What do you carry and why?

Guest bigbuck_tn

Ruger SP-101 .357 is my everywhere gun.

I have a Smith 642, but the SP gets more carry time simply because it is durable enough to practice with full house .357s without hurting your hand or shooting loose. Despite being a snubby...it is a VERY accurate gun that points very naturally for me.

Slicked it up with IOWEGAN's IBOK and put some custom Cocobola Inserts in it and it looks real nice...also it is the Lipsey's model in target grey.

sp1011.jpg

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have carried alot of different guns over the years, but always wind up back to a J-frame .38. I am currently totin' a Glock 22 (.40) I like it because it holds a whole lot more ammo than I would ever expect to need.(16 rds.) and it is accurate enough and certainly reliable. When I can't dress to conceal it I go back to the .38 spl.

Guest eyebedam

When Im feeling like James Bond its a Walther P99 in a .40 SW with Winchester Supreme JHP 180 gr in a Don Hume holster. Now that its gettting a little warmer out & its nothing but T shirts & shorts for me its been my Ruger LCP 380 with Remington Golden Saber JHP 102 gr in a nemisis pocket holster. Once in a blue moon Ill carry my ppk/s just for something different but its not very often at all.

Guest atomemphis

What: Kimber Pro CDP II

With: 230g Golden Sabers

How: The ol' Fobus until my Rafters Holster comes to me.

on occasion:

What: Smith & Wesson Sigma 9VE

With: Federal Hydrashoks

See also: Fang teeth.

Guest Mugster

I don't really carry often...most of the places I go don't allow it. When I do its usually a full size .45 (taurus pt1911) in a shoulder rig or a S&W .357 (M19) 4" on the strong side hip. I basically won a free j-frame M442 (won the glock draw at hero gear and traded it in) recently figuring it might be good for carrying in hot weather.

In a suit and tie, or with a covering jacket, the j-frame is by far the friendliest to carry and conceal IWB, but I have the least amount of faith in it. A good old .45 in a shoulder rig is second, followed by anything else I have full size on the hip.

Guest Mugster

I can't hit it with it like I can with a full sized handgun. I find the DAO trigger to be quite hefty, and the grip is too small, and the "sights" suck. I also can't draw it out as fast, and compared to full power .357 magnum or .45 acp ammo, the .38 rounds i have in it are like fire crackers.

Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, for a number of reasons. But it has some drawbacks in terms of handling, firepower, and hitting power imo.

At work I need to be very discreet so I carry a Keltec P-3AT with Remington 102 gr JHP Gold Sabers in a Desantis Nemesis holster or my trusty daytimer. I used to keep my Glock 23 with Hornady Tap 180gr JHP in a Galco Summer Carry IWB holster locked in my car and switch right when I left but my Glock has become my night carry and weekend gun.

I feel like the Kel Tec is making me soft, it's so easy to carry that I compromise myself more and more by carrying my Glock less.

Guest mikedwood
I can't hit it with it like I can with a full sized handgun. I find the DAO trigger to be quite hefty, and the grip is too small, and the "sights" suck. I also can't draw it out as fast, and compared to full power .357 magnum or .45 acp ammo, the .38 rounds i have in it are like fire crackers.

Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot, for a number of reasons. But it has some drawbacks in terms of handling, firepower, and hitting power imo.

I have a friend that can change your mind about all of that. Snubbies absolutely rule! I'm serious. Feel the snubbie force young Jedi.

(Sorry couldn't resist, but that's kind of what it's like when you "get" the "art" of the snubbie.)

Guest themark712

I carry a Taurus 817, the 7-shot .38 Spc snub.

Now the why, and you all will get to hear what a newb I am. I wanted a revolver for my CCW, because, I wanted a revolver. That's pretty much it. When I was searching and shopping, I read about the 817, and thought the idea of 7 shots in the revolver was sexy as hell, much better than 5 as with most revolvers. Now right here common sense would dictate that a 7-shot revolver is going to be a bit large than a 5, but that would not deter me. So I carry a fairly large snub, and I'm currently looking for a semi-auto to replace it.

