buying a new EDC tomorrow, need some input *updated*

reed1285

well in the hunt for more firepower, i am passing my little taurus tcp 380 down to my wife. so tomorrow I am going shopping for a new EDC handgun! The problem I'm having in a decision, is for some reason, even though I have NEVER owned or even shot one, I've got the bug to try a compact revolver. The ruger sp101 really catches my eye, I would like to have a 357, but a 40 or above will be fine. My other top choice is a glock 27 or 33. I realize these guns are quite a bit bigger than what im used to carrying, the little 380, but with more firepower comes more size, I understand that.

Now, I need some of you guys who have carried BOTH revolvers and semi autos to chime in here and tell me some of your opinions on revolver vs semi auto for EDC. It seems to me a revolver would be a little more hassle to carry than a semi just because of the wheel alone, but that may not be the case. Again I have NEVER owned, carried, or even shot a revolver (i cant believe it either), so your opinions mean alot!

Edited by reed1285
Guest bkelm18

Personally, I think snub revolvers make great pocket guns, with the exception of the SP101 (it's a bit of a beast). For me, I'll take the larger size of a semi-auto if it gives me more rounds.

I think the sp101 is a bit big and heavy for pocket carry but IWB would be ok. The S&W 642 or the Ruger LCR are ideal for pocket carry. I carry the LCR, great trigger and the recoil isn't bad for a snubbie .357. It also comes in .38 special.

thanks for the input so far, i forgot to add my main carry position will be pocket or IWB, both are options for me. If i do end up getting the sp101, it will most definately be IWB. Im just wondering how comfortable it will be. I guess that depends alot on the holster

Guest bkelm18

also, what are the, if any, reliability issues on revolver vs semi auto?

Semi-autos are inherently less reliable, but that doesn't mean they aren't reliable. If you buy from quality manufacturers, reliablility shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

Edited by bkelm18

A Ruger LCR in 38 spec or 357 would be a light weight revolver carry. A Kahr CW9 or PM9 would be a good carry in 9mm.

I carry one of these most of the time. I also like the Glock 26 or G36 for a slightly bigger carry gun, these are IWB.

Guest Brianf88

For pocket I have the lcr, the revolver goes bang every time you don't have to clean it often but I do, some jeans it doesn't fit in the pocket. I can hide it in any jacket pocket though. I have been recently carrying a px4 storm sub compact IWB holds 13+1 and it is sweet and will probably fit in cargo shorts.

I sometimes carry my wife's Ruger LCR. If I do carry it it's in my front pants pocket. I carry my Glock 27 most of the time IWB, but occasionally pocket carry that too. I personally would rather have 10 rounds of .40 than 5 rounds of .38 SPL. You might make your way to an indoor range and rent some revolvers and semiautos to see what fits you. Focus on doing quick reloads with a revolver. You can probably put 19 rounds through the Glock in the time it takes to reload the next 5 in the SP101.

Guest No Ammo

Ruger LCR in 38 spec, Hate that gun, wife & I couldn't stand practicing at the range, unless you like PAIN! :surrender:

I carried a Glock 27 for 2 years IWB & OWB, great pistol, very reliable, also carried it in a pocket holster in

my rear pocket, great to shoot at the range, :up:

At times for dress I'll carry a Keltec PF9, Great for pocket carry but Stings the hand when shooting alot at the range, NOT a range gun :down:

At this time I carry a Springfield Micro Compact 45 IWB & OWB, Great to shoot, maximum horse power ;) Heavier that the Glock :ugh:

When I carry every day, I forget I am carrying any of them :rock:

@ the OP - First, you should probably visit a range and rent some .357 revolvers. See how you like the feel of them.

Second, decide on what the largest revolver is that you'd consider "compact." You said you want more firepower. The power of the .357 cartridge increases - significantly - with barrel length. If what I've read is true, at six inches of barrel it is a viable deer harvester.

Third, go check out the following website: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html . It's an easy to read chart that explains what I said about the cartridge being more powerful with a longer barrel. See what ballistic performance you want. Ruger has just put out a new 4.2" barreled SP101.

Fourth, the price issue. I wholeheartedly endorse the Ruger wheelguns, but they go for around $550. The first revolver I bought and carried was a Taurus 605. It cost about $300, and did its job fine. I just prefer the over-engineered, brick sh!thouse feel of a Ruger.

