Major %#@&*!@ Rant

Raoul

Lol, so they can buy more liquor? Sure, why not? There was a guy in WA busted recently for scamming the system for years. Lived in a large lake front mansion in W. WA, drove expensive cars, the whole 9 yards. Stuff like that is where we need to be concentrating our rage, not WIC. But whatever, it's not like it will change anyways.

Guest foister82

I at one time in my life considered taking an easier job making less money but I would qualify for stamps and actually" make" more... and that right there my friends is why the system is broken.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Edited by foister82

There's a convenience store a few blocks from me. They sell beer, gas, snack food. Big sign in the window stating that they now take EBT. This ain't no "food desert" either. There's a big full service grocery store 6 blocks away.

It's all about taking care of someone's voting base.

Guest 6.8 AR

Hey, Raoul! I feel your pain :D I remember telling about the woman at Kroger using the scooter store

mobile buying bottled water with her EBT.

Those damned cards are nothing but fraud. And I am really sick about anyone saying "but it's for the

children". Crap!!! Those children would eat better without the EBT program. Maybe their parents would

lose some weight, also.

I used to get really upset about all of this stuff, but I have gotten to the point that I don't let it bother me anymore. Seriously, why get stressed over it? I can vote for elected officials who share my beliefs and values. I can write or call my representatives and voice my concerns, and that is pretty much it.

One day all of this is going to end. We are broke, and the tab keeps increasing at a rate of almost a trillion a year. Eventually the government will have no choice but to cut off or massively scale back the entitlements. People will have to rely on private charities or fend for themselves because you can take 100% of the so-called "rich" people's money and it still won't fix the problem.

We've been rewarding failure and penalizing success for a long long time now. It's become generational. Welfare Recipient has become the profession below blue collar.

You know that there's a recent renewed push from O's admin for stations to air more EBT and WIC public service ad, right? Just in time for the election, "please double check and see if you qualify for what I can give you".

Have you ever seen the official Food Stamp/WIC sites for promotional materials that you pay for, both the food AND the adverts?

http://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/outreach/radio/default.htm

http://snap.ntis.gov/

there are more, somewhere, too...

- OS

Guest lostpass

I used to hear the stories and get all bent out of shape because my money was paying for their drinks at a nascar race, or buying lobsters, or whatever. I mean I expect poor people to actually be poor and all.

That was before a recent trek to the homeland. By homeland I mean Missouri and by Missouri I mean the the rural areas. Rural TN has nothing on rural Missouri if you're going for the yokel thing. Anyway here's the deal, a lot of people where I was get government aid. But that aid has strings attached. You can only spend it on x or y and so forth. But these folks are poor, they can shoot a deer or go to the local church and get food what they want is cash. Cash has no strings attached. So what one guy does is buy the cards from them for cash. The exchange rate is horrible but people want the cash. So that guy buys the benefits and feeds his family in a big way (the amount you get is very little but when you add a bunch up....Steaks baby).

What everyone wants is a way to help the poor where they get the food, so far no real way to do this.

Well, I really don't have a problem with the existence of these programs, but have huge issues with the way they are administered. The intent is that they are a "hand-up", not a way of life. I am all for helping folks out of a bad situation.

I believe that the larger issue is that of money management. I have done a little volunteer work for our church to help repair the homes of those supposedly in need. It is really frustrating to spend a weekend giving of your time to repair the home of someone who has a newer car and larger TV than you do.

We spend a tremendous amount of money each year to educate the youth of America, and little attention is paid to the topics that really meet the intended outcome of an "educated populace". Just a shame that basic civics and fiscal responsibility are not part of the core competency requirements. I believe that those receiving public assistance should be required to attend some type of financial management course.

• Like 1

What pisses me off more is that there is not a chance in hell that anything will be done to stop the fraud and abuse.

All we can do is complain and pay attention to who we vote for in office, locally and nationally.

Unfortunately we're nearing the point where more than 50% are receiving some sort of government subsidy. Once that apex is reached it's a straight shot to the bottom because you know they aren't going to vote for people that are going to take away their welfare cheese.

Unfortunately we're nearing the point where more than 50% are receiving some sort of government subsidy. Once that apex is reached it's a straight shot to the bottom because you know they aren't going to vote for people that are going to take away their welfare cheese.

De Tocqueville's perhaps most famous quote looms ever and ever more visionary:

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."

