AR-15 Question

Goldsquare

I've never heard anything bad about Bushmaster, and I have a friend who shoots a highly modified one in long range competition. I've never seen any indication that they are any better or worse than most middle of the road manufacturers. If I were in the market, Bushmaster would be in the running along side Smith M&P, Rock River, Colt, or a couple others.

Mac

EDIT, looking at the one linked above, looks pretty plain jane straight forward except the 14.5" with the pinned FH. If your local shop has it for right at $1000 or less, you probably won't be disappointed.

Edited by McAllyn

Go to Walmart, they are cheaper there.

Also, I would get the Sig 400 over the Bushmaster. They are comparable to eachother and the SIg runs about $100 cheaper. They are both available at Walmart.

The Bushmaster from Walmart runs $897 then add $90 for taxes and $10 for the background and you are in under $1,000 if you go the Walmart route. You will also have the gun and be able to walk out with it.

The one on Gunbroker is $989 plus $35 shipping plus $35 transfer fee and $10 background. This means you are going to spend $1069 for the same gun. Plus you are going to have to wait a week or two to receive your gun.

The Sig is just as good, actually probably better, and is cheaper. All parts are the same so you can swap out anything you might want to. And Walmart has the Bushmaster in stock and every store that has had the Bushmaster has also had the SIg.

Dolomite

Guest NYCrulesU

I'm no AR pro, but since I am in the market for one I will say this...I just can't justify paying $1000-$1500 for any othe brand AR when an M&P Sport can be had for $700 (give or take).

Just my .02, which is usually only worth .01 ;)

I can get one in Union City for around $770 - $800 went and looked yesterday when i picked up my ankle holster. He always gives me a nice deal on my stuff. the holdter i got goes for $90 and i got it for $49.

may look into the walmart thing too before i finalize this thing. lol

Guest Darthlaidher

I own that same model, bought it at Wal-Mart for 897 the sig that the other fella spoke of isn't cheaper at my Wal-Mart they're the same price. Anyway I haven't had any problems out of mine.

I am iffy on Bushmaster. For most people, I feel they make a fine weapon. I am assuming your average person is just going to shoot it a few times a year and expect few problems without any serious work involving their AR. I myself have seen numerous issues of poor staking and cutting of feed ramps on Bushmasters to be comfortable with them for the price you are looking to pay. I suggest you take a good look at other manufacturers and see what options are available to you and compare / contrast those against Bushmaster. If you find the Bushmaster has everything you want at a price you want, excellent. You might just find that you can get better quality / options from someone else for the same price however.

Just my .02

I would recommend a Colt 6920, Daniel Defense or BCM. Buy a high quality rifle that you will not have to jack around with.

Yes, it may be more expensive to buy one of these than other rifles. There is a reason for that. You are getting your moneys worth. A rifle that is built properly with good quality steel in the barrel and bolt. A chaber that is reamed to proper 5.56 chamber dimensions and a lower that has correctly heat treated parts of the proper grade steel. Save your money and buy quality over what happens to be available at walmart.

You can get a brand new colt for the same 1k you would spend on a Bushmaster at Walmart.. Colt 6920

Once you have a nice rifle and you still want to build one, go ahead. At least you will have one that runs while you diagnose problems on the other.

Buy good weapons and piles of ammunition and mags. They WILL pay off in the end.

Mike

Edited by Mike
  • Like 1
building my own seems so hard to me...

You can buy built lowers and built uppers and "build" your own by putting them together...still can come out cheaper then buying one and there's nothing hard about it other than choosing. If it's your first AR, be smart buy smart and get ammo with it. Go shoot it and IF you like it, then you can "get into building" one for real....

You can buy built lowers and built uppers and "build" your own by putting them together...still can come out cheaper then buying one and there's nothing hard about it other than choosing. If it's your first AR, be smart buy smart and get ammo with it. Go shoot it and IF you like it, then you can "get into building" one for real....

i never come out cheaper but i have exactly what i want.

Guest Darthlaidher

I am iffy on Bushmaster. For most people, I feel they make a fine weapon. I am assuming your average person is just going to shoot it a few times a year and expect few problems without any serious work involving their AR. I myself have seen numerous issues of poor staking and cutting of feed ramps on Bushmasters to be comfortable with them for the price you are looking to pay. I suggest you take a good look at other manufacturers and see what options are available to you and compare / contrast those against Bushmaster. If you find the Bushmaster has everything you want at a price you want, excellent. You might just find that you can get better quality / options from someone else for the same price however.

Just my .02

I took that into consideration, looked at other forums claiming there was no staking done on the gas key. However the staking on the gas key on my bushmaster is done pretty well. The only problem I see with my bushmaster is that the barrel is to thin and heats up way to fast you dump a 30 round mag and it heats up really fast. But other than that I haven't ran into any problems with it

Edited by Darthlaidher
Guest The Dude

while im more into the AK rifles, ive been wanting a good AR as well. ive been looking at the sig 516. i fondled one at my local shop before it sold, and really liked it. when i do finally get the money together thats what id like, but i also like the barret, but will have to save up for a lot longer to get one. kinda stuck on what one to get.

i held the ruger a while back and it was nice. i wouldnt mind having one of those either.

Edited by The Dude