Don't get me wrong, I like the gun, and all. I carry it an inside-the-pants holster, but in my right front pocket. It's fairly comfy as long as you don't have to do alot of bending, and it was easy enough to get a draw down for it. But it's really better suited for a lady's CCW, simply because it's better carried in a purse rather than on your person, or better suited for a bigger person. I'm a little guy to begin with.

You may all begin laughing.

Guest djeep225

I carry a Bersa model 95 380auto IWB I also have a Ruger p94 9mm but it's like carring a tank, I love the gun, but too bulky.

Guest bhoneycutt

XD-40 Sub-Compact with the 9 round mag with Hollow point Golden Sabers 180 gr. in a JMG IWB holster.

why: pretty small, packs a punch, reliable.

I carry a Colt .38 spl Agent when I feel the need to carry. If I feel the need to carry something larger, then common sense tells me I probably don't need to be where ever it is I'm going.

Federal Nyclads are dead on in this revolver so that's what's in it along with two HKS speed loaders. If I'm wearing a jacket then it's in the right front pocket and if I'm not then it's tucked in a Uncle Mike's IWB holster. If I'm in kakhis, I just stick it in the front pocket.

The main reason I carry this one is because it's first of all LIGHT. Second it's very ACCURATE. Third it's DEPENDABLE. Things that I like in a pistol. :D

I carry a Colt .38 spl Agent ............................

The main reason I carry this one is because it's first of all LIGHT. Second it's very ACCURATE. Third it's DEPENDABLE. Things that I like in a pistol. :wave:

Me too! Light, Accurate, Dependable.......that's why I carry a GLOCK :wave:

Guest Scottech
XD-40 Sub-Compact with the 9 round mag with Hollow point Golden Sabers 180 gr. in a JMG IWB holster.

why: pretty small, packs a punch, reliable.

Same here...except I had the Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe holster...until yesterday when I traded it (see my HG post http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7370). Now it's a Sig Sauer P228 in 9mm with Hogue grips and 124 gr Rem GS JHP in a black Don Hume IWB, and my SOG Trident Tanto that's sharper then h311.

Edited by Scottech
Guest reddunn

I carry an xd .45 service or tactical depending on which one is closer to my belt on the dresser.the service at 4" is a little easier to conceal in an IWB holster though. I work in west nashville and its getting to be a little dangerous to even work out here.I had a cop tell me I needed to carry an ankle gun also!

Guest dwrd

I carry either a Glock 27 or a Glock 23 in a MTAC Minotaur. Why, I shoot well with both of them, and I can use the same ammunition in both, and use the magazines from the 23 in my 27 if needed. I carry Gold Dot ammunition.

Guest oldfella

Since I am no longer able to rack the slide, I'm out of the semi auto arena - I'm also recoil-sensitive; I'm now strictly into all-steel revolvers (S&W). In the Winter months I carry a 2'5" K-Frame (M66) in my coat pocket, and in the warm months I carry a 2" J-Frame (M640) - it works for me.

Pete

Since I am no longer able to rack the slide, I'm out of the semi auto arena - I'm also recoil-sensitive; I'm now strictly into all-steel revolvers (S&W). In the Winter months I carry a 2'5" K-Frame (M66) in my coat pocket, and in the warm months I carry a 2" J-Frame (M640) - it works for me.

Pete

And I promise, the bad guys won't like you a bit! :up:

Guest oldfella
And I promise, the bad guys won't like you a bit! :koolaid:

I bet - On my last shooting session, even with this shaky hands, the bad guy - via a target, got hurt real bad :koolaid:... he got it right in the X, and all around it.

Pete

Guest GlockFD

well right now I cant, still need to take the ccw class. but, I have a glock 22 with two 15 round mags at home. the reason I got it , was becasue it is an American Heros edition. with police and fire logo on the slide, and I had to have it. I will carry it for a bit even though it is heavy with that much ammo. I will go with a kimber compact 1911 soon though.