First 1911 purchase recommendation

mlorr

I have Glocks, Berettas, and Browning (FN HP SFS) hanguns, but nothing on the 1911 platform. Please recommend a quality 1911 to start with that doesn't break the bank. I want something that I wouldn't be ashamed to tell someone I own, maybe around $1000 or less.

Thanks for the help,

With $1000 as your price point max, you can look at every mainstream manufacturer. I've had Springfields, Colts, and Kimbers all below $1000, and each one has been reliable and effective. Personally, if I were in the market for another 1911 with $1000 being my max, I'd buy another STI Trojan, but that's just my choice.

Oh, and there is always going to be the arguement, "Buy an RIA and a brick of ammo." Not bad advice there, either.

Mac

what do you want out of it? It is the AR of pistols --- most companies make one, you can get parts all over the place, and they vary in quality and price and look quite a bit. Yet one is very much like another in the mid price range. There are also the not quite 1911s out there, highcaps and odd sizes and other minor design changes that a purist would not want.

Out of the box, kimbers look really nice and have a good trigger and decent accuracy. If you were not going to modify it and wanted a good looker, this is where I would go. If you do not like their fancy look or want to tinker with it, a more generic model from springfield or colt is a good starter.

I went with para, which I found on sale with the features I wanted. The trigger could be better, but it has been great.

I have no intentions on doing any modifications, maybe changing the sights, but that would be it. I like the looks of the Ruger and the Sig tacops, but have read that the Sig isn't a true 1911. The only version i've shot was a Colt Commander, which felt good, but it seemed a little plain.

Guest RCLARK

Some things to consider...

Size...I'd go with a full size as a first one.

Extractor...The "original" design is for an internal extractor. Lots of companies make them with external extractors. Lots of argument as to whether or not the ghost of JMB will haunt you if you have an external. I own both and they both shoot good.

Firing Pin Safety...Some companies use a firing pin block...others use a light weight pin without a safety to pass the drop test. I feel more comfortable with the mechanical pin block on the gun if I am carrying. Again, JMB didnt design it that way....but progress is sometimes tough on legends.

Ambi Safety...I guess if you are left handed or like the way they look.

Frames can be either Machined from billet, forged or cast. Machined is best ($$), forged is next, cast is ....well, I wouldnt do a cast frame unless it was a .22lr.

Acessory Rail....I have a light/laser on one of mine. Wish I had a rail on my .22 1911 but didnt think about it when I bought it.

Those certainly arent ALL the things to consider...but things that are not often considered.

You should be able to get a nice gun for $1,000.

For around $1000 ( actually close to 1200) I'd go with the springfield armoury TRP. Iseen these go through hell and still keep going. The are US made and well built. Kimbers and Sigs are nice but they are not true 1911s (to the purests) Colts are really expensive and you are just buying the name IMO not a great product. Holy crap, just checked the springfield website and the price has gone up considerably! Go with a Kimber they are good guns and Kimber has a great warranty program.

I read a comment in another forum that Kimber has lost some of it's quality over the past few years as their production level has increased. Is there any truth to that or just sour grapes? I do like the look of the TRP and prefer the front strap checkering.

The Springfield Range Officer for under $1000 or the TRP for a few hundred more would be good choices. SA has an excellent warranty and customer service. Colt would also be a good choice. However you should be warned before getting a 1911 - they are highly addictive. Two weeks after getting my first Colt, I started reloading for it. Now over half my safe is filled with 1911 pistols.

i'm a BIG fan of the SW 1911.

I have a couple of 1911s and the S&W is right up there with the best of them. Some lament the external extractor, but I honestly see it as an improvement of the original design. The new E series is the cats meow because it ditches the 80 series pin blocks for a lightweight part and is very well fitted....it is a fine pistol now that I actually place a notch above kimber.

Guest RCLARK

Any reason no one's recommended a Taurus PT1911? With all the options you get and under his price range, i would think it would be a great option to consider. I personally think they make pretty stellar firearms.

I shot one a couple of weeks ago. I was suprised at how much I liked it. I shot it as well with it as any 1911 I have ever picked up. Trigger was a bit rougher....but for the purchase price you could get that fixed and still have a few hundred left for ammo, grips, mags, holsters, etc. I am on a rifle kick right now. When I get back on a pistol kick in a few months I may pick one up as a shooter.

The Springfield EMP is the only 1911 I wont ever sell and I have owned a ton of 1911's from Rock Island Armory to Nighthawk and pretty much everything in between didnt like any of them,all of that being said I decided to try the Springfield EMP in 9mm and this gun is AWESOME!!! It is EXTREMELY accurate and controllable,perfect size for carry,ammo is cheap compared to 45acp and dont let the small size fool you I decided to try my luck against a 24x18 target at 86 yards and put almost half the mag on target which suprised the hell out of me.

Edited by ~48_South~
  • Like 1

Any reason no one's recommended a Taurus PT1911? With all the options you get and under his price range, i would think it would be a great option to consider. I personally think they make pretty stellar firearms.

Mostly bias based, many of use with Colt, Springfield Armory and like 1911 pistol's just haven't gone that route. I had the pleasure to handle one of the early Taurus 1911 pistol's and was pleased with it but also had no need to own one. However, it would make a good first 1911 as would the Armscor with lot's of money left over for practice. I recommend a rather basic first 1911 with good fixed sights and a good trigger, than just shoot the stuffing's out of it and add replacement part's as you find the need for them. Do as much of your own work as you can and don't worry about the finish because a hard used blued or parked 1911's finish wear's away fairly quickly.

