In your opinion, what do you understand it takes for a person to get to heaven

runco

I am taking a 16 week class at church on F.A.I.T.H., and I am learing new ways to communicate with believers and non-believers about faith, and I would like to apply what I have already learned. What better place than an off topic thread on one of my favorite forums. There are four possible answers, but lets see where it goes. So like the thread states:

In your personal opinion, what do you understand it takes for a person to get to heaven and have eternal life?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally i dont concern myself much with the concept of heaven or hell. Nor am i certain that Chritianity or any religion has it right. I'd rather just treat people the best i can and do right by those that surround me. End of the day whatever higherpower is out there can judge me on my character and humanity. If im judged based soley on beleifs, well then i guess im screwed but i can always take solice in that i enjoyed my life and tried to make others lives better.

Hmm. 4 possible answers ? Would you be speaking of the "wheel of grace" ? My personal belief though is all you must do is believe and ask and you shall receive. And I am very thankful to be blessed with that gift.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Guest dubaholic2
Personally i dont concern myself much with the concept of heaven or hell. Nor am i certain that Chritianity or any religion has it right. I'd rather just treat people the best i can and do right by those that surround me. End of the day whatever higherpower is out there can judge me on my character and humanity. If im judged based soley on beleifs, well then i guess im screwed but i can always take solice in that i enjoyed my life and tried to make others lives better.

+1. what he said

Guest lostpass

In my opinion it takes a lot of imagination. But that is just me, haven't been blessed with faith.

In religious circles that is a contentious question. Some will argue that the works you do will get you into heaven. Others will argue that it is only belief in Christ that gets you into heaven. Some religions will tell you that forgiveness is the key. You can do whatever evil things that come to mind but if you are able to spout off an act of contrition before you buy the farm you are in. Other religions will tell you that a great way to get into heaven is by martyring yourself. So, there are a lot of ways to get there and some of the ways are mutually exclusive.

That said, I suspect the notion of heaven is a fraud to begin with. Heaven is where everything is perfect and you don't have to work/get a bunch of virgins/and live for all eternity. Why would i want to live forever? If I were born, say ten thousand years ago, I wouldn't be sitting on a cloud watching the going ons of earth with interest I'd be watching the whole mess and wondering why anyone with air conditioning and a grocery store complains at all.

Acts 4:10 then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed. 11 He is " 'the stone you builders rejected, which has become the capstone.' 12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."

Romans 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Seems fairly simple to me. But, who am I?

Acts 4:10 then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed. 11 He is " 'the stone you builders rejected, which has become the capstone.' 12 Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved."

Romans 10:9 That if you confess with your mouth, "Jesus is Lord," and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Seems fairly simple to me. But, who am I?

That is the problem it is to simple so a lot of people don't want to believe.

See ya at the big dinner

I have my own views from studying many religions, if you strip them down to the core the beliefs of most are the same. Some call it being a good Christian, for some it is based on living in harmony or balance with nature. From there the path may change, and views of the afterlife may differ, my thought process is as follows because for all I know a higher power has many versions of heaven to offer us, just listen to all the varieties in near death experiences. If you lead a morally conscious life, and are sorry for your wrong doings you have walked a path that will bring you comfort in you passing.

Well I thought the OP was wanting a little introspects, that I can give.

Otherwise wise I will go to Xanadu I can handle Olivia Newton and hold my own on roller skates..

• Admin Team

I came into this thread with the expectation of closing it. That said, after 23 posts, I'm pleasantly surprised.

I have my beliefs on the matter, but have always had a problem with people who make it their business to pass judgement on who will or won't make it in. I might be a protestant, but if Mother Teresa doesn't make it in, I figure I better just go ahead and step out of the line.

I also think this might be one of those questions that if you get the chance to ask the good Lord, his response may be, "what do you care?"