any quitters here?

Me and the old lady are quitting. Smoking that is. I think this time it will stick. She has been over a week and I am at about 4 days. Cold turkey.

My orginal quit date was April 15, I had been working on cutting back. I had stopped smoking at work and in the truck. No more after meal smokes, yanno just trying to break the habit of when I smoked.

Karin came back from Arizona Monday night and I asked her how she was doing with the smoking thing. I fully expected her to have caved in and snuck one or two. She told me that she had not had one since I stuck her on the plane last Thursday. Well heck. what was I supposed to do. I had not planned on quitting until this coming Monday night. So real quick like I ran around the house ( not in the house but the garage and porch, no smoking in house anyway) with a pitcher of water. I found every ash tray full and cigarette butts I could find and soaked them in the pitcher.

I took the 3/4 pack she had left in my truck and destroyed them and the partial pack of mine and destroyed them as well. AAACK, I was in my truck yesterday getting my check book out. I found a pack of smokes with one in it. Dang I shredded that thing before I had time to talk myself out of it. Good thing too, Today it has been real hard, I would have caved if I found it just now.

so long story short I am having a nicotine fit right now. But I am not caving in.

Anway typing this out got me past it.

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me and the old lady are quitting. Smoking that is. I think this time it will stick. She has been over a week and I am at about 4 days. Cold turkey.

My orginal quit date was April 15, I had been working on cutting back. I had stopped smoking at work and in the truck. No more after meal smokes, yanno just trying to break the habit of when I smoked.

Karin came back from Arizona Monday night and I asked her how she was doing with the smoking thing. I fully expected her to have caved in and snuck one or two. She told me that she had not had one since I stuck her on the plane last Thursday. Well heck. what was I supposed to do. I had not planned on quitting until this coming Monday night. So real quick like I ran around the house ( not in the house but the garage and porch, no smoking in house anyway) with a pitcher of water. I found every ash tray full and cigarette butts I could find and soaked them in the pitcher.

I took the 3/4 pack she had left in my truck and destroyed them and the partial pack of mine and destroyed them as well. AAACK, I was in my truck yesterday getting my check book out. I found a pack of smokes with one in it. Dang I shredded that thing before I had time to talk myself out of it. Good thing too, Today it has been real hard, I would have caved if I found it just now.

so long story short I am having a nicotine fit right now. But I am not caving in.

Anway typing this out got me past it.

Hang in there. I quit August 10th 2003. I am so happy I did.
Guest Disney

I quit after 12 years. Cold Turkey. The last 5-6 years were 2 pack a day.

I've never felt better!!! Put them down in May 2003 and haven't touched one since. The first two weeks were tricky, but between chewing gum and keeping a rubber bouncy ball with me to play with all the time, I got through. Oddly, after a few years, I got done with a project that I had done many times in the past, but not recently, and when I did, I reached for my cigarettes..... WHy I have no idea.

Good Luck!!!! Stop in here if you need some support!

Guest gunslinger707

Hang in there Mike it can be done i smoked my last one Jan.112008 although not cold turkey.I used Chantrix and niccorette now just Orbit chewing gum..Good luck !!!

I was forced to quit after I had my bike wreck a couple of years ago.When you spend two months in the hospital on morphine its vewy easy to quit.I say it was the morphine,heck I couldn't even pick my nose with that stuff in me much less do anything fun :D

but having everybody around me smoking got the better of me eventually.

I keep telling myself I need to quit again.I sure would be able to buy more ammo if I did

Guest flyfishtn
Tobacco ought to be illegal.

Actually, you should say cigarettes should be illegal. Tobacco, in its natural form (cigars, pipes, etc) do not contain the carcinogens that are placed in cigarettes.

Just sayin'...

BTW, good luck! I have friends who quit cold turkey with the best success.

Edited by flyfishtn
Guest Liberty Seeker

I quit cold turkey on 7/7/07. I found the reading at www.whyquit.com to be quite helpful for me. I also have a program called quit counter that runs on my PC, it tracks days quit, money saved etc.. In 9 months I have saved almost $1500.00!

Hang in there, Mike. My last one was 04/15/03. It does get better and well worth it. Your body will thank you. You will also not miss everything in your house and car smelling like cigarettes.

Guest Spuds

Over 7 months for me, September 2, 2007. Took Chantix for 10 days and then quit smoking and quit taking the Chantix too. Nary a puff since.

Noticed Thursday while driving that I could smell the stuff when stopped at traffic lights. My a/c was set to use outside air and drivers around me were puffing. My sense of smell is sharp now.

Biggest thing that got me was the new tax and restaurants not allowing it. Thankfully I quit in time, with a month to spare.

Guest Phantom6

Good luck Mike. I quit cold turkey and smoked my last cig. on 23 February 2001 after enjoying puffing away for 30 years. Two days later I had my first heart attack. I told the doc sitting at the side of the bed when I came to 4 days later that I knew that quiting smoking s*%# would kill ya. Damned near went from cold turkey to dead duck but I made it and things worked out. Good luck dude. You can do it. I'm rootin' for you. :D

My wife and I quite a week apart about 6 or 7 years ago. We wanted to be totally quit before we had kids because we didn't want them being raised around it. We both quit cold turkey, my opinion is that is the only way to go though if you need gum or some prescription to help go for it but "cutting back" never works.

I won't lie and say I don't want one every now and then, I do. Then I look at some one smoking and think, wow, how disgusting.

I too had to give up drinking for a while because those two things just went hand in hand. Crack a beer light up a smoke, light up a smoke, crack a beer.

I now can drink with out thinking of smoking. I still don't like to go to "bars" because they allow it and I can't stand the smell.

Wow I did not realize there were that many ex smokers here. I figured a few but this is a great find. Kind of like a built in support group.

I really think I will beat it. I quit for 3 months about 7 years ago, but I knew It was not going to stick then. I did not want to quit, I kept telling myself how much I liked it and all. This time it is different. I want to quit so much, I hate the smell of it, the burnt freakin hole in my truck seat, empty packs laying around. Pretty much there is not one thing I like about it anymore. I have already noticed having twenty buck in my pocket that was not there before this week.

I can take drinking or leave it, not really important to me. I too associate drinking with smoking so I am skipping the drinking anymore. Maybe some day down the road but not anytime soon. Don't need to do something foolish.

Wow Phantom, I am glad i made it past the heart attack stage of quitting, that would be a kick in the jewels alright.

This is great I tell ya, I appreciate the support!!

Now If I fail not only will I not be able to look at myself in the mirror but I will have to face all of you too!

Guest gunslinger707

BTW Mike 357 it also help's to avoid caffeine when trying to quit.I saved enough in four month's to pay for a new Taurus Mod.85 Ultra Lite !!not smoking has it's reward's !!!! lol