I carry a 2" SP101 and can tell you that the wheel is no hassle at all. Some guys are uncomfortable with a capacity of only 5 rounds. That's a valid concern. My stance on the matter is that A) I would only fire well aimed shots in self-defense, so I don't need a 15 or 20 round capacity in a carry gun; B) I don't go looking for trouble, so the odds of me being face with multiple lethal threats at the same time are slim and none; C) I really like the mechanical reliability and simplicity of revolvers; and D) If 5 rounds doesn't cut it, reloading is not the answer. You need to run away.

Whatever you do, enjoy the process of finding what you want, and get something you really like.

I used to think a revolver was just too difficult to use, as most of the ones I have had heavy, long triggers and rough actions. Even my beloved single actions are rough to pull the hammer back, just have a good trigger pull once the work is done.

Look around, esp at used ones. There are some gems that have light, easy to work triggers amongst all the rough ones, or you can DIY or pay to have the action cleaned up (this is why used ones have many gems). Having shot a few of the better ones, I would carry such a gun. I only have 1 that is usable and its borderline too big to lug around, older S&W patrolman sized gun.

My favorite EDC is the Kahr PM40 If you are accustomed to a .380 that SP101 is going to feel like a brick to carry ( had one ).

i completely understand that i will have to get reaccustomed to a new edc weapon, but i just want something bigger than the 380.

Forget the SP101 for pocket carry, it's just getting on the verge of being too heavy. A LCR is a very easy to carry reliable piece. I think the advantage of a revolver is one can become proficient with it with less range practice. I have practiced drawing and reloads in my living room.

For IWB/OWB the SP101 is a really good buy, pocket carry wise in a D/A revolver though depend's on your skills set. An airweight revolver is unpleasant and takes a bit of time to master, you should try an all steel S&W J Frame and an alloy frame J Frame side by side to see the difference. As for an IWB etc. pistol I suggest a Glock 26 or the Ruger Lc9, the G26 is pleasant to shoot and the Lc9 is very controllable. If possible try to go to a rance and rent the gun(s) your intrested in first to see how they feel to you.

Try to shoot several of these guns at a range if possible. The trigger on my 442 is very different than that of my K40 or G27 and I shoot a pistol much better than a revolver. While most encounters will be over before reloading is necessary, a pistol is faster to reload than a revolver. During the summer months I often find it easier to carry a lightweight revolver in a pocket holster than carry a larger pistol IWB.

well, after a whole weekend thinking about a few certain guns that I had in mind, I ended up purchasing one that never even crossed my mind. Here is my brand new EDC companion. A Ruger SR9C...

P1010606.jpg

I know, I know. A 9mm is not a big step up from a .380, but I couldnt help but love the gun. Heres how it went down.

I went to Shooters Depot this morning for the first time, looking for a Glock 27 or 33, or a ruger wheelgun. Turns out they sold out of their 27's on Saturday ( he said it was packed wall to wall in there that day). And they didnt have any 33's either. So after browsing around for a bit at the other compacts they had, he asked me if I had ever considered a Ruger SR9C. I said I have read about them and whatnot but never held/fired one. The second the gun hit my hand I loved it, it felt really good. After fooling with it for a minute or so, he said well do you want to shoot it, I replied with how much will it cost to test fire, and he said I'll let you shoot 5 rnds out of mine for free. Turned out thats what he carries as well. So we went in the range and I got to shoot 5 rnds through his gun. It was over then, I had forgot how much fun a 9 is to shoot. Very manageable recoil, ammo is always available, and cheap to shoot. So i told him to write it up and a box of ammo and that was it. Got the gun brand new, and a box of remington umc target ammo for under 500 bucks. 496 to be exact. I love the way the ruger feels in my hand, and am very glad he suggested it and was kind enough to let me shoot his for free.

A++++++ to Shooters Depot on Shallowford Rd. I will be a return customer. Oh, and I just placed my order for a Crossbreed supertuck deluxe IWB holtset as well.

• Like 1

glad you found something you like! 9mm and 380 are the same diameter, but the 9mm has significantly more power. It is a pretty big step, and when using +P defense ammo, its a very noticable difference.

I also shoot at the depo a lot, its a nice facility. I have shot 6 or 7 of the personal guns of the staff ... which has netted them at least 2 sales so far.

They are doing a glock competition of some sort so I could have guessed that they sold a number of them. Bad timing, or good timing maybe since you really liked the ruger.