22 Target Pistol, which one?

lshel

I want to get a new or used 22 caliber pistol with 4" to 6" barrel for target practice for me and grandkids? I have tried the SW A-22, it shot good but when disassembled appeared to be cheaply made. I like the Ruger MarK II and III. Which 22 have you had best results with? What would you recommend?

thanks

Smith & Wesson Model 41 if you have the budget for it. I have shot one, but haven’t owned one.

I own a S&W 6†Model 617; it’s a revolver, not a semi-auto, but is full size and is as accurate as most anything out there at a reasonable price.

• Like 1

I own a Walther P22. The P22 is decently accurate, and a fine plinker to 30-40 yards or so, sometimes with luck, a decent squirrel hunting gun,

But it is not in the class of Mark II/III, nor as customizable. That said, for goofing off, I like the P22 better (lighter, handles nice).

Back when the P22 was $225 at Gander MTN, it was a real deal. Now, at current prices, not so much.

Don't overlook the Magnum Research Mountain Eagle http://www.gunslot.c...tain-eagle-22lr (no longer made). I am astounded by the gun's performance and handling (especially for a composite), so don't arbitrarily pass that up if you see adecent price.

Edited by R_Bert

Smith & Wesson Model 41 if you have the budget for it. I have shot one, but haven’t owned one.

I own a S&W 6†Model 617; it’s a revolver, not a semi-auto, but is full size and is as accurate as most anything out there at a reasonable price.

+2 I have both of these and both are an absolute joy to shoot.

I just bought a mark III and I love it ... I've gotten a little frustrated field stripping it and reassembling, but with a little patience and Google I've learned how to get it back together pretty easily. (I have the Hunter model with the Hi-Viz sights and my front sight also started coming loose at my last range session, but again Google shows a little loctite will fix this). Out of 250 CCI minimags (round nose) I had 3 stove pipes, and then out of about 100 cheapo winchester I had 1 stove pipe. Still breaking the gun in so I'm gonna wait before I decide to get the volquartsen extractor.

It is built like a tank, and I am fairly sure it will outlast me.

Ruger MKIII, my favorite will shoot with any reasonable .22. Put in a Volquartsen pre and over travel adjustable trigger, Volquartsen sear, toss the mag disconnect and replace the space with a MKII bushing, installed a blast shield to help prevent dirt, ground some material off the grip (22/45) where the trigger finger enters the guard, cement a partial Hogue grip to the to the grip.

Favorite (for now) is the one on top. Not pictured in this group is my early 50's pre MKI and my AMT Lightning:

2245scropped.jpg

I want to get a new or used 22 caliber pistol with 4" to 6" barrel for target practice for me and grandkids? I have tried the SW A-22, it shot good but when disassembled appeared to be cheaply made. I like the Ruger MarK II and III. Which 22 have you had best results with? What would you recommend?

thanks

the S&W is a fine gun, the only thing cheap about it is that stupid plastic washer that holds the recoil rod in place. It is otherwise fairly solid. It is as accurate as the others. I put the buckmark, 22A, and ruger marks at a tie, and all 3 are all anyone needs unless doing serious competition. After these, plan to spend $1500+ for the next one (S&W 41, hammerli, etc).

I still use a mark II. My wife went a little oddball: she had a custom made cz kadet ($1k after all the work) that does quite well. She likes it but it has a lot of trigger takeup that most target shooters would cringe at. Once the slack is taken up it has a nice pull --- guess its glockish in that regard.

The buckmark can be a bit of a hassle to tap for a red dot. The back end of the gun has 2 screws that disassemble the pistol. If you mount forward of these, you have a front heavy result. If you mount to reuse them, you have to recalibrate the sight after you removed it to clean the gun. Can be an annoying issue. Speaking of how I know this, I have a 7 inch barrel (round version) buckmark with a rail already on it.... but you said 6 inches max....

Edited by Jonnin
  • Like 1

interesting grip by the way, on greycrits. I put a wrap around on mine, it comes off to deep clean it, so it is sub-optimal solution but it works pretty well so far. Also a 22-45. The other type (whatever it is, the regular not 22/45 ones) have many replacement grip options, the traditional target grip style (large, wrist paddle, etc style).

I think the OP has plenty to choose from in the pistols and revolvers mentioned. Many good choices within all budget ranges. I have several of those mentioned (revolvers and pistols) in the <$600 price range and would be hard pressed to pick a favorite.

Guest TurboniumOxide

I have the new S&W M&P 22 and it a well made accurate and fun 22. It also has a threaded barrel for suppression.

Still, my favorite 22LR is the ruger MK3 22/45 target with a volquartsen trigger seer hammer kit with a micro red dot on top.

It has the MK2 hammer bushing for mag safety delete. Mine is an older one that I had threaded for suppression.

My personal favorite would have to be the Ruger MKII and MKIII 22/45. I have 2 MKIII and 1 MKII. Also a MKIII Hunter with fluted barrel and hiviz sights. Of the 22/45s, one is threaded barrel version with a Sig red-dot and the other with stock sights and picatinny rails. Would like to find a ss 5 or 6 inch bull barrel to go with them.

I find myself shooting them more and bigger calibers less these days. Yes, cost is a factor. But it's just so much easier a trip to the range without 30 lbs of ammo in the bag.