M&P15 Sport

Superman

Guest NYCrulesU

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=273446135

Probably about $625/$630 shipped + transfer fees ($20 total in Nashville)

No Tax :)

Trying to register so I can buy it....but my phone is my computer...and for whatever reason when it gets to the page where you have to check the "I agree" box...it won't scroll down far enough for me to see and check it. Tried several times.

My local place is getting a few in in 3 weeks. $700 before taxes and background check. Hate to over pay. This gunbroker one is a great price.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to register so I can buy it....but my phone is my computer...and for whatever reason when it gets to the page where you have to check the "I agree" box...it won't scroll down far enough for me to see and check it. Tried several times.

My local place is getting a few in in 3 weeks. $700 before taxes and background check. Hate to over pay. This gunbroker one is a great price.

I tried to register on my phone also, had the exact same problem. My tax return is burning a hole in my pocket. I will have AR soon! Mostly because of this thread. My wife hates you all!!

Guest NYCrulesU

5.56, so can use either.

Sent from my Jitterbug.

I was reading that pressure from shooting 5.56 eventually will break down the gun. But..I imagine....lime any gun I am researching I will find good things said about it and bad.

Guest NYCrulesU

I tried to register on my phone also, had the exact same problem. My tax return is burning a hole in my pocket. I will have AR soon! Mostly because of this thread. My wife hates you all!!

You got your returns already? Dang. We filed early as anything and are still waiting...and we had them direct deposit this year.

Tax lady says the 16th. The wait is killing me.

I have $700-$750 cash in hand to spend right now. Would love to pick one up at $650 OTD, if possible.

My local shop is getting a few in at $700...plus tax....plus background check....

Not really looking to spend $775. for just the gun...no ammo, no extra mags, no hand guard, no vertical geip.

I was reading that pressure from shooting 5.56 eventually will break down the gun. But..I imagine....lime any gun I am researching I will find good things said about it and bad.

thats a new one to me, so what do you mean? like 1 x 7 will wear out before a 1 x 9?

if you gun is chambered for 223 Remington only i guess that would be true, and not 223 w or 5,56 then i am a little lost.

I read this....would love further discussion on it. I'm not saying I believe it...just want to hear more from others.

http://www.ar15armor...-Ch-t22582.html

I think you're reading this part wrong

"Using 5.56 mil-spec cartridges (such as the M855) in a .223-chambered rifle can lead to excessive wear and stress on the rifle and even be unsafe, and the SAAMI recommends against the practice."

Read it again, using 5.56 in a barrel chambered for .223 can lead to stresses. This doesn't go both ways. A 5.56 chambered rifle is already set up to take the higher pressures of the 5.56 round, so the lower pressure of the .223 round wouldn't hurt it. Then again, this is me trying to think what you are thinking as you read, so I could be talking out my cornhole.

I read this....would love further discussion on it. I'm not saying I believe it...just want to hear more from others.

http://www.ar15armor...-Ch-t22582.html

Just an explanation about diffs between 5.56 and .223.

Nothing about 5.56 "breaking down a gun" as you stated earlier, which I consider hokkum. There's no reason a 5.56 chambered rifle firing 5.56 ammo would wear out before a .223 chambered one firing .223.

Also, that paste from Wiki is old and has even been updated -- as even the pressure difference standards are debatable, since SAAMI and C.I.P. disagree about max pressures. C.I.P equates service and proof pressures of the .223 with the 5.56.

Conventional wisdom is to not shoot 5.56 in a .223 chambered rifle, and I see no reason not to err on the safe side and abide by that. On the other hand, there doesn't seem to be much documentation of catastrophic failure from doing so.

Seems to me there are very few rifles still made in dedicated .223 chambering anymore, except for dedicated target barrels, though. Maybe the Handi-Rifles. Don't know of any ARs.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I am retired and have way to much time on my hands. Thanks to this thread I went on a quest yesterday.

Took bettter part of the day but I found a M&P 15 Sport at a small gun shop down in Southaven MS. The critter followed me home.

The biggest difference between a 5.56 chamber and a 223 chamber is the throat or the amount the bullet jumps to get to the rifling. There are other differences but those are more about relaibility in a dirty enviroment than safe firing of the firearm.

In a 5.56 chamber there is a longer throat to allow the extra pressures of the 5.56 cartidge to dissipate some before hitting the rifling.

On the flip side a 223 chamber doesn't have the longer throat because it doesn't need to dissipate those extra pressures like the 5.56.

