Trigger Finger placement

Guest TNDixieGirl

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kwikrnu

I always use the pad of my finger. I think you have more control that way, but whatever is best for you is the best way regardless of what anyone says.

I generally shoot guns with heavy triggers with it right on my first joint, the lighter the trigger and slower I'm shooting, the closer I'll move it to the tip. The average 5-7lb trigger while shooting rapidly is most effective for me rested right in the middle, on the pad.

Yeah, it kinda' depends.

The ball of the finger is generally preferred because it will probably not pull the gun left or right when you fire. But for some handguns, especially in DA mode, you may have to be more inventive.

Really, you need to practice while thinking about what you are doing and the results. What works best for you is the correct answer.

Guest TNDixieGirl

Thanks ya'll. My finger naturally lands right at the first joint. But someone watching me shoot once told me I needed to move it closer to the fingertip (pad I guess). That didn't work for me so I've left it at the joint that feels natural.

Guest gsbell

That being said I also think it helps to have a gap between your trigger finger and the frame of the gun, this helps avoid pushing to the left if you are a righty. For me this equals is the tip of the finger. Some people with long fingers can get away with the the first joint.

Guest db99wj

On the trigger........

Yes my wife has told me the same thing.

I try to start out with the pad, but I seem to move a little and it ends up closer to the joint.

Thanks ya'll. My finger naturally lands right at the first joint. But someone watching me shoot once told me I needed to move it closer to the fingertip (pad I guess). That didn't work for me so I've left it at the joint that feels natural.

I think he was full of BS and was showing off his "skilzs" to a girl.IMO unless your hitting the target,your doing pretty well.

When I bought my first Glock about 20 years ago, I took it into the range at the shop I got it at to try it out. I kept hitting to the left of where I was aiming. The shop owner was in there and he was watching me shoot. I was placing the trigger in the crease of my finger when I shot. He told me to try putting the trigger right in the center of the "pad" and to gently pull the trigger back without "snapping" it. I took his advice and immediately started hitting dead center every shot. I was amazed!! I've used that method ever since with every kind of gun that I shoot. I really feel that it gives you greater control of the gun with less movement when you pull the trigger......which results in greater accuracy.

However, after having said that.....if you're shooting consistently on target and are comfortable with your finger position.....I'd just keep on shooting the way that feels right for you. JMHO :up: