their office down in Alabama a little while before and just after the beginning of the last century.

Always gun, for the past month or two, has been a Kel-Tec P3AT, just because it's very convenient.

My main carry gun is an XD-357 Service... which has served me well, has been pretty easy to maintain, and functionally 100% reliable (even when a minor part broke). Just because I like to upgrade every once in a while, I'll probably be replacing it with a DW CBOB 1911 or something of similar quality within the next month or two.

Glock Model 30 .45acp in a fobus paddle hoster strong side. Loaded with 11 Remington 230 gr. Gold Sabers. The reason - Smallest .45 that could hold 11 and I could shoot the best.

In the summer time, when I am wearing shorts, I sometimes carry a Bersa Thunder .380, mexican stlye strong side.

I recently bought a Ruger P89, from another member on here, and I have carried it a few time, but it is just a large gun. But it is good for a change.

• Administrator

I carry whatever works best with my attire and activities at the moment. J-Frame goes with me a lot of times when I just want to travel light. Church, for example. My HK P2000 goes with me when I can afford to carry and conceal something a little larger and heavier.

The Wilson comes out when I'm feeling particularly froggy.