looking to get into the AK game

Guest nysos

I know nothing as far as breakdown, maintenance, and ease of work when it comes to an AK. My question is when it comes to furniture such as stocks, handguards, etc. - how easy is it to replace these things, and from a cost standpoint would I be better off getting one mostly how I want from the get go?

I happily enjoy tinkering with things, and would have no problem swapping easy parts out (almost would prefer it). I like synthetic stuff, not from a tacticool perspective, but maybe its just me but I don't like woodgrain. So from a price standpoint, what sort of AK should I look at - something with wood furniture, a good price, and quality receiver to swap my own furniture on, or wait for one exactly how I want it?

With that being said, what are a couple models I should keep my eye out for?

Also if it appears I am overlooking something, feel free to ask more probing questions. My purpose for the gun is just something else for the collection. I have my own personal list of guns that I think "most" collections "should" have one, and I just have the want for one right now for some reason. Aside from furniture, I doubt I will be doing anything like optics on it. Down the road I may use it for a battle rifle course, so I won't mind it getting beat up either.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you looking for?

Most stocks on ak's can be swapped out for different ones. Some can't without cutting rivets and installing a new trunnion.

It's hard to go wrong with an Arsenal. Almost all they offer is polymer furnitured rifles. They're built correctly and you get factory sypport if there is a problem. I have several and have downright abused most of them.

Mike

You pretty much answered most of my questions. I want a rifle that I can modify with some simple furniture changes, that I can beat and abuse if I want and don't mind it getting dirty. As long as I don't have to do any modifying to swap stocks then that will be what I am looking for.

Personally, I like to tinker and as I have with all my toys, I change things on them or "mod" them to my likings. With having said that, unless you plan on converting a Saiga or building one from a kit, just buy one. There are higher end AK's in the $800 range with poly furniture and there are AK's in the $400 range with used wood furniure. Most anything furniture wise on most AK's can be changed. There are a few that do require more work but can still be done easily with "garage" tools.

Decide on how much you are looking to spend. Then you can start choosing your AK from your price point. If you can afford an Arsenal build or even a RedJacket build, then do it......other than that, they will all pretty much do about the same thing and give you the pretty much the same results...

They are desinged to be made and serviced by 12 yr old boys in caves in third world countries. ;) I'm pretty sure you wil have no problem with working on it. I love the simplicity of the AK and yes they are easy to swap funiture on.

I really like the IZH-332 ( Saiga). With the new import regulations Izhmash is bringin them into the country with the front end already converted at the factory. At around $500, they are a bargain. The rear end conversion is very easy to do. Great way to get into a quality AK and still have the fun of converting it as well.

DSC02702.jpg

Edited by Smith
Guest The Dude

922 is a joke. its a guideline at best. and with the izh 332, go for it! itll make a sweet rifle. convertions are not hard and take only a minimum amount of skill. think of it this way, if you can take down an AR, then you can convert a saiga. not hard. and there are several videos on several websites that will give you a walkthrough on the basics.

For ease of maintence and after market parts available, I think the AK is one of the best deals out there. And the best deal on AK's, especially if you like to tinker, is to buy the Saiga and convert it back to what it was meant to be, a battle rifle! They are fun to do and if you are even remotely familiar with tools, easy. I went with the TAPCO Infusion System for mine. I'm not a traditionalist when it comes to Battle Rifles. I like them to look a bit cool as long they still do what they're supposed to do.

Install a bullet guide and a Saiga can take a regular AK magazine, plenty of walkthroughs abound.

Drill out a couple of rivets and move the fire control group and you can install a pistol grip and a regular AK stock.

The only thing that requires a fair amount of work is the forward handguard. However, there are parts and walkthroughs for those too.

After all of this you will be around the $500 or $600 mark for an equivalent of an Arsenal, which oddly enough is a thoroughly converted Saiga.

If you get a WASR or similar, you can change all the furniture. It is similar to cost of AR furniture. Same as a converted Saiga. The difference is in milled, stamped underfolder and side folder. However there are parts for all of them.

They are desinged to be made and serviced by 12 yr old boys in caves in third world countries. ;) I'm pretty sure you wil have no problem with working on it. I love the simplicity of the AK and yes they are easy to swap funiture on.

I really like the IZH-332 ( Saiga). With the new import regulations Izhmash is bringin them into the country with the front end already converted at the factory. At around $500, they are a bargain. The rear end conversion is very easy to do. Great way to get into a quality AK and still have the fun of converting it as well.

DSC02702.jpg

Thanks for the update on the Saiga's. I was not aware that they are now doing the front handguard. Cool.

I can't tell by the picture but are they now coming with a muzzle break?

Guest The Dude

Thanks for the update on the Saiga's. I was not aware that they are now doing the front handguard. Cool.

I can't tell by the picture but are they now coming with a muzzle break?

no. they have a thread protector tac welded or crimped on for import purposes. this would be the way to go as far as a conversion. all the hardest parts are done on the front end. and your getting the fsb. its worth the money.