On a used 1911 have a friend go with you who is very familiar with the 1911 and can advise you on any aftermarket part's and the overall fit and trigger pull. The friend should also know what to look for in case the pistol has been throated and ported by someone who has done so incorrectly. If it's factory spec pistol than check the trigger for push off and ensure nothing is binding. This may sound complex but it's really not because it's pretty much basic stuff. Overall I've rarely run across someone who would knowingly sell a problem gun to someone without being upfront about it.

On a used 1911 have a friend go with you who is very familiar with the 1911 and can advise you on any aftermarket part's and the overall fit and trigger pull. The friend should also know what to look for in case the pistol has been throated and ported by someone who has done so incorrectly. If it's factory spec pistol than check the trigger for push off and ensure nothing is binding. This may sound complex but it's really not because it's pretty much basic stuff. Overall I've rarely run across someone who would knowingly sell a problem gun to someone without being upfront about it.

Those listed above and also check the barrel to make sure there is still life left in it. That also is an indicator of how much the gun has been shot. Most used guns are good as new, personally I buy most of my guns used, as it leave more money for more guns. On used guns I just stay away from guns that were holstered just because I want my guns pretty.

The Remington R1 is a classic design and I have had 0 problems with mine. Several thousand rounds.....it is a shooter, but nothing fancy, but it works. Nothing wrong with the Taurus. It has a lot of nice features which are standard. Kimber underwhelms me, and would not be a pick of mine.

Guest Bassman17SC

Realistically, NONE of the current 1911 pistols are actually M1911A1 .45 cal automatic pistols, unless you got one from the WWII era. However, the brands mentioned are all worthy 1911 manufacturers. I would add that for around $1,000 Sig makes a pretty darn good "1911 variant." Both with and without rails.

FWIW, the latest edition of Combat Handguns has a great review of the Colt 1911 Rail Gun (Thunder Ranch version).

New to the forum but not to 1911's. Like many here I have owned several different types of pistols over the years including both combat style and 1911. Pistols I group and define as combat style are ones such as Sig, CZ, etc. They have no true "safety" but the trigger pull is very long, even up to the point of hammer engagement. Both of these pistols have decockers but that is still not a safety. 1911's, IMO, have the best trigger of any pistol available. No creep, can be tuned to 3-5 Lbs, after markets parts are plentiful and so on. If your not careful once you start down the 1911 path you may find yourself in the same boat alot of us are in; nothing other than 1911's in your collection. :pleased: With that said then you get into caliber; 9mm or .45. Oh boy, this could start a huge fight. I have all 9mm's and one .45 - Ruger SR1911. As you know the 9mm is a much cheaper ammo, unless you reload, for a self defense ammo it absolutely will get the job done and if you are going to use this mainly for a range toy why would you need more than a 9mm to punch holes in paper. You don't. I know the 1911 was built around a .45 but it is sweeter in a 9mm. As to manufacturers, I will only speak of my experiences with ones I have owned or handled. Springfield Armory SS Mil-Spec .45 - terrible trigger out of the box. I did a trigger job on it and was able to get it to a respectable 4-5lbs. Fit and finish were very nice but after owning it for a while I let it go. Colt Govt. 9mm 80 series, nice pistol, nice trigger, and I still have it. Gotta have at least 1 Colt if you get into 1911's. S&W 1911 9mm Pro Series - by far the best 1911 I have handled and owned. Great trigger pull out of the box, beautiful finish, tight slide to frame tolerances, more accurate than I ever will be, just a great pistol. If you get lucky you can find one of these used at your price point, otherwise your looking at adding around $300 more. Rock Island 1911 9mm TACTICAL - FOR THE MONEY this is the best pistol you can get. NIB out the door $500 or under, probably the best $500 you will spend. Yes it's made in the Phillipines, yes it has a parkerized finish, no it's not flashy but it functions. And functions well!! The trigger is around 5LBs out of the box and the more you shoot it the better it gets. I have had zero problems with mine and if you research them you will find this to be the case everytime. STI Spartan - If they offered this pistol with Novak style rear sights instead of those adjustable sights on it, I would buy one. I may end up with one and put Novak rear sight on it anyway. Ruger SR1911 - YEP! :up: American made in AZ, very nice matte SS finish, Novak rear adjustable sight, the sights are white dot, great trigger out of the box and a Tactical style 1911 instead of the Govt. If you are dead set on a .45 this is the one. Be aware, they are hard to find and if you can get one for $700 or under GRAB IT! Ruger cannot keep up with demand and most are selling in the $750 - $800 range. Lastly, again if this is going to be a range toy get a Tactical style 1911 rather than a Govt style. Better sights, hammer, trigger, beavertail safety, extended thumb safety, no rail (why would you need an accessory rail at the range) and no front slide serrations. Front slide serrations are probably one of the most uselss things they have ever done to a 1911. Plus the Tactical versions just look sexier! Hope this helps. Good Luck.

I looked at SA TRP over the weekend, very well built and great feel, but a little more than I want to spend on my first 1911 at $1600. I'm slowly gravitating to either a Sig TacOps or a S&W Tactical. The Ruger would be an option also, do the Rugers come with a checkered front strap, I feel the need for that? I don't remember seeing one with it.