better plinker Beretta Neos or S&W 22A

JoeJ615

anyone have either of these that can speak on reliability/accuraccy/ability to eat cheap bulk ammo like federal and winchester? already have a ruger 22/45 target model that i love but looking to add a second .22 for the wife to learn with and join me when i decide that the empty mt.dew cans (zombies) are becoming too plentiful ;)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the 22a is very good, almost as good as the ruger. I like it a lot better than the neo. As said, I would rather just have 2 rugers though. The 22a grips are lacking (this may be a bonus if your wife has very small hands, though) and it has a pastic washer inside that needs replaced about every 1000 or so rounds (25 cents each or something). It is very accurate and reliable, however, those are the only 2 real trouble spots.

why screw around with a Yugo or a Nissan when you know a Ruger is the best way to go.

If you have to, buy another Ruger. Why buy a POS?

well honestly im looking to get something a lil different in another .22 pistol and both of these were in the running when i first bought my 22/45, and this time money is a bit tighter .... i know the difference is only maybe $50-$75 between these 2 and another decent Mk III but when you're kinda wincing at the price already 50-75 can be a big difference lol ..plus as they say variety is the spice of life so kinda looking for a non MkIII that will be as fun/accurate as the MkIII and from what i can gather although cheap neither of these guns is a POS ... like i said never fired/owned either one just going by what i gather from various reviews i've looked up

Guest Nikator

I have a Beretta Neos and enjoy shooting it. I chose it because it can shoot the cheap bulk ammo without problems. No problems getting rounds on target at 25 yards. I find it to be a pretty accurate gun. The grip is a little on the small side, so of you want it for your wife it's probably going to fit her hand just fine.

Bought one for my wife and had nothing but problems as I had been warned. Did not want to believe it being it is made by Beretta. Ended up trading it for an SKS and was happy to get out of it for that. Go with a Buckmark if you dont want another Ruger

We have a Neos, and my son loves it. We've had it for about five years, and it has easily seen several thousand rounds. My wife likes her old High Standard DuraMatic better, but enjoys shooting the Neos as well. The Neos grip is smaller than a Ruger, so children and women seem to like it better. Ours has been very reliable, and has no trouble with cheap ammo. It is very easy to take down and clean. Magazines are well-made , inexpensive, stainless steel, and reliable.

I have been looking at a Neos and the carbine upgrade. At Rimfire Central there is a lot of info. I own quite a few .22 handguns, so I guess I might be a bit of a collector. I have a S&W 422 in a six inch that is a great gun and accurate. I have to many friends with a 22A that have ammo issues.

The Neos is based on a proven design the Hi-Standard Duramatic, when Hi Standard shut down Colt pick the design up with it Cadet model. Both are not made anymore. The Duramatic is now being built again in SS by the new Hi Standard Company in TX. With a MSRP of around $500. The Cadets lower was synthetic like the Neos.

The 22a has a large grip where the Neos is smaller. Both have triggers that are ok. But to me better than a Ruger MK III out of the box. But there are tutorials on the web on how to tweak them.

I love my Duramatic, had it for over 30 years. That is why I am leaning toward the Neos.

Edited by R1100R
Guest Lester Weevils

Dunno much about it but would be more inclined to get a buckmark than Neos or 22A.

Also possibly a .22 revolver if a really nice one. There are sposed to be some real nice .22 revolvers but the only two I've shot were not something I'd pay money for. Can't remember the brands but they were rather klunky.

Some folks say a dedicated .22 makes more sense than conversion slides, that conversion slides are just plain silly. But the .22 pistols I like to shoot more than my ruger are all conversion slides, that I keep on those guns mostly full-time, but it would only take a few minutes to go back to the original caliber. That is lots more expensive and perhaps not as accurate, assuming the shooter is good enough to see a difference in accuracy.

Every range trip I take one or more out of Beretta 92FS with .22 conversion, CZ85 with Kadet slide, or 1911 with Advantage Arms .22 conversion. But lately the Ruger Mark II slabside only make maybe 1 of 4 range trips. The Mark II is a good pistol, but the converted major-caliber pistols are just more fun for whatever reason.

Guest rockbottom12

I have the Buckmark the wife has 22a and my brother has the ruger.

The Buckmark is every bit as good as the ruger. The front sight is replaceable and you don't have to defy physics to reassemble the gun after cleaning.

The 22a was far less reliable. We had a pair with serials 1 apart. Both went back to the factory to be fixed. Constant stove pipes and failure to feeds. It was consistent on this with all bulk ammo. After returning it is better but still has more failures than can be contributed to ammo, especially compared to the browning.

this is just my experience.

