How many F.& A. Masons on here.

Verne

Just curiosity.

I am Master of Hartsville Lodge #113 and be installed Master at age 29 was a great accomplishment for me.

I have seen others on here and just wanted to say Hi.

Thank you,

Bro. Verne Deckard #113

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought about joining but don't know anyone in it or how to.

If you want to be one, ask one. Or is that the Shriners? I can't remember.

Actually, if you don't know any, you can contact a local lodge and tell them you're interested, or if you want to contact me off-list, I'll be glad to find someone in your area for you to contact. The person will give you a petition, which you simply fill out and return. My email is rrmemphis@comcast.net

Edited: this is the link for one of the lodges in your area (assuming you're in "Monroe" County and not "Monore" County): http://www.gmwp.org/lodges/080.html

You're still welcome to contact me, or you can contact someone at that lodge.

I'm both, a Mason and Shriner, Memphis lodge 771 and Al Chymia Shriners. ...and the circus is this week in Memphis. Come to the circus and you get to hear me play the trumpet!

Edited by robbiev
More like the Mossad. Now that you've asked, we may never hear from you again.

Ugh. You ever met any secular Israelis? Remind me to tell you a joke about it sometime.

My grandfather was in the Scottish Rite. I still wear his ring with date of induction, 1913.

What we do.....We are a Men's Fraternity, a system of morality veiled in allegory and illustrated by symbol. We are not a religion, but we are religious in nature. Our Craft was based on the time and events surrounding the building of King Solomon's Temple. We are essentially a Charitable organization giving to the Masonic Widows and Orphans fund, The Templars Eye Foundation, The Shriners Hospitals for Children, and others.

We are a brotherhood, just like any other fraternity. We like to say we take good men and make them better, and if a person listens to the lessons Freemasonry teaches, and applies them in their private life then they would be in turn bettering themselves and the people around them. The lessons are not something a person HAS to come to us to get, for we have been taught them our whole lives. We as a fraternity like to stress the morals, principles, and duties which we owe to God, our neighbors, and ourselves.

Hope this helps

What we do.....We are a Men's Fraternity, a system of morality veiled in allegory and illustrated by symbol. We are not a religion, but we are religious in nature. Our Craft was based on the time and events surrounding the building of King Solomon's Temple. We are essentially a Charitable organization giving to the Masonic Widows and Orphans fund, The Templars Eye Foundation, The Shriners Hospitals for Children, and others.

We are a brotherhood, just like any other fraternity. We like to say we take good men and make them better, and if a person listens to the lessons Freemasonry teaches, and applies them in their private life then they would be in turn bettering themselves and the people around them. The lessons are not something a person HAS to come to us to get, for we have been taught them our whole lives. We as a fraternity like to stress the morals, principles, and duties which we owe to God, our neighbors, and ourselves.

Hope this helps

What are the membership dues? When are meetings?

Every Lodge sets there own dues and meeting times. But my lodge meets every Tuesday and Friday nights. Attending the meetings are not mandatory but are incouraged. Whe have a monthly "Stated Meeting" where all the "business" of the lodge is read out ie. approving bills, voting on things, etc. on the First Friday of each month.

On Tuesday we have what we call school night. We get together and go over the ritual work and teach the new members their cat. lectures (the catecatical lectures are memory work you must memorizing and recite in order to advance to the next degree.) Not all members participate in the school, some stay in the dinning area and just shoot the bull with other members. They are the ones who already know the work or just there to pass the time.

We do the same on Friday nights, when we are not putting on a degree, or have a Stated Meeting. We also try to visit other lodges around town when they are having a degree, and try to help in some of their ritual work.

Dues are also set by each lodge, my lodge is currently at $65 a year. Some lodges are more, some are less.

This past weekend he had a fish fry. Everyone's friends and families were invited, to come and eat all the fish, fries, hushpuppies, slaw, onions, you wanted for $7. We have two of those a year, and the money from that is all donated to the lodge, for bills and charity donations.

Guest atomemphis

Riddle me this: How many meetings a week/month does the average member attend? It seems like it is very involved, and I'm trying to figure out how the average joe gets his kid to soccer practice, hangs out with the wife, gets a work out, and still has time for a hobby or two as well (motorcycle and shooting).

What if you move? Does membership transfer?

I'm actually interested in this as I pass the building by campus all the time.

Guest clownsdd

memphismason did a good job of explaining it.

You can get as involved or uninvolved as you desire and proceed at your own pace.

My kids are grown and away so I have more time. There are functions at most lodges that do involve the family; cook outs, Christmas parties, Easteregg hunts etc.

The Shrine now has a club called Yoshi that cater to the younger guys and their families.

There are no "rules of attendance" that I am aware of. I know people who have not been in their lodge in years, but still pay their dues.

Just remember this:

It all starts with The Blue Lodge of FreeMasons and to be one you must ask one and yes, you can transfer membership.

Clownsdd is right you can do what you want at what ever speed you can or want to. We have some members who never come to any meetings, they just pay their dues, We have some that only come for the stated meetings, we have some wo only come for degrees, we have some that can only make the Tuesday night meeting, and then there are some (20-30 members) who are there each night they can. I attend most nights, but I let everyone know I need to be home earlier than some because I have a small child and wife I need to tend to.

There is a little learnig that goes on after the first and second degree, and after you learn that and "turn it in", you will advance to the next degree. There are 3 degrees in the Blue Lodge, and once you receive the third degree (Master Mason Degree), you are done. You are as much of a Mason as the next brother. Now there are appendent bodies (Scottish and York Rite) which have degrees numbered higher, but the do not represent rank, just a means of numbering. Plus after you become a Master Mason you can join the above mentioned bodies, or even the Shrine. But that is all up to the brother.

On degree night when I know I will be there a little longer, my wife usually makes plans with some of the other brother's wives, and anytime when see says lets go and do this or why don't we do this...I go. She supports me being an active part of the lodge and working in the degrees, so I don't mind missing a school night here or there.

For instances there have been 4 stated meetings this year so far....I was only able to attend 2 because of other plans, and I am an officer of the lodge. When a man enters Freemasonry he is told that is not intended for Masonry to interfer with his neccessary vocations. Vocations cover work, being a Dad, a husband, Church duties, or anything else that requires your time.

So it is open to the individual, all that person has to do is ask a Mason to join, and that is it, the ball gets rolling.

As the son of a Mason (I am not a mason) it is hard to even convey the support and fraternity (not to mention genuine love) for both my Dad and my family while he was sick and at his passing.

I truly believe that they can make a good man better...

(*Also my mother was of the Order of The Eastern Star.)

That being said, what is keeping you from becoming a mason?

Personal reasons mostly. None of which reflect negatively on Freemasons. After my father passed I gave it a lot of very serious thought, and have since then from time to time.

I have both friends and family that are Freemasons.