Now if you fire a 5.56, with its extra pressures, and do not have the throat for it pressures can spike well beyond 223 or even 5.56 pressures. Is it enough to blow a gun up? I can't say but the spike can't be good for long term durability. This is why I always say make sure you have a hardened bolt in your gun, they help ward off premature failure. I have never heard of a 5.56 blowing up a 223 chambered gun. Not saying it never happened or never will but I have never heard of it.

Now I have measured the throat on quite a few 223 only bolt guns. And every one of them has had a throat long enough to easily fire 5.56. As a matter of fact most of them had throats longer than 5.56 chambers.

Here is comparison of the chambers:

http://ar15barrels.com/data/223vs556.pdf

The 5.56 chamber tends to be "looser" all the way around for reliability.

Dolomite

Guest NYCrulesU

I am retired and have way to much time on my hands. Thanks to this thread I went on a quest yesterday.

Took bettter part of the day but I found a M&P 15 Sport at a small gun shop down in Southaven MS. The critter followed me home.

If you don't mind, how much otd?

Guest NYCrulesU

Another AR15 Sport question....

What is the difference between buying the advertised one with the 30 rd magpul mag and the ones with the 10 rd fixed magazine w/ bullet button?

I found one for sale locally...seller says Melonite barrel, not chrome lined but it's CA legal with a 10 rd mag...and said it can be "converted"....????

Appreciate you guys who have more knowledge than I.

Edited by NYCrulesU

Another AR15 Sport question....

What is the difference between buying the advertised one with the 30 rd magpul mag and the ones with the 10 rd fixed magazine w/ bullet button?

I found one for sale locally...seller says Melonite barrel, not chrome lined but it's CA legal with a 10 rd mag...and said it can be "converted"....????

Appreciate you guys who have more knowledge than I.

None of the Sports are chrome lined. Re-read Dolomite's posts in this thread.

Besides the round limit, Kali legal "assault" guns cannot have a removeable mag, using the mag release. They have to be released with a gizmo requiring a separate tool. A .223 bullet works, hence the name. I'd probably not fool with the thing, dunno how they are modified or what it would cost to "re-convert" it.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Guest NYCrulesU

None of the Sports are chrome lined. Re-read Dolomite's posts in this thread.

Besides the round limit, Kali legal "assault" guns cannot have a removeable mag, using the mag release. They have to be released with a gizmo requiring a separate tool. A .223 bullet works, hence the name. I'd probably not fool with the thing, dunno how they are modified or what it would cost to "re-convert" it.

- OS

Thanks OS. I'm gonna steer clear of it. Don't want or need the extra work/hassel.

The search continues...

The biggest difference between a 5.56 chamber and a 223 chamber is the throat or the amount the bullet jumps to get to the rifling. There are other differences but those are more about relaibility in a dirty enviroment than safe firing of the firearm.

In a 5.56 chamber there is a longer throat to allow the extra pressures of the 5.56 cartidge to dissipate some before hitting the rifling.

On the flip side a 223 chamber doesn't have the longer throat because it doesn't need to dissipate those extra pressures like the 5.56.

Now if you fire a 5.56, with its extra pressures, and do not have the throat for it pressures can spike well beyond 223 or even 5.56 pressures. Is it enough to blow a gun up? I can't say but the spike can't be good for long term durability. This is why I always say make sure you have a hardened bolt in your gun, they help ward off premature failure. I have never heard of a 5.56 blowing up a 223 chambered gun. Not saying it never happened or never will but I have never heard of it.

Now I have measured the throat on quite a few 223 only bolt guns. And every one of them has had a throat long enough to easily fire 5.56. As a matter of fact most of them had throats longer than 5.56 chambers.

Here is comparison of the chambers:

http://ar15barrels.c...ta/223vs556.pdf

The 5.56 chamber tends to be "looser" all the way around for reliability.

Dolomite

last year i just missed being there when at the range when one blown apart, big over pressure, barrel came off busted up reciever. i got see lots of cell phone pictures.

was told this on the first round he tryed to fire and the shooter put the fault on useing last years reloads, beening old? i do not get it on being old, but it sounds like a extra hot reload.

last year i just missed being there when at the range when one blown apart, big over pressure, barrel came off busted up reciever. i got see lots of cell phone pictures.

was told this on the first round he tryed to fire and the shooter put the fault on useing last years reloads, beening old? i do not get it on being old, but it sounds like a extra hot reload.

TGO's own MusicMan blew up his AR with UltraMax ammo. They eventually paid him for it, best I remember.

- OS