• Like 1

Are you sure you aren't exaggerating there? I encouraged my SMs to go through the same process. It's definitely no where close to 30lbs and somewhere around 3 gallons per month for a kid. FWIW, with my 2 year old, about 2-3 gallons a month sounds correct. WIC also doesn't determine portion size......the parent does. Considering we're in a supersize me type America, it's no wonder why parents over feed their kids. Other benefits are something like $5-6 bucks a month for fruit/vegetables, 16oz of cheese, beans, bread, and eggs. TN might also have some other things offered but I don't know for sure.

I am 100% for feeding children. Since I have had my son, I look at children in a completely different light. I think it's a shame some people are allowed to have children. Kids should be given every opportunity to succeed, not sabotaged from the get go. If some of my tax dollars go to the WIC program, I have zero issue with that. What else is it going? A new carbine trial that is somehow going to get a different result than the last 3? New uniforms to replace the garbage that never should've been selected in the first place? Welfare for prison inmates? (Thanks for that CA!)

I mispoke.

I just talked to the the person who would know, my wife, and she said it was 2 pounds of cheese a week. A gallon of milk a week and some cereal.

I knew it was more than our child could ever hope to eat. We were big cheese eaters at the time and couldn't eat all the cheese we got.

Dolomite

Too weird. I saw the same thing happen. Well it was one family and one bushel of crabs...but stil.

Were you in South Carolina when it happened? I was south of Hilton Head.

EBT card holders must like some crab. LOL

Edited by R1100R

I mispoke.

I just talked to the the person who would know, my wife, and she said it was 2 pounds of cheese a week. A gallon of milk a week and some cereal.

Dolomite

Don't take it wrong but you're still way off. Going by this: http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/benefitsandservices/foodpkgallowances.HTM, you might be able to get 1lb of cheese per month on food pkg 7, not week. It looks like you could get 4 gallons of milk per month or you could substitute some cheese, soy, or tofu. 3-4 gallons of milk per month seems about correct if you consider cereal, drinking milk, and maybe using it in recipes.

WIC is a completely different program than the often (not terribly surprisingly) misused EBT card. :(

If my tax money needs to be used on something, I would rather it be used on a program like WIC. You can only buy food and certain types at that. It's not like you can use WIC for a fillet or 12pk or carton of cigarettes.

On the list of wasteful Government programs and tax misuses, WIC ranks near the very bottom for me.

Guest 6.8 AR

Sorry, but until people learn to take care of their own damned selves, our society will be another turkey

in my oven for someone else's family, without my say in the matter. You and I know that's wrong.

How about a government program where people who can't feed their own selves, learn to fish?

There ought to be an open season on politicians, with no limit, or political affiliation, that are caught

spending tax dollars on any deadbeat, or encouraging anyone to not work. That's what welfare does.

Modern day slavery.

There is no benefit to society with these welfare programs. Any benefit derived is overshadowed by

all the abuse that the system allows.

they eat good on our money. it is not going to get any better. we have started a generation of freeloadersn that does not know how to work or take care of themselfs.

There is one good thing to come from that though. WTSHTF, they'll be gone in the first 8-10 months and think how things will calm down with them gone? This country would have great promise with that cancerous tumor removed.

Or, How about a government program that prevents people who can't feed themselves from having children.

I'm all for that. Go Bob Barker on this...Have your ghetto trash spayed or neutered.

Guest Torrin

Good luck solving this one anytime soon. With only 50% of Americans paying taxes, it just gets easier for the libs to put people on the dole. Why vote against the team giving you free food and housing?

Somehow if the government teet could be cut off for the 2nd generation of welfare babies we could slowly cut the abuse. After all the gov. has fed, schooled, provided housing and basically raised them so why shouldn't they contribute to society?

Dreaming I know, how could the gov. come to that conclusion?

When the gov goes broke, we'll see where their priorities are. :(

Somehow if the government teet could be cut off for the 2nd generation of welfare babies we could slowly cut the abuse. After all the gov. has fed, schooled, provided housing and basically raised them so why shouldn't they contribute to society?

Dreaming I know, how could the gov. come to that conclusion?

When the gov goes broke, we'll see where their priorities are. :(

They do contribute to society. They reliably vote for increased benefits for themselves, and for larger government to administrate the benefits. This incestuous relationship will continue until it all comes crashing down around our ears.