I have a NEOS, and its the second one I've owned. The first one went back to Beretta twice to fix a light firing pin strike problem. After the second time sending it back, Beretta decided to just send me a new one rather than try to fix it (again). (First time it came back from Beretta I starting having the same issue of weak firing pin strikes within the first few mags).

The new NEOS they sent me has worked very well (Only a few FTF here and there with cheap ammo).

I'm still lusting for a Mark III tho. I just can't justify buying a new .22 pistol at the moment since my Neos is working well.

I have a NEOS, and its the second one I've owned. The first one went back to Beretta twice to fix a light firing pin strike problem. After the second time sending it back, Beretta decided to just send me a new one rather than try to fix it (again). (First time it came back from Beretta I starting having the same issue of weak firing pin strikes within the first few mags).

The new NEOS they sent me has worked very well (Only a few FTF here and there with cheap ammo)...

My NEOS had to go back twice also (basic black 4.5" model). Had to pay shipping first time, too, even on a new gun, that's one bad thing about Beretta's CS. Mine off and on wouldn't quite reset trigger properly, would often slide off sear or something; release trigger and pull again and would fire. First trip came back with extensive list of all they did to it, including replacing slide: same prob. Second trip came back with notation "adjusted trigger bar" and it's been fine since. Go figger.

Mainly grabbed it because of generally positive reports and lower price, but mainly because it comes apart so easily, no tools required. From reading around, jgunner and I in the vast minority, most NEOS owners have no probs.

I like the Buck Rogers spacegun look of it. Feels great in my hand. Others have opposite opinions.

Biggest downside: trigger sucks compared to Ruger or Browning. Gun may be as accurate as anything made out of the box, but with heavy trigger who knows. No trigger kit available, you'd have to modify it on your own if you can.

Biggest upsides: eats absolutely everything, don't think I've ever had a jam or stovepipe with any ammo; easy to disassemble/reassemble, modular design, can swap barrels, grips in nothing flat, rail built into barrels. Inexpensive extra mags.

Nifty option: Carbine kit. I've been tempted to get it, go from pistol to carbine and back in couple minutes

Downside of nifty option: kit is $250, somewhat more than I paid for the pistol out the door

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest dubaholic2

havent shot the neos, but i had a buddy with a 22a and it was the absolute worst gun ive ever shot. couldnt group a mag of ammo to save your life. adjusted and adjusted on the sights and could never get it right. only experience ive had with one, but it was enough to sway me away from them.

Guest JChapegs
anyone have either of these that can speak on reliability/accuraccy/ability to eat cheap bulk ammo like federal and winchester? already have a ruger 22/45 target model that i love but looking to add a second .22 for the wife to learn with and join me when i decide that the empty mt.dew cans (zombies) are becoming too plentiful ;)

browning buckmark. I bought one at Basspro for 299.00 in SS with the better grips and hi viz sights.

JC

I purchased at Sportsman's Warehouse and they took care of shipping both times. They were very helpful and handled the situation professionally.

I also decided on the NEOS because I read mostly good reviews of the weapon and the price. Bottom line, if you get a lemon, Beretta will make good on it. Mine is the plain black model as well, with a longer barrel (maybe 6", can't recall atm). And I am happy with the weapon now that it works ;)

I purchased at Sportsman's Warehouse and they took care of shipping both times. They were very helpful and handled the situation professionally.

I also decided on the NEOS because I read mostly good reviews of the weapon and the price. Bottom line, if you get a lemon, Beretta will make good on it. Mine is the plain black model as well, with a longer barrel (maybe 6", can't recall atm). And I am happy with the weapon now that it works ;)

Bought mine at Academy in 'nooga, which leaves you on your own. Being a handgun, and acceding to UPS service terms, even cheapest overnight having a UPS account was about 22 clams best I remember.

Unfortunately, Beretta's policy is an individual must handle shipping, at least on the first trip. On any gun they sell. Had to send to their "service center", a sporting goods store in 'Bama. Called them, and they said they wouldn't even work on it but simply relay up to MD. They did give me a call tag the second time to send straight to MD.

- OS

I bought a Neos Inox (which is Italian for stainless) with a 6" barrel. I bought it for my daughter to shoot (she was 12 when I got it). The grips are a bit diminutive, even for her but she is anything but diminutive (at 13 now she is about 5' 9") and she handles it well. The good news is that she never has trouble working the slide on it which she did with my buddies Ruger. The only ammo problem I have had was with the Remington Thunder bulk box (550 rounds) just like the Ruger had problems with. The important thing, to me, is that she is able to deal with the problem rounds now! The trigger may not be the best but I don't think its the worst I have ever felt on a gun, not by a long shot! Its smooth but it is a bit heavy (and a touch to much pull, if you ask me). I would buy another one, if that says anything.